SwiftKey X and ICS Keyboard Question...

Rickgsx

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
I posted this thread in the Application section, but I didn't make any progress... so I thought I would repost here to see if some of the pro's can help out...

I have two questions that for the life of me I can not figure out.... I tried to do a search on the forum to no avail... My questions are...

1. How the heck can I select, copy/cut/paste text using SwiftKey..? for the life of me I have not been able to figure this out.. it was very easy when I was using "Swipe"... but cant figure it out wiht this app.

2. Does SwiftKey X allow you type using "swipe" like dragging...?

One example would be...
- From my home computer, I copy 100 "different" Command Line actions and switches (I'm an IT guy) into a notepad and put them on Dropbox
- From work, I want to goto Dropbox via my phone and "Copy" or Cut & Paste a "SINGLE" command line (Not the entire 100 lines) from my notepad in dropbox and paste it in a txt message and send it off to a co-worker..

On my old phone (Droid-X) I was able to do this very easily using Swype by doing the following
- Goto my notepad in dropbox
- From the swype keyboard, select Fn + SYM and this would bring up a submenu
- From the submenu, I was able to "Select Text" and click Cut/Copy/Paste/End/Home or whatever..
- Then goto my txt application (ChompSMS) and click Paste and it would paste the txt I wanted

Hopefully this is a better example of my question.... As a note, the only keyboards I'm using on my Gnex is the Factory Android and SwiftKeyX... I tried to look for Swype Keyboard but they haven't realease it for ICS yet... I heard its still in development.

Also, if there is a 3rd Party App that does Cut/Copy/Paste, etc... between apps, I would be happy to hear about those as well...

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer....

anon(79053)

Oct 30, 2010
Visit site
On my phone I opened a text file on Dropbox with a Notepad app. If the cursor is at the end of the line, I can't select text when I long press. But if I long press on the last word, it will highlight it and then have drag cursors around the word. Then I drag the lead cursor to the beginning of the line and that way I can select the entire line. From there it's just copy and paste to another app. BTW, the copy icon is in the upper right corner.

S281

Sep 9, 2011
Visit site
With swiftkey, it doesnt do word prediction on this site (mobile) ,or many others ,which is a big downfall.

seanubis

Feb 8, 2010
Visit site
Picture = 1k words :)

ics_select.png

(I agree, this isn't nearly as handy as the editing keys that Swype provides, but it'll do until Swype is available for the GN.)

Last edited:

Rickgsx

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
Thank you for the feedback...

Based on the suggestions and screenshots above (Nice screenshot btw)...I have found an easier way to Cut/Copy.... by clicking on my notepad in dropbox and selecting it to open with ES Editor.... HOWEVER, the issue is... when I goto ChompSMS to past the txt, I do not have an option to Paste... even if I long press...

THoughts...? and yes, I can NOT wait for Swype to come out for the GN... I really miss that feature...

yosteve

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
Downloaded Swype to the GNex last night, search these forums. Imo, touchpal has the best copy and paste interface, it has select all and arrow keys and even a Swyping function and voice to type and a dedicated hide keyboard button. But its prediction leaves a lot to be featured. Too bad.

Rickgsx

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
When I had my DX I LOVED swype...then when I got the GNex I did some research on newer apps...and one of them was the SwiftKey x Keyboard with its predictions...

To be honest... I really only want Swype for the Cut/Copy/Paste, portion of the application... I prefer to use the SwiftKeyX for the primary keyboard for the predictions. I find that I can txt faster with SwiftKeyX faster then Swype...

And my backup keyboard is the Factory Android..... the voice recognition is AWESOME... but I do want to look TouchPal to see how that works.... and look for Swype... You dont recall where you downloaded it on here...? if so, please post up the link...

Thanks...

Rickgsx

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
Okay... I think we can safely call this Assignment Completed...LOL...

Found and downloaded Swype for the Gnex...and it works awesome..!!

And although I hate to have 3 different keyboards to perform these functions that I needed... until I can find one that does them all... it is what it is...

Here's what I have todate...
- Android Keyboard... used for Voice Reconition ONLY... works awesome
- SwiftyKey X - Physical Key typing, texting with Great Predictions
- Swype - Used for VERY CLEAN Copy/Cut/Paste, etc... features.... also note, the Swype feature as well as the Voice Reconition also works well....

Thank's to everyone that provided ideas and suggestions...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samyblaze