Unexpected benefit of the Nexus - 5ghz wifi

Vance14

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
I upgraded from the Thunderbolt and also recently installed a dual-band router with 2.4 ghz and 5 ghz. The Nexus picks up the 5ghz band, but my Thunderbolt wouldn't. The result is a much faster connection on the less crowded 5ghz band! Very nice!

Unfortunately, my wife's DINC can only connect to the 2.4 ghz band, which for some reason is a worse connection than the 2.4ghz on my old router. She has resorted to using 3G at home instead.

Now, I have to get an adapter to allow my Xbox to hook up to the 5ghz band and I will be set!

aggie

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
this is one of the things i love about the GNex. I have a baby monitor that causes all kinds of interference on the 2.4 ghz band and kills the wifi reception for my windows laptop and my thunderbolt. Only my 5ghz devices (macbook and iPad) would connect to the wifi network when the monitor was on and I prefer not to use either of those when laying around on the couch or bed. I chewed through tons of data on my thunderbolt but have seen my usage fall considerably since getting the nexus. Good thing to have in the event Verizon ever cuts out all unlimited data plans (even grandfathered ones). Hopefully it never comes to that but who here doesn't think Verizon has entertained the idea?

Vance14

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
That is very true, my wife can afford to stay on 3G because she has unlimited data, otherwise we would have to figure something else out. But it is annoying that the 2.4ghz signal on my dual-band router is more trouble than the 2.4ghz on my older router. I wonder if this is common with dual-band routers.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
klesun