Cracked screen? :(

MRW1215

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
I just noticed about an hour ago that there appears to be a large crack running across my screen... The strange thing is, it's almost impossible to see. Not only do you need to look at it at just the right angle, but you need just the right lighting, too. I don't feel it when I run my finger across the surface; at first, I thought it was just a marking, and I tried everything I could think of to wipe it off, but no luck...

I'm not entirely sure what to do... I mean, it's not affecting anything, and like I said, I can't feel it at all, and 98% of the time, I can't even see it. Not to mention, I don't know that I want to go through the hassle of exchanging my phone and having to set it up all over again.

But, at the same time, what if it gets worse? I'm kind of neurotic, in that just knowing it's there is going to bother me a bit.

I ordered it online, via Verizon's site, for full retail price. If I end up exchanging it, what would be the easiest, most hassle-free way to go about it?

trunks527

Nov 12, 2011
Visit site
Lie and say it came that way at the store. Explain you ordered online and just noticed it. They should exchange it out for you if not you may have to ask for a manager. Worst case scenario, they'll tell you to ship it back and wait for a replacement

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

blackjaguar25

Thunderbolter
Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
Lie and say it came that way at the store. Explain you ordered online and just noticed it. They should exchange it out for you if not you may have to ask for a manager. Worst case scenario, they'll tell you to ship it back and wait for a replacement

It's not even lying, most likely. I like to think the best of people and assume that it came that way. Just go tell the truth, and you'll get a perfect phone back. :D

Sent from my Liquid Smooth T-Bolt

mtmjr90

Apr 17, 2010
Visit site
As trunks527 mentioned, worst case scenario, you'll just deal with customer service by phone. I've had nothing but problems with in-store drones, but the phone reps will do almost anything for you:)

Last edited:

MRW1215

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
Crazy thing is, I honestly don't even know how I would've gotten a crack. I mean, I've only had it about a week. I haven't dropped it, it hasn't gotten knocked around at all. Actually, when it comes to little electronic gadgets like this, I'm very careful with them.

If I take it to a Verizon store, will they need my receipt? I save my receipts, but I don't recall getting anything with my order. I might be wrong, though, I'll have to check. Hopefully I have it somewhere, if I'm going to need it.

mtmjr90

Apr 17, 2010
Visit site
If I take it to a Verizon store, will they need my receipt? I save my receipts, but I don't recall getting anything with my order. I might be wrong, though, I'll have to check. Hopefully I have it somewhere, if I'm going to need it.

I had to get a warranty replacement for my original Nexus (speaker wasn't working) and I didn't have the receipt (I live in CA and left it there, but I'm home for the holidays). It took them a bit to find it, but they can find the transaction by IMEI if need be. I too bought it outright so looking it up by phone number got kind of complicated. The whole process took 30-45 mins, so be prepared for a good long discussion with the drones... I had also called Customer Service and they offered to just send me a new one, but being as impatient as I am, I decided to just go to a store instead. So, you'll always have a safety net with phone support if the store doesn't work out:)

Last edited:

MRW1215

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
And, I'm assuming they'd make me let them "set it up" and "activate it" rather than just make a quick swap, right? Is there any chance they'd screw up my data plan? I have unlimited data, because I bought off contract, and I just don't want them to swap it out and activate it, then go "Gotta get you on a tiered data plan!".

mtmjr90

Apr 17, 2010
Visit site
And, I'm assuming they'd make me let them "set it up" and "activate it" rather than just make a quick swap, right? Is there any chance they'd screw up my data plan? I have unlimited data, because I bought off contract, and I just don't want them to swap it out and activate it, then go "Gotta get you on a tiered data plan!".

They just took out a new box, opened it, took mine, and handed me the new one and I walked out and activated it later via phone Customer Service:)

Reactions: pauldroidr2d2

jpbass7

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
I had the exact same problem. Bought my Nexus on Day 1 and a few days later noticed a single crack running diagonally thru an inside layer of the screen (not the top layer). Took it back to the corporate store I bought it from and they gave me a new one, agreeing that it looked like a manufacturing defect. My unlimited data was not affected.

st0ic_1

Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Heh, I'm guessing this is a joke question, but regardless, no, I do not.

Also, if I exchange it, will I get a brand new one, or will they stick me with a "refurbished" unit?

LMAO.. no not a joke. Sounds like one though. There's another thread from yesterday of someone that cracked their screen when it was in his front pocket. He wore tight pants, flexed the phone just enough to crack the screen(at least that's what it sounds like and the way the cracks are backs it up). So I was curious if your phone had been in a similar situation.

MRW1215

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
I had the exact same problem. Bought my Nexus on Day 1 and a few days later noticed a single crack running diagonally thru an inside layer of the screen (not the top layer). Took it back to the corporate store I bought it from and they gave me a new one, agreeing that it looked like a manufacturing defect. My unlimited data was not affected.

Yeah, mine's diagonal, too. It starts at the top of the screen, just a little from the left side, and goes down a bit to the edge of the right side (and it's more of a curve than a straight line). I'm just hoping the person I talk to tomorrow can see it (because it needs the right angle and lighting), otherwise I'll probably sound like a crazy person pointing out a crack no one else can see. @_@

jpbass7

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, mine's diagonal, too. It starts at the top of the screen, just a little from the left side, and goes down a bit to the edge of the right side (and it's more of a curve than a straight line). I'm just hoping the person I talk to tomorrow can see it (because it needs the right angle and lighting), otherwise I'll probably sound like a crazy person pointing out a crack no one else can see. @_@

That's exactly the same position as mine. I didn't notice it at first, but my daughter did. Mine was fairly easy to see with the screen off and tilting it to the side a bit. Good luck.

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site

That's exactly the same position as mine. I didn't notice it at first, but my daughter did. Mine was fairly easy to see with the screen off and tilting it to the side a bit. Good luck.

I wonder if it has anything to with the curve that is in the phone? Especially if you've been able to do things like this with your other smartphones.

eRob

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
They will overnight you a new phone if you purchased it from verizon.com. You will have two weeks to return the old one.

MRW1215

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
They will overnight you a new phone if you purchased it from verizon.com. You will have two weeks to return the old one.

Where, on the website, do you have to go to do this? Personally, I think this would be a fine option, as I have to work this afternoon through the evening, so I'd rather not have to take a not-fully-charged and not-set-up phone with me. I just can't really find where, on the Verizon site, to do this.

MRW1215

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
Just came back from two different Verizon locations. The first one was a smaller place, and the guy made a call, and was told to send me to a bigger location, where they'd replace it for me. So, I went to the other place, explained the situation to the girl, and she took my phone to the back to consult with whoever. She came back and said that, because it doesn't affect the performance of the phone, they can't replace it. She said I could pay the $35 restocking fee, and exchange them out, but warned me that there's a possibility Verizon could determine the crack was my fault, and charge me the full price of the phone.

That last bit really scared me, because I already paid full price for the phone, and I don't want to get charged ANOTHER $650 (plus tax?). So, I'm back here, with my cracked Nexus, wondering if I have any other options available? Very disappointed with Verizon's customer service all around. I mean, I only got the phone a week ago; standard return/ exchange policy is 14 days, and the extended holiday returns/ exchanges are til January 15. What difference does it make if it affects the performance of the phone? If I fall in the return/ exchange period, I don't understand why I can't do it.

Sorry if I'm venting, I just can't help but be frustrated with this. I love the phone, and I don't blame Samsung, Google, or Verizon for the crack, but I just hate that it's such a hassle to get it fixed. I could see if this was, like, 6+ months after the return period had ended, but sheesh.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay