Can't connect to camera?

sahmd

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
I've done some reading and haven't seen this one discussed yet -

I got my GN a couple of days ago and have had some battery issues like everyone else. This seems to be slowly improving as i run the battery through a couple of cycles, so i was just going to live with it.

However, today my phone went through one spontaneous reboot (which didn't happen with my Droid X until it was about one year old) and, more annoyingly, has now refused to open the camera and given me a "Can't connect to camera error" message three separate times. This happens if I swipe left on the lock screen to directly access the camera AND if I try to open the camera from the app drawer.

I am running stock OS, no messing with the bootloader or rooting.

Has anyone else experienced this? Any fixes? I'm thinking that if Best Buy is open tomorrow (12/26), I'm going to head in and exchange it.

XLR8NSS

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
Mine has not rebooted on it's own but, I did get the "Can't connect to camera error" today so you aren't alone. I had to reboot in order to use the camera again.

I am running the stock OS but, unlocked/rooted.

No clue why it did it and no idea if there is a fix. I'm new to this android stuff! lol

sahmd

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
I took the phone back to Best Buy today - they had not heard any other complaints of the same issue (although clearly it's not an isolated incident). They were very cool about it, though - they took one look at my phone and replaced it with no further questions. So far so good with the new hardware.

I'll keep you updated.

eth555

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
I had it happen to me, I believe it was after I opened the app launcher and swiped to close the camera app; at least that is my theory. I have not closed the camera app this way since, and have not had this problem, maybe it is just a coincidence.

mdubahya

Jul 28, 2010
Visit site
Happening to me too, not rooted. No pattern noticeable. Has happened at least 6 times. Sucks a lot - by the time the phone is rebooted, moment definitely has passed.

jan8500

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
I have been having this problem periodically over the past two months with my Samsung Nexus Galaxy. I must shut off the phone and turn it on again in order to use the camera which is very annoying and time consuming. Has anyone found a solution? Thank You

NexiiUnite

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
I've had this problem for about a month. I have an LTE Nexus. I was running stock rom, but unlocked and rooted. At first a battery pull or power cycle would fix it, but It got progressively worse and now I cannot use my camera at all. I have done dozens of hard resets. I've unrooted and re-locked my phone. Nothing fixes it anymore. I either get an error message "cannot connect to camera", the camera app force closes or, usually, the screen just flickers and nothing happens. Very frustrating. Is it possible this is just a software issue that an update will fix?

Last edited:

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
I've had this problem for about a month. I have an LTE Nexus. I was running stock rom, but unlocked and rooted. At first a battery pull or power cycle would fix it, but It got progressively worse and now I cannot use my camera at all. I have done dozens of hard resets. I've unrooted and re-locked my phone. Nothing fixes it anymore. I either get an error message "cannot connect to camera", the camera app force closes or, usually, the screen just flickers and nothing happens. Very frustrating. Is it possible this is just a software issue that an update will fix?

If that was my phone, and a factory reset doesn't fix it, I'd call Verizon for a replacement.

snrsuave

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
This happened to me today for the first time. I had the camera app open and ready to shoot some video when my wife asked me to hold the baby. I pressed the power button to turn off the screen without leaving the camera app. When I turned the phone back on, I got the "cannot connect to camera" error. Had to power cycle phone to get my camera back.

Jet300

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
This happened to me today for the first time. I had the camera app open and ready to shoot some video when my wife asked me to hold the baby. I pressed the power button to turn off the screen without leaving the camera app. When I turned the phone back on, I got the "cannot connect to camera" error. Had to power cycle phone to get my camera back.

Same issue for me. Was at the Grand Canyon a couple of weeks ago when this started to pop up. Was taking a ton of pics and had to be conscience of not letting the phone lock with the camera app open. Otherwise I had to reboot. Needless to say I was very distracted by the scenery. After the third reboot I just set the auto lock for 5 minutes. Only had to reboot two more times after that after locking the phone on my own. Ugh :p

Worst part was my wife kept ribbing me over rebooting while her D3 was rock solid taking blue.tinted photos of the Canyon ... Heh heh

emmib

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
I've had the same issue happen to me 3 times, albeit with a GSM unlocked GNex. I've determined what the problem was for me: I'd swipe left at the lockscreen to boot into camera then hit the home button before the camera has fully loaded. After that, no response from the camera.

Essentially it seems to be because the app is closed suddenly, I think, and chances are it's a driver issue. I have no solution for it though, except to let the camera do its thing before closing it. :p

Last edited:

JustinTiburon#AC

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site

I would have relocked and talked to verizon. Never had a problem with mine.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

jakkzen

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
I haven't had reboots at all yet, but my camera did the same thing today. I have stock 4.02 unlocked/root. I rebooted and all is well again.