Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    22 Global Posts

Default Different Signal Issue

Okay - I'm mystified on this one. I just switched from a Droid X and have never had a problem in my home or office (they are about a mile apart) with a signal. With the Nexus, it is barely locked on a 3G signal, which I found odd. I checked the 4G coverage map on the Verizon site and I'm definitely in an area they claim to have solid 4G coverage. So I got a widget that shows the signal and to my surprise it says I am on a T-Mobile 3G signal with -113dBm. I tried turning the phone on and off, turning off roaming, and using both the CDMA only and LTE/CDMA settings and nothing changes.

Am I missing something? Any advise is greatly appreciated.

Default Re: Different Signal Issue

The widget you're using is most likely the culprit. It's probably not accurate. My guess is that you are connected to a tower, that Verizon leases a part of, from TMobile. The app has a database that shows that particular tower to be owned by TMobile. It puts 2 and 2 together and tells you its 5. Again just a guess.

As for why you aren't getting 4G in a 4G area, thats the big question myself, and a few others would like answered. Just to be sure, verify that your device isn't set to 3G only.

Unless the widget says it supports ICS, don't install it. That is my advice.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Global Posts
    22 Global Posts

Yeah - it is the lack of 4G - and a really weak 3G signal in an area I did not have problems with on my other phone that has me concerned. Under Mobile Networks - Network Mode I have the Preferred Network Mode set to LTE/CDMA, which I presume is what is correct to get the 4G signal.

whats a good app that shows signal and tower?

Quote Originally Posted by FishPharm View Post
    whats a good app that shows signal and tower?
    I tried open signal but that didn't work for me very well.

I just tried *228 to update my cell towers. Does anyone know why that will not work?