Do you really experience signal issue with your GN?

Do you own a GN, and experience the signal issue?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Gasaraki

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
I had times where I was in a very strong 4G area and suddenly I would lose all data both 3g and 4g. It would then come back after awhile. Where I live I get moderate 3g with my Droid X but the GN would keep dropping 3g signal and come back drop and come back. I have a feeling if the signals were better, the battery would last longer. :'(

willstilson

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
Sorry to be a downer, but we are in the minority, which is why I strongly suspect whatever is causing this won't be fixed in 4.0.3.

Although we are the minority, there are still more of us than I originally thought. I agree that it probably won't be fixed in 4.03, but I think that there really is an issue, and it can't be ignored....I hope.

mears

Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
Just out of curiosity, you don't happen to use some battery saving app or taks killer app?

Nope, nothing. Phone also underwent a factory reset courtesy of Verizon's "troubleshooting" end of last week.

Also, have you flashed the 4.0.3 baseband yet (if you are rooted)?
I haven't, and I'm not rooted. I've been holding off on rooting since I'm more than likely going to tell VZW where to stick this phone ;)

mitra88

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
Nope, nothing. Phone also underwent a factory reset courtesy of Verizon's "troubleshooting" end of last week.

I haven't, and I'm not rooted. I've been holding off on rooting since I'm more than likely going to tell VZW where to stick this phone ;)

I see, and I totally understand that. It also took me a few days before I rooted my GN because of my concern about ongoing issues. :D

I just asked you about the baseband, because it seems like I haven't experienced this complete loss of data connection since I flashed the 4.0.3 baseband. I might be wrong, but all my data connection loss happened before I flashed it (during the first 5 days since the purchase). Can anyone also let me know if you are flashed with 4.0.3 baseband and are still experiencing the periodic data connection loss?

B

budmonster

Ditto. My data issues are real. And when I have low data connectivity my phone goes to . I'm going to wait patiently for Google to fix. I always have my ReZound if worse comes to worse. :-\

Is your Rezound getting better speeds? What is the difference in your 4G speed between phones? I'm going to switch if something is done, but I want to make sure that If I do get a Rezound that I will see an improvement. If not I'm just going to stick with my GNEX.

nkd

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Please stop bashing people that are complaining. I didn't have too many issues at first atleast thats what I thought and today with all 4 bars and -75dbm signal the phone dropped data about 5 times sitting in my car and twice outside verizon store when I was returning a case. I had no bars while the demo rezound had 4 bars and 4g lte.

I don't use my phone that much and today I was using it alot and I noticed it. Who knows how much it has happened while it was just sitting there.

I came home and I was really abusing my phone on 4g and I had good signal than aroud 8 pm I picked up the phone and there it was, no 4g symbol and no bars. I was like WTF. If I wasn't paying that much attention to my phone it likely would have gone unnoticed. I love the phone the OS, but the random data drops are starting to piss me off. It could go without a problem for an hour and another second it would randomly drop all data, the phone should not be going from -93dbm for 20 mins to -120dbm in 30 mins sitting in the same location.

Even the verizon store rep told me that he has had alot of people come back and note a complaint about the phone and he said he wishes they waited to launch the phone.

The experience has been up and down. The phone sometimes never drops if I am using it alot and it has random occurances of drop outs, which I believe can be fixed with tweaks to the radio.

Last edited:
Reactions: jroc and Ken7

mitra88

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
Please stop bashing people that are complaining. I didn't have too many issues at first atleast thats what I thought and today with all 4 bars and -75dbm signal the phone dropped data about 5 times sitting in my car and twice outside verizon store when I was returning a case. I had no bars while the demo rezound had 4 bars and 4g lte.

I don't use my phone that much and today I was using it alot and I noticed it. Who knows how much it has happened while it was just sitting there.

I came home and I was really abusing my phone on 4g and I had good signal than aroud 8 pm I picked up the phone and there it was, no 4g symbol and no bars. I was like WTF. If I wasn't paying that much attention to my phone it likely would have gone unnoticed. I love the phone the OS, but the random data drops are starting to piss me off. It could go without a problem for an hour and another second it would randomly drop all data, the phone should not be going from -93dbm for 20 mins to -120dbm in 30 mins sitting in the same location.

Even the verizon store rep told me that he has had alot of people come back and note a complaint about the phone and he said he wishes they waited to launch the phone.

I am in no way trying to bash people who are expressing their complaints, and I am pretty much confident that no one who's looking at this thread would, either. I have always been a supporter of possible signal issue from the day one - 12/15. I have always been trying my best to remain as an objective evaluator of those complaints.

Complaints so far, however, sometimes have been directed to the wrong way, IMO. First, the number of bars. Second, the signal strength display. Third, the speedtest.net result. I just wanted to make complaints coming out of forum members as legitimate as possible to the eyes of VZW, Google, and/or Samsung.

nkd

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I am in no way trying to bash people who are expressing their complaints, and I am pretty much confident that no one who's looking at this thread would, either. I have always been a supporter of possible signal issue from the day one - 12/15. I have always been trying my best to remain as an objective evaluator of those complaints.

Complaints so far, however, sometimes have been directed to the wrong way, IMO. First, the number of bars. Second, the signal strength display. Third, the speedtest.net result. I just wanted to make complaints coming out of forum members as legitimate as possible to the eyes of VZW, Google, and/or Samsung.

True, I hate those speed results, those will be different depending on location and coverage. I have hit even 30mb mile from my house, so I could care less. I am happy with 5-10 to be honest. I just want stability on the signal end. I am experiencing the same that others are experiencing. I was in very well I mean all bars -75dbm signal area sitting in my car outside verizons store and the phone dropped all signal, reconnected and than dropped again. I was just disappionted and switched to 3g. I have no issues with 3g, the signal is definitely weaker than the droid razr I had at my abouse by about -10 to -15 dbm but it is very very stable. I have neve lost 3g at my house or any other good service area. Just bothered by the random drops and than working fine for an hour and than a random drop again. Just hate that phone could go from -90dbm to -120dbm sitting in the same location on 4g.

CBMC

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site

The experience has been up and down. The phone sometimes never drops if I am using it alot and it has random occurances of drop outs, which I believe can be fixed with tweaks to the radio.

I can tell you that I am experiencing the same issues. Random drops a few times a day.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

tcapote

Geek Freak
May 15, 2010
Visit site
I live in a strong 4g area and have been monitoring battery and signal. I have had zero dropped calls and zero signal loss. Very happy. If there is an issue, I am not experiencing anything.

mears

Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
A typical symptom of the hand-off / authentication problem here. It looks like the hand-off of the radio occured, but it was not reauthenticated, thus causing the complete disconnection of the network.

Not sure...
When your device fails to authenticate on the network (for any reason ? and there are a gamut of possibilities), Verizon will kick you off the data side (not voice, though), either 3G or 4G.

When I drop connectivity, I lose voice too.

Reactions: jroc

Jumper_jax

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
I don't really have many signal issues. It seems to be the same signal I got with my Droid x, better in some places thanks to 4g though. I actually get better 4g signal in my house and at work than I got with 3g on the DX...

The only problem I've noticed is that I'll sometimes drop signal, to where I have no connection at all then like 30 seconds later it fixes itself. Not all that prominent though.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Speaking for myself I had real issues with signal on the GN I live in a area that's not got strong 4g coverage and inside my plant doesn't either. Yet with tests performed for Verizon engineers for over an hr driving to different areas in and out of 4g coverage the GN showed issues with radio signal and was confirmed by the engineer I was working with. My Rezound has 4g service in areas the GN wouldn't pull in 3g
I bet those whom dont see issues live in a highly saturated 4g market area. Thing is those are same ones who claim over and over they have no issues just like those who do have issues.

sent from my Rezound using Tapatalk

For an engineer at VZW, or a tech?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
I had issues, but either I fixed it, or VZW fixed their network issues... Now I see both consistant connections and much improved battery life.

scodoublet

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
My first Galaxy Nexus had terrible signal issues. It wouldn't maintain a data connection for more than a couple minutes if at all and I couldn't send a text or MMS at all. I could receive messages and get calls fine though. I had to take it back to the store and get it replaced because the original seemed to be DOA.

The new phone has a solid 3G signal and I haven't had many issues sending or receiving texts or calls. I haven't had trouble since Verizon's nation wide outage that happened a week or so ago.

jim2112

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
I liked many things on the gn and hope they work out any problems. People who live in a strong signal area May not notice a problem. I live in and travel in weak signal areas. I had about 20 dBm stronger signal on the rezound and much faster data. In good 4g area I averaged 9mbps on gn and 17mbps on the rezound in the same location at the same time. In cdma only I averaged .5 mbps on the gn and 1.5mbps on the rezound. I traded in my gn for a rezound.

Sent from my Rezound using Tapatalk

kesnik

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
I am experiencing the handoff issues where I lose data for a period of time. It recovers data connectivity eventually but on a couple occasions I have needed data and was forced to wait for the phone to re-connect or power cycle. It?s obviously a bug and becoming very annoying.

For the record I am not complaining, just reporting my experience. Aside from this issue this is the best phone I have ever owned. I love ICS, the design, construction, screen (size and quality), battery life (extended battery w/facebook and Google + uninstalled), right down to the snap that the USB charging cable makes when connected.

-Kesnik

Ken7

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Because those few complainers threads get pushed to the bottom so they just continue posting the same thing over and over again making it look like more people are having issues than really are. Not to mention most that have the phone have no issues and will not post on forums like these, it is only the ones with issues that post making it look like "everyone" has issues.

And with the current poll showing about 55% of owners ARE having reception problems, it looks like you're wrong. The numbers don't surprise me in the least, but just as is true with other issues that some would like to ignore, I'm sure many will offer excuses for these poll numbers.

I'm glad somebody created this poll so it will become clear to those that call some 'whiners', the reception issues are real, very real. Nobody is trying to make it look like 'more people are having issues than really are'.

I suspect most owners that have reception issues like myself, love the phone but want to see the issue resolved. Burying our heads in the sand will not get these issues addressed. We're striving for a better GNex, not one that stagnates.

Reactions: nj1266 and jroc

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34