Asurion Insurance Claim - Rooted Nexus

xelhabb

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Long story short, a kid at a Christmas party damaged my Galaxy Nexus. I simply wanted to strangle the kid while I cried.

My phone has the bootloader unlocked and is rooted. No ROM flashed yet.

Should I return the phone as it or revert it back to stock? I have heard a couple of horror stories from people who have been charged back for the cost of the phone on claims.

I have no clue as how SBF this puppy back to stock. I did get my hands on a .tgz file that is supposedly the factory image of stock ICS.

Any suggestions?

anthony2558

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I would take the time to unroot it and return to stock. If they do catch it, not even saything that they will care it could save you the headache of what could happen. a person had a thunderbolt rooted and custom rom. Sent that one back for dead pixels, unrooted and restore factory, had no problems. Second one went back for a power button problem. Well a person's dumba@# unrooted and flashed what was thought to be a OTA release, but accdently flashed a leaked "OTA". Well they charged a person $550 for their thunderbolt cause they said a person sent them back a phone with unreleased software. They called about 5 times and they started a "return investigation" by then every thunderbolt was getting the 902 update and they refunded the money. In the persons defense the phone had S-On. It was a shady situation for about 15 days.

Last edited:

Swavek

Nov 10, 2009
Visit site
seeing as this is a Nexus/Developer phone, it should not matter. just for the piece of mind, I'd uprooted it before sending it back.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

JoeNM84

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
It's insurance.... Just smash it up good so they can't even check. Say it got ran over by a car. Insurance will still cover that right?

xelhabb

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the replies. I found an image file to unroot and relock with. OMG! I think of all the hell I went through to get here....LOL!

Well, I bit the bullet and paid the $99 deductible this morning with Asurion. It was $50 previously when my old Blackberry was stolen. But, $99 is better than $700+

Rudolphe

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
Insurance claim has nothing to do with warranty...

Just like your car, your warranty can be long expired/voided if you get in an accident Progressive will still cover ya :)

jdbower

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
But you're charged more because of the abused phone.

Or defending yourself against insurance fraud ;)

Rooting voids your warranty because you can now really screw up the software and you can overclock your CPU into oblivion - it's the people who root, brick their phone installing a ROM and then return it to VZW to fix it instead of getting community help who they're trying to protect themselves against. Your insurance claim seems to be about physical damage which could not have been caused by rooting. As mentioned earlier, you should be safe.

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
Insurance covers everything. If you were trying to get a warranty replacement, that's a whole different story. For insurance purposes, you could just say you lost it. Same difference.

xelhabb

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
UPDATE:

I flashed my former GNEX all the way back to bare bones stock. Factory wipe / reformat. That process was actually VERY easy. However, I did call Asurion and ask if it was an issue for me to wipe all the personal data off my phone. I was told it was not necessary but not a problem. I was informed all phones are factory wiped regardless. Which make sense. The person did make it a point to say some users customize their phones and that was absolutely not an issue because this was an insurance claim on not a warranty claim. I was told if the phone screen was cracked and the phone still functioned, the screen would be replaced, it would be reconditioned, wiped and used for subsequent replacements.

Asurion was AWESOME. They sent me a brand spanking new GNEX in the box. All I had to send back was the old damaged device, without the battery. So I have an extra battery too.

Unlocking was a major PITA again. For whatever reason you have to reinstall the Samsung drivers again and that process is NOT fun if you forgot how to do it, which I did...LOL. Rerooting was a cinch.

I thought I was going to have to install Titanium again and transfer the files I copied out of my old phone into the new one. Didn't have to. The Market pushed all apps back into my phone as soon as I signed into Google services again. Gotta love that! Restoring the app data is not an issue for me. I don't mind relogging into to the normal apps and conquering Angry Birds levels again...LOL.

I read many horror stories online about Asurion. I have to say my experience with them has been GREAT. This is the second phone they have replaced for me with absolutely no questions asked. 5 minute questionaire online, make payment, and one business day later the new GNEX was at my door. The deductible went from $50 to $99, but for a brand new GNEX I am not griping too much about it.

Happy to be on my new GNEX and OH YES, the Otterbox is on its way!

midoriw

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
Hello and happy new year's, East Coasters!

So...I let my father see my Galaxy Nexus and he promptly (accidentally) dropped it on the hardwood floor, cracking the screen.... Needless to say, I'm devastated about my Nexus and just filed a claim with Asurion online, only for them to tell me it's backordered with no ETA. Did anyone wait long for their replacement? Is there hope to be had?

Thanks in advance for any insight/advice you can give!

UserError

Mar 25, 2010
Visit site
I filed my claim yesterday (Friday) afternoon -- and got a brand spankin' new phone this morning -- pretty impressive turn around!! I did the same thing -- made a complete backup of my old phone, then unlocked/rooted the new one, and then restored the backup. Worked like a charm!!!

:D

yourduckedup

Jan 9, 2012
Visit site
I was just wondering for the people that have had a successful claim have you had your phone at least 30 days? I was informed by my Verizon rep I needed to wait at least 30 days until I filed a claim with Asurion. However I have a pretty badly cracked screen and its only been around 2 weeks since I got it.

JMac24#AC

Nov 18, 2010
Visit site
Ugh. I NEVER set my phone down anywhere but my pocket. Always have run naked. Never really had an issue dropping them. For some reason last night at work set it on a counter. Hit it with a tub. Down she went. :( Sucks. Asurion says backordered too. Not happy! However, they are good to deal with. Other issues I have had. Lost, water damage etc. I have always gotten a new phone. Hope that is the case this time as well. For now I am on my Dinc2. I don't ever want to go back to GB!

Touchpaddle

Sep 10, 2011
Visit site
UPDATE:

Asurion was AWESOME. They sent me a brand spanking new GNEX in the box.

When you received it, how were you able to tell that it was a spanking
new GN? :) (sorry... I know this sounds stupid.... :) )

Asurion's rep told me that I'll receive a refurbished or new GN. I'm okay
with a refurbished one,but at the same time, I'm hoping for a new one.
(since my damaged GN is only 3 weeks old)

I originally had doubts about getting Asurion insurance through Verizon.
However, I decided to take a chance and just let them charge the $6.99
per month. I am so glad that I did... otherwise I would be holding a very
wet GN. :)

Jstoehner

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
Just completed a damage claim through Asurion for a cracked screen. They went on backorder the day I filed my claim (12/31) which really sucked. Especially since they can't or wont give you any estimate.

Phone did come 1/9 and was brand new so worked out in the end. Though as time passes I think others will be less fortunate in terms of getting a new one. At some point Asurion will start stocking the certified like new phones.

Sent from my NookColor using Tapatalk

dawgintn

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
I cracked my screen. Thursday bout 5pm I filed my claim. Said backorder, got a email 3 hours later saying it was ready to ship. Got a brand new one. I saw one guy say ship the old phone back only, so I can keep the new battery and my old battery or do I need to ship a batt back with the phone?