Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By MowDownJoe
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Help. Why is my gnexus not recognizing. wma files

I cant seem to get my .wma files to play on my phone?
    Is this a known issue or just me, couldnt find anything on it and the phone website says
    that it does support that file format. Any help would be appreciated.

Default Re: Help. Why is my gnexus not recognizing. wma files

iwish i could tell you why but i will say its easy to download a file converter for free Switch is one i have used that worked.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

I was afraid of that, i have a crappy laptop and around 800 .wma files, guess i have work to do
    Thanx
    It's been real...

Yeah, ICS does not natively support .wma files. Sorry man.

*customized tapatalk signature*
    Regular lawnmower man...

ROM
    Stock

Gee... I wonder why ANDROID doesn't support WINDOWS Media files?
    cj100570 likes this.

Download Mx movie player

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    ROM
    stock

Thumbs up Re: Help. Why is my gnexus not recognizing. wma files

Quote Originally Posted by fminusfminus View Post
    Download Mx movie player

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
    Agreed - MX works great with WMA

Global Posts
    10,402 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOSP, & stock.

Agree, D load one of the several apps for that....presto.

ROM
    Liquid 1.4 w/ Franco MS4

Quote Originally Posted by MowDownJoe View Post
    Gee... I wonder why ANDROID doesn't support WINDOWS Media files?
    Gee, I wonder why my Droid 2, an ANDROID phone, supported WINDOWS media files just fine? In fact, I had around 1,500 .wma files on it.

Global Posts
    455 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mike0719 View Post
    Gee, I wonder why my Droid 2, an ANDROID phone, supported WINDOWS media files just fine? In fact, I had around 1,500 .wma files on it.
    Maybe Motorola built in the support for .wma with their addition of blur? While the Nexus is vanilla ICS.

It took me a lot of time and effort to finally figure out what was going on. The GNX does support some wma files, but not all. This was driving me crazy, as only about half of my music collection seemed to work with WMP and the GNX. I could see the files had transferred to the phone, but couldn't see them in Google Music, and couldn't play the files if selected in the file manager. I finally came across this: however, it doesn't explain why some wma files work, while others don't.

It's not that Android doesn't support wma files, it's specifically ICS that doesn't support them. Android 2.x versions all supported wma files. For converting the music files, you can download a free copy of MediaMonkey and it will convert all of your wma files to mp3.

The fact that wma isn't supported tells you something about that particular format IMO. It's on its way out. iTunes will convert your wma files to acc if you try and add them I think (at least it used to). I used Windows machines for 15 years and WMP was like the worst piece of software ever.

I want to amend my earlier comment. I converted all of my music to mp3 files, and I'm having the exact same problem. About half my collection won't sync to the GNex. So it doesn't matter which format the files are in. If I try to specifically sync one of the Albums that didn't sync, WMP says that the files are already on the device. They're not. Confirmed with file manager. I'm confinced that GMusic does something to spoof the operating system into thinking that music uploaded to GMusic is already on the device, so that it shouldn't be copied. I've tried WMP, Winamp and DoubleTwist. They do the same thing. If I manually copy the files to the GNex, they don't show up in GMusic. If I make online music available, and check the option to make such an album available offline, it downloads the music, but then doesn't show up as soon as I tell the device to only show local music. This is driving me off the edge!
    Mobile Enthusiast

Global Posts
    601 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP JB B1/Franco M5

Really wish I could help you here. I just play my music OTA from google music. After the first time playing the song it will be cached on your device so it doesn't have to download it again, at least until you clear the cache.

Only thing i could think of: Do you use iTunes on your home PC? Google music has that option to sync music from iTunes if iTunes is installed. I do all of my syncing that way and havent had any problems with WMA playback, probably because iTunes converts the WMA files after you add them.

ROM
    KaosGingerbread (CM7)

Download something like Audacity + Lame, point it to your folder containing the WMA files and let it do its job.

???

Profit.
    sigpic337700_1.gif

Question: Can you just drag/drop the music files straight to the phone's memory and have it end up in music app like I can do with my Dinc now (I can put it on the SC card or the internal phone's memory)?
    I have no desire to synch or cloud or stream anything.

Went through a couple of apps with the same problem. Real Player doesn't work, Songbird doesn't work. However, Poweramp works. I just bought the $4.99 full version.