does your *86 for voicemail work?

Terrigno

Italiano Papi
Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Not sure about that since I never used a Carriers Voicemail since Ive started using Google Voice. You should look into that. If you cant use those code numbers, try just calling your number from your phone and hitting the pound key to access your voicemail. Unless you have Visial Voice Mail through Verizon.

merloquin

Dec 31, 2011
Visit site
Is it a 4G thing like how *228 is no longer accessible.

Hi Steve,

I have been having issues with accessing voice mail via *86 for the past several days as well. When I first called Verizon, they said that it was because voice mail was not initially set up, or provisioned on my account. I have only been a VZW customer for about a week.

However, after they provisioned voice mail, I was still unable to login. They reset my password, and I was able to log on the first time, but not any subsequent times. I have called VZW three times and finally was escalated to tech support who has an open ticket on this issue.

The issue seems to be that my voice mail can be accessed when calling into the device from an external number, but when calling *86 I am unable to get in. Each time it says I have entered an invalid password but I have not. I can see the password as I enter it on the screen and it is exactly what it should be. I went a couple rounds with VZW where they basically thought I was another stupid customer who couldn't remember or type in a password. But that is not the case. I am a tech savvy individual and I can tell you, the issue is not me entering my password incorrectly.

They also suggested I try a couple of reset codes like *73 and *900, which I did. Each time, I could login right after but on subsequent occasions could not. I have only ever been able to log on to my voice mail two times in succession.

However, they don't think the issue is with *86 itself because I get the same behavior on my phone when I just dial my number directly to access voice mail.

The last I spoke with tech support, they verified the issue and were able to replicate it several times on my device, but have no clue at this point what it could be. They suspect it may be software related or perhaps I just have a bad device. (Although, all other functions on my Nexus appear to work fine.)

I am currently on day two of waiting on a call back on my open service ticket. However, I probably won't hear anything until after the New Year.

Anybody else experiencing similar issues?

Thanks,
Pelican

xliderider

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
I have no problem accessing my Verizon VM, I even have the *86 reprogrammed to enter my password automatically. Format looks like this:

*86,,,XXXX# where the commas are pauses and the XXXX is your password. Worked on both stock ICS and now on my custom 4.03 ICS rom.

Last edited:

merloquin

Dec 31, 2011
Visit site
I have no problem accessing my Verizon VM, I even have the *86 reprogrammed to enter my password automatically. Format looks like this:

*86,,,XXXX# where the commas are pauses and the XXXX is your password. Worked on both stock ICS and now on my custom 4.03 ICS rom.

Thanks for the tip. I made a contact called voice mail and addeda direct dial link on my home page. I programmed the voice mail number and password by formatting with the commas as you suggested.i am now able to access my voice mail.

I did some more testing on my phone and I believe I may know what the source of the problem is. I believe the android keypad diailer is not actually sending the digits thatI am typing. For example, I found that both the Vzw voicemail and my work voicemail system, the pound key is not recognized.

Also, when I call *86 and manually enter my password when prompted, the system tells me my password is invalid. Yet when I dial my password with the saved voicemail contact where my password is sent after the pauses, I am able to access my voice mail with no problem.

This would seem to indicate to me that the dialer is not sending the digitsI am pressing. This is weird because the digitsI am actually pressing are correctly being displayed on the screen. Does this meanI havea defective nexus or is there a programming flaw?

Is anybody else experiencing this?

yosteve

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
Mine is back and forth. It only worked when i dialed my actual phone number. However last week it allowed me to use *86 and has ever since. Back when i couldn't it would answer it just wouldn't accept my password. I would just manually fisk my full number and it would take my password no problem.

jephanie

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
I have had intermittent issues with the *86 invalid password thing myself. I have my PW set in the autodial and it failed for numerous tries. But 5 minutes later, it worked just fine. I chalk it up to VZW's PITA "growing pains." Grrrr

lvnalolife

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
For those logging in problems try this and see if it fixes your issues:

Bring up the dial pad,
Hit the 3 dots and pick settings,
Pick DTMF Tones,
Set to long.

Solved my problems when trying to type numbers in for logging in to accounts.

celerod

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
I'm also having a problem with my voicemail. When I try to pick up my messages, it does not recognize my password when I key it in so I have to dial my phone number to get to my messages. Also, when I try hit '7' to delete the message, it does not recognize it.

lvnalolife

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
I'm also having a problem with my voicemail. When I try to pick up my messages, it does not recognize my password when I key it in so I have to dial my phone number to get to my messages. Also, when I try hit '7' to delete the message, it does not recognize it.

Did you set the DTMF tones to Long?

BigDroid

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site

Bring up the dial pad,
Pick DTMF Tones,
Set to long.

There is no DTMF tones in settings. I'm having this same problem.Starting to bother me.

LabRat

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
There is no DTMF tones in settings. I'm having this same problem.Starting to bother me.

Screenshot_2012-01-04-16-15-19.png

merloquin

Dec 31, 2011
Visit site

Bring up the dial pad,
Pick DTMF Tones,
Set to long.

DTMF tone set to long did the truck for me!

I only wonder why Verizon had no clue what the issue was and to this date still have not responded to my original service ticket.

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
It has been so long since I had to call in and listen to my voicemail with Verizon that I forgot how to do it.

Google Voice for the win.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samahmed336699