25% drain in 1 hour?!

RyMac04

BB Convert
Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
I'm posting in the official battery life thread but it's getting buried with no responses.

I am getting TERRIBLE battery life on my GNex. I love this phone, but a phone is not a phone when it must be plugged in all day long. Please help...

I'm testing all sorts of methods on how to conserve the battery. I've installed Juice Defender. I'm not using 4g. I use WiFi only at home. I do not have GPS on. I have 2 emails set to sync every hour, one gmail and one yahoo. I have twitter set to sync. I usually use auto brightness but have since switched to darkest.

I text and use GroupMe most often. Play words with friends and read twitter lightly. No web browsing today, no videos. After charging up my battery at work, and taking it off, I've lost 25% in 1 hour! I have done nothing but text and play words with the screen on the darkest setting. I use the Beautiful Widgets clock and weather on my home screen.

I have all touch sounds and vibrations turned off. I uninstalled Skype. I don't know what else to do. How are people getting 15 - 20 hours on this when I'm barely getting 5?

My stats are:
Screen - 60%
Words Free - 18%
Android OS - 13%
Android System 3%
All others - 2% or less

Thanks for any help / :'(

Last edited:

haastyle

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
welcome to the club man.....I'm having the same issues, I even got the extended battery, can't tell a difference in the battery life. I put the leaked radios on thinking that would help, nothing. I've tried all things you have and more. I'm going to return mine and hopefully get a new one that doesn't have any of these issues. My friends' phones are working great.

RyMac04

BB Convert
Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
Yea, it'd be different if I weren't reading so many posts about 15- 20 hour battery life on 4G, something must be off here.

kesnik

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
Sign out of Google + and facebook. The apps keep you phone awake when the screen is off.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

6275a426-8a28-38ff.jpg

-kesnik

kesnik

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
It has to be some app that is doing it..... do a factory reset and start fresh (no apps installed). Install your apps like words one at a time and keep a eye on your battery life. Best answer I can give you ;-/

BSG75

Custom User Title
May 11, 2010
Visit site
Was your screen on for that entire hour? Was it at full brightness? You can click the screen info in the battery stats screen to see how long it was on. Google+ doesn't hurt my battery. It's all a function of how long you keep the screen on. I can post pictures of over 20 hours of battery on my device, but that is with light usage (i.e., the screen was off most of the time). Stock battery. That 60% for the battery usage is pretty telling. Normal is more like 30% screen & 30% OS.

On an unrelated note, you didn't grow up in Plymouth Whitemarsh, PA, did you? I have a cousin in TN with a name similar to your nickname.

davey11

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
If you guys have the gumption, try installing a custom rom and kernel. Has helped immensely with battery life.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

RyMac04

BB Convert
Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
Was your screen on for that entire hour? Was it at full brightness? You can click the screen info in the battery stats screen to see how long it was on. Google+ doesn't hurt my battery. It's all a function of how long you keep the screen on. I can post pictures of over 20 hours of battery on my device, but that is with light usage (i.e., the screen was off most of the time). Stock battery. That 60% for the battery usage is pretty telling. Normal is more like 30% screen & 30% OS.

On an unrelated note, you didn't grow up in Plymouth Whitemarsh, PA, did you? I have a cousin in TN with a name similar to your nickname.

I have had the screen on the dimmest setting. The screen is on the majority of the time, but it HAS to be on to use the phone, right? lol.

Side note - nope not from PA.

haastyle

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
davey i installed android revolution hd 2.1.2 and the leaked radios.....didn't help my phone one bit. I reset the battery stats, so I'll give it a few cycles to see what happens. Even when LTE is up my phone can't seem to hold a connection for more than 30 minutes and everyone else gets full 4g at my work.

RyMac04

BB Convert
Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
If you guys have the gumption, try installing a custom rom and kernel. Has helped immensely with battery life.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

not opposed to this, but don't want to ruin any chance of returning/exchanging if I infact have a bad phone?

BSG75

Custom User Title
May 11, 2010
Visit site
I have had the screen on the dimmest setting. The screen is on the majority of the time, but it HAS to be on to use the phone, right? lol.

Side note - nope not from PA.

Yup, you need to have the screen on for most uses, but that is what kills the battery more than anything. Periodically turning it on and running it for an hour straight are two different things. Sorry, but I don't think you can expect it to last much longer than you are seeing under those circumstances.

Juice Defender only goes into action when the phone is not in use, I believe, by keeping syncing to a minimum. That doesn't help you when you are actively using the device.

haastyle

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
not opposed to this, but don't want to ruin any chance of returning/exchanging if I infact have a bad phone?

you can put it back to factory settings, there are a few tutorials on it out there, that's my plan at the moment. I got it at Costco, 90 day return policy, so I got time lol.

RyMac04

BB Convert
Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
Yup, you need to have the screen on for most uses, but that is what kills the battery more than anything. Periodically turning it on and running it for an hour straight are two different things. Sorry, but I don't think you can expect it to last much longer than you are seeing under those circumstances.

Juice Defender only goes into action when the phone is not in use, I believe, by keeping syncing to a minimum. That doesn't help you when you are actively using the device.

I guess I don't understand why people are getting so much better battery with "active use"? Go into the "Smug thread" and read everyone success with their battery - their usage doesn't seem any different than mine.

Texting and light words with friends over the course of an hour should not cause 25% drain. This is with intermittent screen on/off, not continuous.

revickulous2001

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
My current stats are 40% battery life remaining. My phone has been off charge for a little over 8 hours. My screen has accounted for 54% of the battery usage. But my screen has only been on for a little under 2 hours.

wassct

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Words with Friends has always slammed my battery, on the Nexus and my old OG Droid. For some reason it's a battery hog. I always make sure to close it completely when I'm done using it but I think it's the guilty party in your case.

RyMac04

BB Convert
Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
Words with Friends has always slammed my battery, on the Nexus and my old OG Droid. For some reason it's a battery hog. I always make sure to close it completely when I'm done using it but I think it's the guilty party in your case.

That's one thing I'm still unfamiliar with - closing completely out of apps on ICS.

I'm a converted BlackBerry user, and to close out you simply hit BB Button - Close. On ICS it seems each app is different, and the "app manager" is not necessarily a task killer.

To close Words - return key all the way out of it, correct>? thx

g nexta

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Hey, I may be in the same boat as OP. This is my first smartphone, so I can only compare my experience with other's. I use it ALOT, and my daughter plays games on it too. However, I have to charge it over and over throughout the day. I thought that's the way it's supposed to be, like when I use my laptop. Now I don't know. I got battery defender (which, from what I understand improves your battery life over time by learning how you use it), and Advanced Task Killer, which I use all the time, esp when my phone slows down. Seems to help some (would appreciate negative feedback on those apps).

RyMac04

BB Convert
Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
My current stats are 40% battery life remaining. My phone has been off charge for a little over 8 hours. My screen has accounted for 54% of the battery usage. But my screen has only been on for a little under 2 hours.

maybe i AM playing with it too much. When do the "screen on" and battery stats reset?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Landers2