Screen on my Nexus cracked need advice

KarbonKopy

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
So my one week old phone has a cracked screen that doesnt work. Odd thing is it wasn't dropped and was just in my pocket. Used it before dinner then had phone in pocket during dinner. Go outside and when I get in the car and take out my phone....cracked screen. I honestly have no idea how in the world that happened (nothing in the pocket but the phone).

I fortunately bought insurance for the phone 2 days ago before this happened and was told it was live right away. Do I need to wait to take it to a Verizon store or can I go right away?

mclarryjr

Retired Moderator
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
You can make an insurance claim on it now and shouldn't have any problems, you might want to try Verizon first and just maybe they would get you a replacement. Normally Verizon would just have you contact the insurance company but being so new I would give it a shot.

bignaz

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
Any pics of it? Wounder is the fortafied glass they used is carp like i expected since they dident go with Gorilla glass.Dont think the company they went with has as high of quality standards as Corning.

Also do you carry the phone with the screen in facing
your body or out?

KarbonKopy

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
I will take some pixs and post them...screen is facing tward my leg in cae I bump. Had a screen protector on it as well but no case. Front right pocket carrier :)

raremage

Nov 5, 2009
Visit site
Ugh. The original Palm Pres had a rash of cracked screens reported from the pressure created when someone carrying the phone in a front pocket sat down. Theory was the pressure on the phone created by something like tighter jeans "flexed" the phone just enough to create pressure and crack the screen.

Given the additional length of the Nexus, it seems reasonable that there would be more pressure created to flex the phone.

If this turns out to be an issue, it would suck. Hopefully it's just a one-time bit of bad luck rather than an inherent weakness in the screen / screen design.

crzycrkr

May 30, 2010
Visit site
Any pics of it? Wounder is the fortafied glass they used is carp like i expected since they dident go with Gorilla glass.Dont think the company they went with has as high of quality standards as Corning.

Also do you carry the phone with the screen in facing
your body or out?

The glass on the device is fine. Most are having no problems. The "rash" of complaints about scratches happen with every new phone, including ones with gorilla glass.

Sucks about the crack, but I'm willing to bet you crouched or bent in a way that tightened up you front pocket and torqued the phone enough that the screen cracked. One of the hazards of a huge screen and a thin phone. Good luck with the replacement.

NewAge

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Sorry to see that! I've always called in for replacements. Verizon will direct you to asurion who will send out a new phone and a package to send back old one. Don't return the battery or charger, headphones etc. I had to pay $99 but the phone was lost, if you turn in I think that $99 is reduced. Let us know what you do and how it goes!

KarbonKopy

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
Yeah I was struggling to think of when I might of tweaked it myself. Was pretty pissed to say the least. After the fact one of my concerns is that I just got the insurance on it and didnt want to look bad because I had just gotten it

JoeNM84

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
I'd go to Verizon and tell them it broke just from being in your pocket like any other phone would be. I think that should be covered under warranty under normal use. as long as there is no signs of damage from a drop or anything I don't see why they would disagree.

revickulous2001

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
The insurance plans for these phones aren't the $100 plans anymore. It's gonna run you closer to $170 if you can't get Verizon to trade you straight for it since it's so new.

If you have to file an extended warranty claim, the Verizon rep at the store would likely just go into the back and give you a brand new one (if they have it in stock) instead of issuing you a refurb. Nevertheless, their new plans are pretty expensive.

KarbonKopy

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
=JoeNM84;1510737]I'd go to Verizon and tell them it broke just from being in your pocket like any other phone would be. I think that should be covered under warranty under normal use. as long as there is no signs of damage from a drop or anything I don't see why they would disagree.

Thought about trying that. There is no damage on the phone at all as its never been dropped but something tells me they wouldn't believe me anyways.

Z Fury

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
Thought about trying that. There is no damage on the phone at all as its never been dropped but something tells me they wouldn't believe me anyways.

They won't. Too many people try to game the system - they are too jaded to believe someone who is being honest. Good luck.

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site

you have nothing to lose by asking. be polite, professional, but firm. make your case and ask for what you want and what you think is fair. otherwise - just use the insurance.

you might want to get a case on that puppy (the replacement) asap. the otterbox defender looks good - sans cheesy belt clip. it should give you good drop protection AND some flex protection - and it appears that flex was the culprit here.

good luck!

KarbonKopy

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
Even though its only been a few days with the insurance you think its ok? Def getting a case this time for sure.

Last edited:

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
Hmm no this is not a iphone so deductiable is $100
The insurance plans for these phones aren't the $100 plans anymore. It's gonna run you closer to $170 if you can't get Verizon to trade you straight for it since it's so new.

If you have to file an extended warranty claim, the Verizon rep at the store would likely just go into the back and give you a brand new one (if they have it in stock) instead of issuing you a refurb. Nevertheless, their new plans are pretty expensive.

bignaz

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
The glass on the device is fine. Most are having no problems. The "rash" of complaints about scratches happen with every new phone, including ones with gorilla glass.

Sucks about the crack, but I'm willing to bet you crouched or bent in a way that tightened up you front pocket and torqued the phone enough that the screen cracked. One of the hazards of a huge screen and a thin phone. Good luck with the replacement.

Personaly i never had any issues with gorilla glass. I droped a phone from about 6feet onto cement and it landed face down and the glass was fine. My Evo 3D never had a screen protector on it and there's not one scratch on the screen. From personal experience the glass on the gnex is inferior to corning's glass. That being said my gnex is also scrachless but that's had a invisashild and the screens never been touch without a invisashiled on it.

I really hope you just got a lemon for a screen. The screen should not break like it did on your phone.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance