is the GN a good choice for seniors who need reading glasses?

Touchpaddle

Sep 10, 2011
Visit site
I am quite happy with my Galaxy Nexus CDMA phone from Verizon.

I plan to get a GSM version for a family friend who lives overseas.
Is the GN a good choice for seniors who need reading glasses?
Will she be able to use the phone without having to find her reading
glasses all the time?

The reason I'm asking is that the fonts are smaller, probably due
to the higher resolution of the screen of the GN.

My previous phone is the Samsung Droid Charge, which has the
same screen as the Samsung Galaxy SII. Those two phones
have nice screens with bigger default fonts.

Thanks! :)

CarryMe

Banned
Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
The reason I'm asking is that the fonts are smaller, probably due
to the higher resolution of the screen of the GN.
Don't know about the GSM version but the CDMA version

Settings -> Accessibility -> Large text check
Settings -> Display -> Font size Extra large

Touchpaddle

Sep 10, 2011
Visit site
Don't know about the GSM version but the CDMA version

Settings -> Accessibility -> Large text check
Settings -> Display -> Font size Extra large

Well... it looks like I'm the one who needs reading glasses! :D
I never knew those settings were there... :) I just tried it
but not all the fonts are enlarged. (or possible because the
some fonts are controlled by the apps?)

I assume the GSM version will also have the same font size
settings.... :)

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
I don't think any Android device is what I'd call a good choice for seniors. This assumes that your choice of the word "seniors" implies that they are very old. I know there are some older folks out there that keep up with the tech world, but most don't. By that I mean they can't figure out how to hook up a printer to a computer. I think any smart phone would be a waste, but if I was determined to get my grandma one (if she was still alive), I'd get her an iphone before an Android. As much as I dislike all things Apple, it's a simpler, out of the box device to use...fewer options, less confusion.

ShinyTop

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
Ya, and all youngsters are only wanting to sit in the basement of their parent's house.

To op, I am 63 and need reading glasses for any phone. That said the status bar at the top of the Nexus could be larger but other than that it is no worse than any other cell phone. I find the larger phone helpful for movies and surfing the web.

CarryMe

Banned
Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
I don't think any Android device is what I'd call a good choice for seniors. This assumes that your choice of the word "seniors" implies that they are very old. I know there are some older folks out there that keep up with the tech world, but most don't. By that I mean they can't figure out how to hook up a printer to a computer. I think any smart phone would be a waste, but if I was determined to get my grandma one (if she was still alive), I'd get her an iphone before an Android. As much as I dislike all things Apple, it's a simpler, out of the box device to use...fewer options, less confusion.
Got my mom an iPhone and cleared everything off of the home screen except the phone icon and message icon. Taught her how to hold down the button (Siri) to make a call and a text by speaking. She loves it!!!

Her eyes are better than mine, though, lol!

ShinyTop

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
True story. Grocery shopping. At counter I check my phone and say, "Texted my wife, she hasn't said she needs anything. She's out of luck." Young thing behind the register says, "You text? Wow! Wish you would teach my grandma."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robbyworkman1995