Problems transferring files to/from gnex

ace8707

Dec 15, 2011
Visit site
So I installed all the right drivers (I think) to be able to use MTP with my pc bit I'm still having problems. When I open up the "Samsung MTP device" it shows all the folders in the phone, but when I click on a folder it doesn't show any files in any of the folders - it shows all of them as empty. Also, I've tried putting files from my old phone onto my gnex but I always get a message saying something along the lines of "this device does not support this file type". Everything I've read says that with a pc you just need to have the right Samsung drivers installed and MTP should work fine but that's not the case for me. Any ideas?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

pool_shark

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
Some people have had success changing usb cables.
Mine worked as soon as I plugged it in. Windows installed the drivers and I was able to transfer files in both directions.

ace8707

Dec 15, 2011
Visit site
I guess I'll try that - the cable I was using was from my OG so I'll try the one that came with my gnex. I saw a thread with someone else who had the same problem but he wasn't worried about trying to fix it he just needed to use ptp to transfer pics

yapkuen

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
What version of Windows are you running? If it's something older than Vista, you may need to install the latest version of Windows Media Player for MTP support to work right.

ace8707

Dec 15, 2011
Visit site
I'm using xp and I'm pretty sure my windows media player is up to date. Is the only way to manage files through media player? And I read an article that said MTP has been built into windows since xp so most people on pcs shouldn't have to worry about doing anything other than insight the drivers prompted when you first plug it in.

yapkuen

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
MTP should be accessible by browsing through Windows Explorer, but I've been told that on Windows XP, the files necessary to fully enable MTP support are somehow attached to Media Player, so one would need to have WMP fully up to date before being able to browse MTP devices. On later versions it's supposedly built into Windows.

ace8707

Dec 15, 2011
Visit site
I gotcha well I guess those two things are at least a starting point for me. I give them both a shot when I get home. Fingers crossed one of them will work.

jcarson13

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I'm using the usb cable supplied with the oem charger and vista os.
Plugged in the phone, vista recognized/loaded drivers and explorer displayed all folders.
Dragged 8gig of music into std music folder successfully.
I DID get repeated warnings of incompatible types, but all plays normally.

ace8707

Dec 15, 2011
Visit site
I updated my windows media player and I'm pretty sure that was what fixed it. I'm able to view/move files both ways now. The only problem is that it's superstar slow. Hopefully something they can help with in 4.03

dspcap

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I finally gave up and installed Wifi File Transfer Pro, it's much much faster than using a cord and extremely easy. I know it doesn't solve the MTP problem, but I wouldn't go back even if they solved the problem for me.

I am in no way affiliated with the app, just in love with it :)

mitra88

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
I finally gave up and installed Wifi File Transfer Pro, it's much much faster than using a cord and extremely easy. I know it doesn't solve the MTP problem, but I wouldn't go back even if they solved the problem for me.

I am in no way affiliated with the app, just in love with it :)

Just out of curiosity, have you tried dragging and dropping the files to a folder WITHOUT OPENING THE TARGET FOLDER? A few other members mentioned that they were successful in transfering files to GN with that method.

If you are not familiar with this method, let me rephrase it. You select the files from the source window (your PC?). You drag those files and drop them right onto the folder icon of your target location within your GN. You should NOT open the destination folder. Just drop the dragged files onto the folder icon.

Let me know if this works for you. I couldn't test it myself because I am not experiencing this issue anymore.... :cool:

reidoreilly

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
i can confirm the whole copying files while having the target folder open is painfully slow if it even works at all. As long as you dont have the actual folder open though it copy's just fine. This doesnt change the fact the whole SD card situation is ed up.

mitra88

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
i can confirm the whole copying files while having the target folder open is painfully slow if it even works at all. As long as you dont have the actual folder open though it copy's just fine. This doesnt change the fact the whole SD card situation is ed up.

I know. As far as I remember, this MTP or PTP transfer is going to be a lot slower by nature than USB Mass Storage transfer. While I understand why Google removed SD card and used this MTP for more available app installation capacity, it will become another bottleneck for Google in the future, eventually.

At least, I am glad to know that dragging and dropping without opening the folder icon works for some of you.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1