Help - odin(?) screen

kph3

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
If anyone can give me some information as to what happened, I would greatly appreciate it....

This morning my GNex sounded a notification like an incoming email, etc.. Notification light wasn't flashing. I turned on the screen and there was nothing in my notification bar and I didn't see that I had any texts, emails, etc.. Turned off screen and proceeded to get dressed for work. A few minutes later, it happened again. Turned on screen and same...no incoming anything that I could tell. So, thinking my phone just needed to be rebooted, as it had been 2 days, I turned it off. When I got to my car, I turned it back on to boot up. Within a few seconds a screen appeared that I had not seen before. Had a green andoird in the middle (not the same one that appeared during the 4.02 update) and below him it said "downloading do not turn off device". Above him was a green "start" arrow pointing toward the right. It was hard to see, but in top left corner said something in red about "odin" I think. In the bottom left corner was somthing about Samsung and some numbers. It stayed on that screen for about 2 minutes. The screen didn't go dark so I hit the power button to turn off screen and then the phone booted up normally.

Has anyone had this happen to them or know what this means?

Thanks in advance, Kevin. :confused:

Last edited:

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
That is the odin screen for flashing u get it by pressing volume down and power button. Just press power buttin to reboot.

jcarson13

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Similar thing happened to me this morning.

Phone had about 80% charge last night. When I woke up this morning, I hit the power
button and nothing happened (screen remained dark). Long-pressed and saw the screen
described by kph3. No response to screen taps. Long pressed the power button again
and phone went thru boot sequence, then demanded to be attached to charger. Centered
battery icon showed what looked like a complete discharge ??

anon(25362)

May 20, 2010
Visit site
That is the odin screen for flashing u get it by pressing volume down and power button. Just press power buttin to reboot.

Isn't that the capture screen combo?

I have had a few issues with the phone just turning off while sleeping which I don't notice until I need to check it, which is frusterating. Also the odin screen has popped up 3 times in the past 2 days and then the reboot. I love the phone but this and a few quirky things are getting on my nerves (i pressed messaging this morning in the tray 3 times this morning and it kept bringing me to the google docs/cant connect screen). I am going to hit verizon and see if they will switch the thing out - as I use it for business I need the phone to be dependable.

anon(25362)

May 20, 2010
Visit site
I just replaced it we will see - this new nex does seem to take noticeably better photos indoors over my last one which I picked up on release day.

kph3

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the replies. Good to know I didn't screw anything up. Hopefully it was a fluke. I don't think I pressed those buttons at the same time, but I could have.

jerrod6

May 20, 2011
Visit site

So if we are NOT flashing anything why is this screen showing up? So far have not seen it on my phone, but can we just let this screen sit and do nothing, or are we supposed to do something when it appears? Can we just turn the phone off or just wait or what?