Lock screen not responding to touch (Intermittent)

sjkellyfetti

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
I wanted to throw this out there to see if anybody else has had a touch problem on the lock screen with their Galaxy Nexus and ask advice on if I should be returning this phone for a new one. FYI, I unlocked the bootloader within 20 minutes of buying the phone so I wouldn't have to reconfigure it later (if that matters).

I first experienced an issue with my Galaxy Nexus on Dec 17 (got the phone on Dec 15). We were out for the day and I had just dropped the phone while walking on a paved path - the phone is in an Otterbox Defender case at the time (My OG Droid took lots of drops and abuse and survived, but this is not built like that tank of a phone and I know I am clumsy, so bought the biggest helmet I could find it before taking it out in public).

I pick up the phone, take it out of the holster (the whole holster came off my belt when it dropped, due to me accidentally locking the belt clip open in kickstand mode, which I didn't even realize it could do until that point), and turn it on and see the lock screen (Whew, it still works) and put it back on my belt. A bit later I pull out the phone to check something, and while the power button works and the lock screen comes up, the screen will not respond to my touch AT ALL. It has the built in screen protector - I wonder at the time if that is the problem, so I take it out of the case and try again. Nothing, no response. I break out in a cold sweat (GAH! BROKE MY NEW BABY ALREADY?!?) and try, try again, with no luck. I manually lock, unlock, try again, nothing.

I pry the back off, do a battery pull and reboot it. It reboots and when I get to the lock screen, it works and I unlock it. I lock it and try to unlock it again, and the same problem occurs. WTF?!? I battery pull again, it works, and then won't respond to touch after the first unlock, again. At this point I am feeling sick to my stomach, but I am an hour from home and the nearest VZW store, so I put it back in the holster and try to enjoy my day out, figuring I can;t do much until I get home. Later, when we get back to our car, I try it for fun and there is no problem. Unlock, lock, unlock, lock... Um....

So I drive home, and try again at home, no problem. I think "that was weird" and decide I will keep an eye on it for a few days before I go digging for how to relock the bootloader so I can take it back to VZW. Everything works fine and I have no issues for the whole week, until Christmas eve (Dec 24).

That day, while rushing around cleaning, I knock the phone off the counter onto the floor. I pick it up and check it. Sure enough, it is not responding to touch. I uncase the phone and do the battery pull and it is fine again, no problem with unlocking, relocking and unlocking again. My brother-in-=law says "You should take that back and get a new one while you are in the return period," which it probably true.

The rest of the holiday passed without any problem, and because I am lazy, today I decided to see if I can find out anything about the issue before I go relocking it and taking it back to VZW. Has anyone else experienced this issue? Any advice?

Sean

sc4fpse

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
I had this happen once while streaming Google Music while driving down the highway. Had to do a battery pull [at 75 MPH]. Not something I want to do again. Luckily I have not been able to replicate the issue.

thebignewt

May 11, 2010
Visit site
Ditch the lock screen with No Lock. I hate that "feature". But if you bounced your phone a couple times and it's acting up it may be time to head it for the barn.

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
My device started doing this. No longer reacts to any touch. Not going to lock boot loader. Teir2 said go to a store and I can get a new device but I don't have the standard battery on me so they may not do it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463