Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default 3g and 4g

    This is a question more related to 3g and 4g signals than the nexus itself. While at my house in New Jersey I have great 3g reception, full bars, however I have no 4g unless I am near an exterior wall, and at that point it is usually around 2 bars. If I am just outside I have about 4 bars of 4g.

    Does 3g and 4g travel differently? Is 4g more affected by buildings?
  2. #2  

    Default Re: 3g and 4g

    That's actually a great question. I too have found 4G to be more 'fragile' regardless of the phone I've used. Perhaps the frequency it operates in has less 'penetrating power'?
  3. #3  
    sc4fpse's Avatar

    Posts
    107 Posts
    Global Posts
    108 Global Posts

    Default Re: 3g and 4g

    Quote Originally Posted by Ken7 View Post
    That's actually a great question. I too have found 4G to be more 'fragile' regardless of the phone I've used. Perhaps the frequency it operates in has less 'penetrating power'?
    Actually, it has more "penetrating power." The problem is that Verizon prioritized a quick nationwide rollout of LTE over a thorough one, so there are a lot of 3G towers in an LTE coverage area that do not have LTE antennas on them as well. So while the OP may be close to a 3G tower where the 3G signal is strong enough to penetrate his walls, the LTE tower may actually be further away, and the signal may be so degraded by the time it reaches his house that the phone either cannot connect to it because it's so weak, or won't connect to it because the result would be less than optimal.
  4. #4  
    JoeNM84's Avatar

    Posts
    440 Posts
    Global Posts
    455 Global Posts

    Default Re: 3g and 4g

    Quote Originally Posted by sc4fpse View Post
    Actually, it has more "penetrating power." The problem is that Verizon prioritized a quick nationwide rollout of LTE over a thorough one, so there are a lot of 3G towers in an LTE coverage area that do not have LTE antennas on them as well. So while the OP may be close to a 3G tower where the 3G signal is strong enough to penetrate his walls, the LTE tower may actually be further away, and the signal may be so degraded by the time it reaches his house that the phone either cannot connect to it because it's so weak, or won't connect to it because the result would be less than optimal.
    So this should get better as more towers get upgraded to having LTE built into them?
    Doesn't matter to me quite yet as I'm not quite in a 4G area, but if I drive 4.5 miles east I get it. I'm so close!
  5. #5  

    Default Re: 3g and 4g

    Quote Originally Posted by bmderuosi View Post
    This is a question more related to 3g and 4g signals than the nexus itself. While at my house in New Jersey I have great 3g reception, full bars, however I have no 4g unless I am near an exterior wall, and at that point it is usually around 2 bars. If I am just outside I have about 4 bars of 4g.

    Does 3g and 4g travel differently? Is 4g more affected by buildings?
    If referencing conventional RF (Radio Frequency) propagation, the lower the frequency the longer the range and the higher the frequency the shorter the range, however, higher frequencies have better building penetration characteristics than lower frequencies.

    Verizon uses the 700Mhz frequency band for their LTE (4G) service and 1900Mhz for their EVDO (3G) data service (voice is usually on 800Mhz). So while LTE will in theory have longer range apples to apples (same antenna hight, gain, and power, which equals the "Effective Radiated Power"), EVDO may be better able to penetrate through the walls of a structure such as your house.

    This is only theory, in real live their are MANY factors such as your distance from the nearest LTE and or EVDO antenna, obstructions such as cars, trees, buildings and other sources of RF radiation that might interfere.

    I hope this helps a little. My background is in Amateur (Ham) Radio but RF propagation and characteristics should be universal regardless of the service.
  6. #6  
    CarryMe's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    325 Posts
    ROM
    Stock for now

    Default Re: 3g and 4g



    According to the above link, Verizon's 4G LTE is in the range of 746-787MHz.

    According to the link below, Verizon's CDMA signals operate at 800MHz and 1900MHz frequency bands.

  7. #7  
    CarryMe's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    325 Posts
    ROM
    Stock for now

    Default Re: 3g and 4g

    Quote Originally Posted by mharris7ster View Post
    If referencing conventional RF (Radio Frequency) propagation, the lower the frequency the longer the range and the higher the frequency the shorter the range, however, higher frequencies have better building penetration characteristics than lower frequencies.
    Are you sure about that? Everything I have read says the lower frequencies have better building penetration. See below for example at p. 3, 700MHz section:

  8. #8  
    Channan's Avatar
    Keyboard Warrior

    Posts
    573 Posts
    Global Posts
    574 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default Re: 3g and 4g

    Lower frequencies definitely have better building penetration. The problem with lower frequencies is less bandwidth.
  9. #9  
    CarryMe's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    325 Posts
    ROM
    Stock for now

    Default Re: 3g and 4g

    Quote Originally Posted by Channan View Post
    Lower frequencies definitely have better building penetration.
    It seems intuitive that lower frequencies would have better building penetration. Just think about when you lived in a dorm or an apartment and your neighbor was playing music - it was the bass that came through the common wall.

Posting Permissions

B