I Have a Request for Those of You w/o Signal Issues Update 3/5

willstilson

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
First off, I apologize for starting another thread regarding this, but I wanted it to be seen, and clutter free. I ask that those of you that are feeling annoyed by all of these "false signal issue" threads, please refrain from posting your criticism, or the Anandtech article that we are all familiar with. This thread is not about the number of bars that your Nexus lacks, compared to another phone. This thread is about signal dropouts. We do not need to be reminded that the Nexus displays signal strength differently.

I'm asking those of you who claim to have no signal dropouts, and getting great reception, to post a screen shot from battery history details chart. See the picture below as a reference. Those of you who don't know how to get to this menu, it's simple - Settings - Battery - Tap the graph. Take the screen shot by pressing power and volume down, simultaneously, then upload here.

I'm asking this favor to see how well your devices are holding on to their signal. As you can see below, there is a large red section on the "Mobile Network Signal" line, in the pic below. That happened overnight, while my phone was stationary, on my table. I went to bed with 3 bars, and woke up with a phone that had died, trying to reconnect to the network.

I find it odd that in all of the screenshot I've seen, I've never once seen one that had a mobile network signal bar that was mostly green. They are all mostly yellow and red. I presume green to mean strong signal, yellow to mean mediocre, and of course red means no service. If you guys are in great reception areas, and getting great reception, I'd like to see the charts. Any red marks, even small, indicates that your device did lose service, for a given time period. That could happen as you move between dead zones, or could be a device flaw. I'm just trying to see how often it is happening, so we can all try to figure out just how isolated this incident is.

Thanks for your time

EDIT 3/5

After calling Verizon and explaining the issue, I was overnighted a new SIM. Needless to say, this did not resolve the issue. The tech I spoke to said that if it didnt work, call back and they'd send a replacement device. I gave it a few days and called again. They were happy to overnight me a refurb.

I got the refurb last Thursday, and it is flawless. The only giveaway is the sticker under the battery does not say Samsung, like the new phone. The screen is also much better than my original phone, in terms of banding.

Finally, the refurb has not dropped signal ONCE since I got it. Fingers crossed, I may have a good one. My advise to anyone with signal drop issues, don't wait. Call Verizon and have them swap the device. I was afraid to because I didn't want a device with worse screen banding or microphone issues. I figured the signal drop issue could be fixed with software. I was wrong. I tried every radio available and none fixed the issue. 4.04 made it worse. If your phone drops signal, swap it ASAP, especially if you are within your 14 day window.

Last edited:
Reactions: CarryMe

CarryMe

Banned
Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
Re: I Have a Request for Those of You Without Signal Issues

Thanks for your time

I had my phone switched to CDMA only in order to conserve battery life for part of today so that would skew the graph, right? Also, if someone has their phone on WiFi for the data connection, wouldn't that skew the graph?

ace8707

Dec 15, 2011
Visit site
Here's mine. I haven't had any issues with mine. I'm in south Florida between Miami and Fort Lauderdale all day and both have 4G coverage.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site

Here is mine. 3g only area here. I will do another one in the area around my house that has lte later.

pdub73

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site

I work at a very old airport where depending on where I am (inside, outside, 2nd floor, 3rd floor etc....) I get 4 bars of 4g signal to none at all...I will do this screen shot thing and post tomorrow for you after a day of work going from area to area that give me different signal readings...I hope it will help with whatever you're trying to figure out....

I know airports are where Verizon has put a majority of their 4g antennas but for whatever reason the signal doesn't reach parts of the airport when I'm inside...

tntdroid

Droiderator
Feb 19, 2010
www.flickr.com
I been home all day so I'm on wifi. I never had a dropped call or a data issue like in your shot. As you can see no red and also 0% on dropping radio connection. I'll post again tomorrow with a full battery cycle.
43541cb6-7907-ab7e.jpg

43541cb6-7914-c222.jpg

CarryMe

Banned
Dec 17, 2011
Visit site

I know airports are where Verizon has put a majority of their 4g antennas but for whatever reason the signal doesn't reach parts of the airport when I'm inside...
This is what I don't get - why is there so much trouble getting the 4G signal inside when you can get the 3G signal - it should be the other way around!

jafels

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site

how do you post pics....anyway mine is a solid green line for the last 13 hours since i woke up and took it off the charger.....which is normal for my gnex.

willstilson

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site

I had my phone switched to CDMA only in order to conserve battery life for part of today so that would skew the graph, right? Also, if someone has their phone on WiFi for the data connection, wouldn't that skew the graph?

Honestly I am not sure. I know that if your device is on WiFi all day, there still has to be a connection to the mobile network, for calls and texts. When mind drops, it drops EVERYTHING. 3G, 4G, 1xx. I can't browse the web, make a call, or send a text, so I don't think it matters what you are set to, for the problem I am trying to diagnose.

Here's mine. I haven't had any issues with mine. I'm in south Florida between Miami and Fort Lauderdale all day and both have 4G coverage.

Thanks but you forgot the pic :)

Here is mine. 3g only area here. I will do another one in the area around my house that has lte later.

HO LEE CRAPP. When I started this thread, I didn't think it was possible to see so much green. No wonder you have been claiming there is no issue. Your phone is definitely the golden apple.

I been home all day so I'm on wifi. I never had a dropped call or a data issue like in your shot. As you can see no red and also 0% on dropping radio connection. I'll post again tomorrow with a full battery cycle.
Click to view quoted image

Click to view quoted image

Thank you sir.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site

HO LEE CRAPP. When I started this thread, I didn't think it was possible to see so much green. No wonder you have been claiming there is no issue. Your phone is definitely the golden apple.

Yeah others thought I was making it up but honestly I have great signal, the same if not better than previous phones I had.

willstilson

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site

how do you post pics....anyway mine is a solid green line for the last 13 hours since i woke up and took it off the charger.....which is normal for my gnex.

When you reply, scroll down to "manage attachments" and you can browse to a file to upload. I emailed the screenshot to myself and did this all from my PC. I don't use Tapatalk so I can't help you if that's how you post.

willstilson

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site

Yeah others thought I was making it up but honestly I have great signal, the same if not better than previous phones I had.

Seeing yours gives me hope that maybe my phone is the culprit. I am not in any poor reception area. I spend my days in NYC, Queens, and Nassau County. I find it hard to believe that this entire area has poor reception, yet I can't seem find a spec of green in my signal meter bar. Not once since I got the phone. I travel around these areas all day, different parts everyday, so its not like I'm stuck in two dead zones, between home and work.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site

Seeing yours gives me hope that maybe my phone is the culprit. I am not in any poor reception area. I spend my days in NYC, Queens, and Nassau County. I find it hard to believe that this entire area has poor reception, yet I can't seem find a spec of green in my signal meter bar. Not once since I got the phone. I travel around these areas all day, different parts everyday, so its not like I'm stuck in two dead zones, between home and work.

Maybe contact verizon and see what they say and maybe try getting a new sim card? Or it could just be that you got a dud and the phone has a broken radio or something.

willstilson

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site

Maybe contact verizon and see what they say and maybe try getting a new sim card? Or it could just be that you got a dud and the phone has a broken radio or something.

Yea, that's exactly why I started this thread. I'll wait for a few more replies and decide from there. If many more are like what I'm seeing so far, then I'll attempt a swap. My phone really is immaculate otherwise, but what good is a phone with no reception. Thanks for posting.

pool_shark

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site

I'm pretty sure my 2% without a signal is from being in my office where everyone with verizon gets a weaker signal.

Reactions: ebrown126

jafels

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site

heres mine, i should have posted the cell standbybscreen too.....for whats it worth i have 0% without signal

Last edited:

DBVille

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site

I charged mine at work just before leaving today. It shows 3.5 hours since off charge, but all green and yellow. No red. But, look at the first pic - 65% of the time no signal!??!! Huh?? But all green/yellow. Maybe it shows no signal when its on wifi? I am on the edge of the official VZW 4G signal at home, and use wifi at home. But, I never noticed a time without a signal, and have never noticed any issues at home or during my commute. Ten minutes after the first pic, it is up to 67% of the time without a signal.

Edit: Birmingham, AL

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay