you thought lack of multitasking was bad

yosteve

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
I noticed that clicking between web browser tabs had to reload the tab. Now how much data does that waste? I don't think it does that every time but it does do that. Shouldn't it be the point of tabs?

One of the best features of windows phone.

iBowToAndroid

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
I noticed that clicking between web browser tabs had to reload the tab. Now how much data does that waste? I don't think it does that every time but it does do that. Shouldn't it be the point of tabs?

One of the best features of windows phone.

Yea I've noticed this too - usually does it if you leave the browser and go back in, too.

Sucks.

thebrain73

Jul 17, 2011
Visit site
I can jump between open browser tabs and no refresh takes place. Maybe it is the web pages you are viewing. I know some pages constantly refresh depending on the type of ads on them.

ETA: I can also jump in and out of the browser app and no page refreshing takes place. How ever i cannot get spell correct to work in the browser anywhere.

Last edited:

CynicX

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
This has to be a software issue. Android will do this on purpose when it needs the resources of background task (even though I wouldnt consider another tab "background").

Android tablets can multitask pretty well. I can run gta3 and come back to this tab without it reloading. Since the gnex is potentially more powerful it should be able to handle the same or better amount of multitasking...

EggoEspada

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
I can jump between open browser tabs and no refresh takes place. Maybe it is the web pages you are viewing. I know some pages constantly refresh depending on the type of ads on them.

ETA: I can also jump in and out of the browser app and no page refreshing takes place. How ever i cannot get spell correct to work in the browser anywhere.

Did you change any settings relating to multitasking and processes? It seems most have this issue with the browser and multitasking in general -- including me.

It's definitely becoming an annoyance. ICS's idea of multitasking is just app switching, without actually saving the state. I don't know why it's this way and if it's just a bug, but I don't like it. I want at least app switching like Windows Phone or iOS.

elvisgp

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
Did you change any settings relating to multitasking and processes? It seems most have this issue with the browser and multitasking in general -- including me.

It's definitely becoming an annoyance. ICS's idea of multitasking is just app switching, without actually saving the state. I don't know why it's this way and if it's just a bug, but I don't like it. I want at least app switching like Windows Phone or iOS.

Android actually has true multitasking, unlike iOS and wp7 which have app switching. Android will kill any background processes that it needs to to complete another process. Btw, the tab reload issue isn't custom to android, it happens all the time on my Ipad.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Last edited:

yosteve

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
My brothers experia runs android and it multitasks fine without reload. Perhaps it's a skin. But to say it handles it better is moot of it actually has to reload.

Last edited:

thebrain73

Jul 17, 2011
Visit site

I have not changed any settings, in the developers section of settings background process limit is set to standard. All other options are unchecked.

richardpandy

Feb 26, 2010
Visit site
THis is something that I thought they were going to address with Gingerbread. I absolutely hate browsing the web and doing things and then leave the browser to send a text or something and next thing you know I have no service and it wants to force reload the page that I was on, so I can no longer read the text that was there. It's pretty ridiculous that this is still an issue and needs to be fixed.

iBowToAndroid

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
ICS's idea of multitasking is just app switching, without actually saving the state. I don't know why it's this way and if it's just a bug, but I don't like it. I want at least app switching like Windows Phone or iOS.

Way off. WP and iOS are the ones that save the state. Android does true background multitasking

Reactions: elvisgp