SquareTrade Warranty

Buckhorn24

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
They sent me a coupon for 35% off a 2 year warranty which makes it $89 (normally $124) with $99 deductible and $600 maximum benefit. Much cheaper than the $7/month Verizon plan.

Considering a new GN is $650, if you destroy your phone it's still going to cost you the $99 deductible plus the additional $50 and taxes, so about $200. Not sure it's worth the $89 price of the peace of mind coverage to save the additional $500 it would cost to replace the phone without it. Anyone else getting a warranty?

azdmelani

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
i am going back and forth on this also. I have an upgrade in November, am debating if it is worth the piece of mind.

Have bunch of other warranties with square trade, would recommend them.

Josh515

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site
I just came here to ask this same question. I can't decide if I should go with Squaretrade or Verizon. Any more help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Deinonychus

Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
As much as I love Squaretrade, I decided to go with Verizon, due to the fact that they cover theft, too. I just wanted more peace of mind.

eth555

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
I went with SquareTrade, have other warranties threw them. I think it is nice getting paid cash if your phone gets badly broken VS a refurb. Although I can not comment on how good their claims process is since I have not used them.

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I think EnSquared has a better plan. Lower deductable, covers everything, and 2 $1000 claims per year.

Good point on the claims per year. With SquareTrade, once you have enough claim(s) to equal the price of your phone, your coverage is over and you'd have to purchase another plan if you want to continue being covered.

Bob61

Oct 13, 2010
Visit site
I think EnSquared has a better plan. Lower deductable, covers everything, and 2 $1000 claims per year.

I had looked at Ensquared as I had never heard about them until recently. It was pretty entertaining. When I went to their website originally (a couple of days ago) they had a big banner on their home page with "Phone Insurance, 2 Year Coverage" and a "Buy Now" for $58.99 but when you click on it you get 1 year coverage for $58.99 and 2 years is $99.99. See attachments. (Note: I dropped them an email about their 2 year offer and see they changed their website so this states only 1 year coverage now). Seemed pretty silly of them to have such a big blunder on their own website. But I also noticed that they listed their insurance didn't cover Extended Warranty (see attachment as well). After they were contacted via chat they changed their website during the chat to correct this.

Here's a copy of that chat:

Please wait for a site operator to respond.
You are now chatting with 'ensquared'
me: hello?
me: I am looking at insurance for android phone.
ensquared: Hi, how may I help you?
me: If the phone malfunctions or just dies, do you cover it?
me: ANd what does it mean when you do not cover "extended warranty?"
ensquared: Yes we do. The website is being updates as of the moment.
ensquared: Your question actually pertains to "Extended warranty" which is also covered under our polocies
me: Can you please explain that?
me: if it malfunctions or dies, do you cover it?
ensquared: Extended warranty means coverage for sudden malfunction or death of the cellphone. It is covered under our platform
me: I see you just changed that?
ensquared: Nope. What I said earlier "Your question actually pertains to "Extended warranty" which is also covered under our policies"
me: Odd. You just changed 2 impt items on your website within the last 48 hours.
me: So what you are telling me is that if my phone malfunctions and does not work, you do not cover it.
ensquared: We do cover "malfunctions and does not work" scenarios
me: Ok. thank you for clarifying.
me: But you just recently changed that on your site?
me: and the pricing , too?
ensquared: Yes, we are actually updating te site even as we speak
me: where can I read user reviews for your service?
ensquared: Pricing has been brought down to corporate pricing level. So it's the lowest we can go
ensquared: You can check out android.com
ensquared: Some forum sites actually does have reviews on us.
me: but you are a paid sponsor there. seems a little biased.
ensquared: Actually, it's a forum site
me: if i have to send my phone to you, what is the turnaround time?
ensquared: So people do ask, even if we are a proud sponsor
me: and do i have to pay for shipping?
ensquared: 2-4 days
ensquared: Yes you will pay for shipping
me: do you replace with new or refurb?
ensquared: Always new. We never send refurb phones
me: Ok.
ensquared: Is there anything else I can assist you with?
me: How do you compare with SquareTrade?
ensquared: Major advantage of Ensquared over Squaretrade is 1st, the replacement phones. As mentioned earlier, we do not send refurbs
me: Good to learn. Anything else?
ensquared: 2nd is our claim limit. With us, you'll get $1000 PER CLAIM, where as Squaretrade has a unified claim limit (usually about 400-800) spread across all of your claims. Meaning, you can easily use up all of your claim limits with Squaretrade in just one claim
me: I see. That is also good to learn. ANything else you can tell me to sway me?
ensquared: That's basically it. I have to be honest with you regarding this, those 2 are the main advantage on going Ensquared. Everything else should be the same
me: Ok. I work in a school and am paranoid about my phone being stolen by some jughead kid. If that happened, what is the process?
ensquared: Just file a police report (needed for both lost/stolen claims) and prepare your original receipt. Once your have the docs, call our claim center at 888-406-7925 ext 2, pay the deductible and that's it
ensquared: In 2-4 days, you'll have a new phone as a replacement
me: That kinda gives me peace of mind.
ensquared: Glad to hear that. =)​

Just checked their website after the updates. They still can't get it right. Their big ad on their homepage has 1 year coverage showing with 3 claims allowed but when you click through and review the product details it shows only 2 claims allowed in 12 month period. If they can't get their basic information correct I have doubts they'll do a good job at providing service or it they'll be around long enough to provide service. I didn't contact them with that incorrect information (I'm tired of editing their website for free) so that error obviously remains.

Do what you feel is right, but they they just didn't leave me with a warm and fuzzy feeling. They change their pricing on the fly, then change their policy as posted on their website on the fly as well. Seems kind of low class outfit if the guy who is chatting has access to update their website :-\

root#AC

Feb 6, 2010
Visit site
I've been going back and forth on this for my new Skyrocket, and I figured I'd add in my opinion..

I own several SquareTrade warranties on other devices, going back over 5yrs, including 3 other android phones. Have filed 1 claim before and it was painless and taken care of in about 3 days (refund of full purchase price). Shippings free, their customer support is good, and they're are a fairly large/backed up company that I do not worry if they would "honor" just about any claim i'd throw at them.
Having said that, their prices have gotten a bit ridiculous... The last android phone plan I bought was about a year ago. It was their standard 2yr w/ ADH, except it had no deductible. Up until recently, only iPhones had the 100$ deductible. Once you include this into the pricing it get's a bit unreasonable... It's also worthy to note you only get to claim up to 500$ worth of damage then you've "fullfilled" the warranty contract allottment and it's no longer valid. A+ BBB accredited.

AT&T's mobile insurance used to be more reasonably priced as well (deductible wise - monthly wise it's still 7$/mo)... They recently introduced a 3rd tier dedcutible, which brings the newest smart phones up to a 199$ deductible charge for a ADH type claim (cheaper android phones often still fall under the 50$ deductible which makes it reasonable). It's also good to note you can only have 2 claims per year (but you can always cancel the remainder of that years monthly insurance to save you a few bucks afterwards). They also won't insure phones that you don't get through them. They do however - cover stolen/lost phones, which is something SquareTrade will not. About half the time I've used AT&T claims in the past, they've shiped a BNIB or a Refurb phone - so there's no telling what you might get as a replacement.

Ensquared is 99$ up front, with a 75$ deducitble, covering phone/damage up to 1000$. It also covers lost/stolen phones (something I don't understand why square trade doesn't yet). It sounds pretty good, but the fact is it's not nearly as popular/known as ST or your carrier's plans, and one can justifiably be aprhensive about needing to rely on it. About Bob's conversation with the chat rep : I would not really look into the changing website as a sign of being "sketch". It's hard to tell what they changed - but if it's just the "Extended Warranty Coverage - No" - then that can probably be reasonably explained as a typo. And it was brought to their attention at somepoint and a request put in for a site manager to alter it, I'm sure it wasn't purposely being done "on the fly" as you were talking to them just to try to convince you to buy it. Changes like that usually don't happen so instaneously unless most of their techs are in-house fulltime. I'm not exactly sure what the "extended warranty coverage" even is - but it sounds like a time extension off your current warranty, IE +1yr on whatever warranty you have now? Either way, the pricing, and other advertising/blah blah text changes are all quite normal, and perhaps they just don't have a good enough change control process to not screw something up and have to go back and change/fix it a few days later (happens with most companies). It's also likely since it's a newer company and possibly still in an active design stage that a lot of quirks are to be expected. Like the closing html comment in a php comment at the bottom left of this page 2 Year Phone Insurance- Smartphone
lol.. I have also looked through several threads for reviews and I didn't come across anyone with a claim processing problem with them though. Noting on the website issues, general layout, display of legal information, etc etc : they do seem like a more "amateur" company that still has a lot of room to grow to give off the "big boy" appearance of ST, that doesn't necessarily implicate poor service though, but is a bit of a turn off.. Backed by some "AM Best Rated Insurer" - that I unfortunately could not find details from on their/affiliates sites. A- BBB accredited.

GoCare - I've done little research on unfortunately. Their pricings are competitive - 119$ for 2yrs + 50$ dedcutible for android phones. They cover "data recovery" which no one else really does - but may not be important to a lot of people. "24hr turn around" time seems on par with everyone else, but it makes me question why they would have a need to offer a "loaner phone" if service was really that quick. They have some special family plan discounts too. A- BBB accredited.

SquareTrade :
124 + 99 = 223$ for 1 claim. If you use their current -35$ promo or their monthly 30$ promo's it helps some.. 188$ for 1 claim

ATT :
(7 x 24) + 199 = 367$ for 1 claim.

Ensquared :
99 + 75 = 174$ for 1 claim.

Gocare :
119 + 50 = 169$ for 1 claim.

To be honest, you still need to weigh if you actually need an insurance plan... After receiving and repairing dozens of cell phones, I can tell you that:
Depending on what you do immediately afterwards if a phone is dropped in water - it has probably a 90% chance of survivng. Turn it off immediately, keep it off, dry it out completely before trying to turn it back on, clean it out if needed (depending on liquid).
If you drop it and your screen cracks - most phone digitizers cost anywhere from 25-100$, and are a breeze to replace. Also if you can deal with a decent rubber case, it'll reduce the odds of a drop destroying the phone.
Other random hardware failures not do to ADH events - are usually covered by the manufacturer for probably a year (although if you mod/root your phone - some manufacturers can be anal about covering afterwards). Either way random hardware failures are the least likely of problems and will most likely occur within 30 days of owning the phone.
Software issues - I don't know how the warranties deals with these because these are almost always user repairable - use google.

For my new Skyrocket - I'm still not 100% which way I'll go. I'm leaning towards ensquared - if i purchase anything at all. I figured I'd give a decent review and input on this thread, since their seemed to be some potentially unecessary aprehension against ensquared based off that convo.

Endallian

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
Had a last minute thought before leaving 2 phones, Galaxy Nexus and Razr, with Assurance/Verizon for $6.99 + tax and fees = $8.39 per month per phone.
Called our homeowners insurance (Ameriprise) about scheduling for theft/loss.
They don't cover cell phone specifically but they offered an electronics's coverage for cellphones,laptop,TV,DVD's...etc.
$2500 coverage annually for $40.00 a year no deductible and it covers other electronics as well.
Seemed like a deal to us so we went for it and then bought Squaretrade $102.93 incl Tax with a 30% discount (THIRTY30 - one time use per account, 30% off, max $30)

Verizon/Assurance
($8.39 x 24 mns) = $201.36
X 2 phones
$402.72

Homeowners+ Squaretrade
Home ($40.00 x 2yrs) = $80.00
Square ($102.93x 2 phones) = $205.86
$286.86

Savings of $115.86 and we are covered for loss,theft, accidental etc..etc + a little bonus

Didn't even consider Ensquared we can't seem to find an insurance rating of any kind or any private reviews, maybe later, We know Squaretrade.

Bob61

Oct 13, 2010
Visit site
Had a last minute thought before leaving 2 phones, Galaxy Nexus and Razr, with Assurance/Verizon for $6.99 + tax and fees = $8.39 per month per phone.
Called our homeowners insurance (Ameriprise) about scheduling for theft/loss.
They don't cover cell phone specifically but they offered an electronics's coverage for cellphones,laptop,TV,DVD's...etc.
$2500 coverage annually for $40.00 a year no deductible and it covers other electronics as well.
Seemed like a deal to us so we went for it and then bought Squaretrade $102.93 incl Tax with a 30% discount (THIRTY30 - one time use per account, 30% off, max $30)

Verizon/Assurance
($8.39 x 24 mns) = $201.36
X 2 phones
$402.72

Homeowners+ Squaretrade
$286.86

Savings of $115.86 and we are covered for loss,theft, accidental etc..etc + a little bonus

Didn't even consider Ensquared we can't seem to find an insurance rating of any kind or any private reviews, maybe later, We know Squaretrade.
How will a claim on your homeowners policy affect your rating? Typically any claim ends up costing you more upon your next (and subsequent) renewals. Not sure what the impact is with the special electronics rider, but something to maybe ask your agent.

Terrigno

Italiano Papi
Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
I've been going back and forth on this for my new Skyrocket, and I figured I'd add in my opinion..

I own several SquareTrade warranties on other devices, going back over 5yrs, including 3 other android phones. Have filed 1 claim before and it was painless and taken care of in about 3 days (refund of full purchase price). Shippings free, their customer support is good, and they're are a fairly large/backed up company that I do not worry if they would "honor" just about any claim i'd throw at them.
Having said that, their prices have gotten a bit ridiculous... The last android phone plan I bought was about a year ago. It was their standard 2yr w/ ADH, except it had no deductible. Up until recently, only iPhones had the 100$ deductible. Once you include this into the pricing it get's a bit unreasonable... It's also worthy to note you only get to claim up to 500$ worth of damage then you've "fullfilled" the warranty contract allottment and it's no longer valid. A+ BBB accredited.

AT&T's mobile insurance used to be more reasonably priced as well (deductible wise - monthly wise it's still 7$/mo)... They recently introduced a 3rd tier dedcutible, which brings the newest smart phones up to a 199$ deductible charge for a ADH type claim (cheaper android phones often still fall under the 50$ deductible which makes it reasonable). It's also good to note you can only have 2 claims per year (but you can always cancel the remainder of that years monthly insurance to save you a few bucks afterwards). They also won't insure phones that you don't get through them. They do however - cover stolen/lost phones, which is something SquareTrade will not. About half the time I've used AT&T claims in the past, they've shiped a BNIB or a Refurb phone - so there's no telling what you might get as a replacement.

Ensquared is 99$ up front, with a 75$ deducitble, covering phone/damage up to 1000$. It also covers lost/stolen phones (something I don't understand why square trade doesn't yet). It sounds pretty good, but the fact is it's not nearly as popular/known as ST or your carrier's plans, and one can justifiably be aprhensive about needing to rely on it. About Bob's conversation with the chat rep : I would not really look into the changing website as a sign of being "sketch". It's hard to tell what they changed - but if it's just the "Extended Warranty Coverage - No" - then that can probably be reasonably explained as a typo. And it was brought to their attention at somepoint and a request put in for a site manager to alter it, I'm sure it wasn't purposely being done "on the fly" as you were talking to them just to try to convince you to buy it. Changes like that usually don't happen so instaneously unless most of their techs are in-house fulltime. I'm not exactly sure what the "extended warranty coverage" even is - but it sounds like a time extension off your current warranty, IE +1yr on whatever warranty you have now? Either way, the pricing, and other advertising/blah blah text changes are all quite normal, and perhaps they just don't have a good enough change control process to not screw something up and have to go back and change/fix it a few days later (happens with most companies). It's also likely since it's a newer company and possibly still in an active design stage that a lot of quirks are to be expected. Like the closing html comment in a php comment at the bottom left of this page 2 Year Phone Insurance- Smartphone
lol.. I have also looked through several threads for reviews and I didn't come across anyone with a claim processing problem with them though. Noting on the website issues, general layout, display of legal information, etc etc : they do seem like a more "amateur" company that still has a lot of room to grow to give off the "big boy" appearance of ST, that doesn't necessarily implicate poor service though, but is a bit of a turn off.. Backed by some "AM Best Rated Insurer" - that I unfortunately could not find details from on their/affiliates sites. A- BBB accredited.

GoCare - I've done little research on unfortunately. Their pricings are competitive - 119$ for 2yrs + 50$ dedcutible for android phones. They cover "data recovery" which no one else really does - but may not be important to a lot of people. "24hr turn around" time seems on par with everyone else, but it makes me question why they would have a need to offer a "loaner phone" if service was really that quick. They have some special family plan discounts too. A- BBB accredited.

SquareTrade :
124 + 99 = 223$ for 1 claim. If you use their current -35$ promo or their monthly 30$ promo's it helps some.. 188$ for 1 claim

ATT :
(7 x 24) + 199 = 367$ for 1 claim.

Ensquared :
99 + 75 = 174$ for 1 claim.

Gocare :
119 + 50 = 169$ for 1 claim.

To be honest, you still need to weigh if you actually need an insurance plan... After receiving and repairing dozens of cell phones, I can tell you that:
Depending on what you do immediately afterwards if a phone is dropped in water - it has probably a 90% chance of survivng. Turn it off immediately, keep it off, dry it out completely before trying to turn it back on, clean it out if needed (depending on liquid).
If you drop it and your screen cracks - most phone digitizers cost anywhere from 25-100$, and are a breeze to replace. Also if you can deal with a decent rubber case, it'll reduce the odds of a drop destroying the phone.
Other random hardware failures not do to ADH events - are usually covered by the manufacturer for probably a year (although if you mod/root your phone - some manufacturers can be anal about covering afterwards). Either way random hardware failures are the least likely of problems and will most likely occur within 30 days of owning the phone.
Software issues - I don't know how the warranties deals with these because these are almost always user repairable - use google.

For my new Skyrocket - I'm still not 100% which way I'll go. I'm leaning towards ensquared - if i purchase anything at all. I figured I'd give a decent review and input on this thread, since their seemed to be some potentially unecessary aprehension against ensquared based off that convo.

Off topic but that right there my friend, is what I consider "Total Commitment into a post"! Job well done!

rjack22

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
I was just checking out Ensquared. Can someone tell me what "Once-Off" means?

Is their deductable $99 (Once-Off?) or $75? I am confused.

Last edited:

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
Homeowners+ Squaretrade
$286.86

I'm confused...If you bought the homeowners plan, why would you also get the Squaretrade plan on top of it? Seems like an unnecessary $205.

bigcatman

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
You do realize that BBB accreditation means squat right? You basically pay them money and they give you an A+.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Endallian

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
How will a claim on your homeowners policy affect your rating? Typically any claim ends up costing you more upon your next (and subsequent) renewals. Not sure what the impact is with the special electronics rider, but something to maybe ask your agent.
Great question bob61 it would suck to make a claim for only $650 and have it raise my all my rates.
I inherently distrust all insurance companies,that said, we had a tree come through our roof a few years ago, they covered a fairly expensive repair and our rates didn't go up at all.

Here is a reliable Insurance rating site...you do need to create a free log-in.
A.M. Best Company
Warranty rating site (no idea how reliable this site is)
Extended Warranty Services Review 2012 | Extended Electronics Warranties | Extended Service Contract - TopTenREVIEWS

Endallian

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
I'm confused...If you bought the homeowners plan, why would you also get the Squaretrade plan on top of it? Seems like an unnecessary $205.
greydarrah Homeowners only covers Loss & Theft

"SquareTrade Smartphone warranty covers your Smartphone for up to 2 years, starting on the date of purchase.
Covered Issues: Both accidents (e.g., broken screen or other damage through drops AND liquid damage including full immersion) and out-of-warranty normal use failures (e.g.,hardware failures or malfunctions) are covered. We do not cover loss, theft, willful damage or damage occurring through gross misuse."