How do you feel about the Face Detection?

How do you feel about the Face Detection?

• Total voters

p08757

** Superhero **
Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
Mine works about 90% of the time. If I wear a hat or the sun is really bright from one side is almost never works.

If you want to use it you may have to "train" your device in different settings. Do this:

Settings, Security, Improve face matching

I did this about 5 times in different settings and it helped improve things.

Good luck!

Reactions: pauldroidr2d2

credo

May 1, 2010
Visit site
Works great after I trained it. It works the majority of the time so far.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Stang68

Mar 15, 2010
Visit site
I use it as my normal lock and I have also improved it in various lighting situations and it works very well.

tk-093

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
The #1 problem is that it ignores the 30 minute (or whatever time you set) timeout. I don't want to have to unlock it every time I turn my phone on. Otherwise it works just about every time, except obviously in situations where there is not enough light.... also pictures unlock it, but we all know that.

tntdroid

Droiderator
Feb 19, 2010
www.flickr.com
I used it for a few days. Got kind of annoying having to put my phone up to my face to unlock it. Trying to change a music track while on the road was not good as you have to look down or put the phone in front of you. I show it off to friends but just use the swipe unlock now.

DaPoets

Aug 26, 2011
Visit site
I find that if I'm in a setting where it doesn't recognize me twice, then I'll have it learn that new setting. Just low light and while driving is where it doesn't work for me.

BSG75

Custom User Title
May 11, 2010
Visit site
Mine works about 90% of the time. If I wear a hat or the sun is really bright from one side is almost never works.

If you want to use it you may have to "train" your device in different settings. Do this:

Settings, Security, Improve face matching

I did this about 5 times in different settings and it helped improve things.

Good luck!

Also, do it from different angles. I hold the phone down around my stomach and look at it, which is more natural that dramatically holding it out in front of your face. Works 90% or the time for me and it works fast.

S281

Sep 9, 2011
Visit site
I don't like it, my phone unlocks when my brother tries it. I dont think we look that similar for it to be unlocked by his face

Corban227

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
I liked it for a bit. I updated the picture about 3 to 5 times a day for a week with different lighting, angles, facial hair, etc. After a week I found it to only work 80% of the time (don't get me wrong. Best facial recognition ive used) so I switched to a swipe patter that will be reliable 100% of the time. I didn't like the delay it would cause when trying to get into phone and the app drained batter and used extra ram.
Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

DaPoets

Aug 26, 2011
Visit site
I liked it for a bit. I updated the picture about 3 to 5 times a day for a week with different lighting, angles, facial hair, etc. After a week I found it to only work 80% of the time (don't get me wrong. Best facial recognition ive used) so I switched to a swipe patter that will be reliable 100% of the time. I didn't like the delay it would cause when trying to get into phone and the app drained batter and used extra ram.
Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

There is no such thing as "extra ram" in android...

mozy

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
I never trained mine, so I see that is my mistake. Still the whole picture thing kind of defeats the purpose of the face lock. When I'm home I turn the security to none and when I'm out I'm using pin simply because it is the fastest. I like the pattern, but after a while - you can see the pattern on the screen protector.

tntdroid

Droiderator
Feb 19, 2010
www.flickr.com
I don't like it, my phone unlocks when my brother tries it. I dont think we look that similar for it to be unlocked by his face

On Christmas I was visiting family and went to show of the face unlock. My brother who is about 3 years younger tried it 3 times and it unlocked just the first time.

tk-093

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
I never trained mine, so I see that is my mistake. Still the whole picture thing kind of defeats the purpose of the face lock. When I'm home I turn the security to none and when I'm out I'm using pin simply because it is the fastest. I like the pattern, but after a while - you can see the pattern on the screen protector.

I've actually found the face unlock to be much quicker then the PIN unlock. Both are pretty quick either way...

kca2000

May 10, 2011
Visit site
On Christmas I was visiting family and went to show of the face unlock. My brother who is about 3 years younger tried it 3 times and it unlocked just the first time.

I had a similar experience. But with a friend. I told a friend the phone was capable of this and he wanted me to show him. I was not using it at the moment, so I set it up and gave him the phone. It unlocked 3 times by looking at his face when it was setup. We look nothing alike!! I set it up again and it seemed to work properly but after that fail i have not used it since. Ill stick with the pattern..

doogie1

Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
Seemed to work fine for me but, having to hold it up started to be strange in public. Someone lady thought I was taking a picture of her when I was waiting in line, behind her. Stopped using it after that.

_JKK_

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
It's a gimmick that works, and is something that I'm sure I'll use to show off to friends. As far as being truly useful, well... it isn't. At least in my experience.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781