Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 37
Like Tree4Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default G-Nex Compatible with Car Audio Systems? USB audio out?

    So is there anyway of getting the audio to go through the USB cable plugged into the car or do you have to output it with an extra audio wire?

    I tried with 2011 Subaru Outback and car radio says unknown device. Is it compatible with any cars or am I just out of luck, or does audio not come out through the usb ever?
    Last edited by triton.; 12-31-2011 at 12:17 PM.
  2. #2  
    craigcls's Avatar

    Posts
    71 Posts
    ROM
    TSM Pool Party 1.6 / ICS

    Default Re: G-Nex Compatible with Car Audio Systems? USB audio out?

    I've been curious about that too. You can try Dock Sound Re-director from the Market. Don't know if it'll work, but I was going to try that when I get the chance.
  3. #3  
    chevyguy8893's Avatar

    Posts
    145 Posts
    ROM
    DarkAOSP v3.0.0

    Default Re: G-Nex Compatible with Car Audio Systems? USB audio out?

    I tried on my friends aftermarket cd player (eclipse) with no luck. It couldn't even charge the phone, which I kinda expected not to work. I'll be happy when a nice car dock is released for this phone.
  4. #4  

    Default Re: G-Nex Compatible with Car Audio Systems? USB audio out?

    Tried it with a newer Pioneer HU & so far no dice. Wont recognize properly...
  5. #5  
    sc4fpse's Avatar

    Posts
    107 Posts
    Global Posts
    108 Global Posts

    Default Re: G-Nex Compatible with Car Audio Systems? USB audio out?

    A vast majority of USB-compatible stereos do not support MTP, instead requiring USB Mass Storage mode. Unfortunately, because the Galaxy Nexus doesn't have an SD card, USB Mass Storage mode is not supported. The number of USB-compatible car audio systems that support MTP is probably in the single digits.

    Thank Google for this one.
  6. #6  

    Default Re: G-Nex Compatible with Car Audio Systems? USB audio out?

    Quote Originally Posted by sc4fpse View Post
    A vast majority of USB-compatible stereos do not support MTP, instead requiring USB Mass Storage mode. Unfortunately, because the Galaxy Nexus doesn't have an SD card, USB Mass Storage mode is not supported. The number of USB-compatible car audio systems that support MTP is probably in the single digits.

    Thank Google for this one.
    This.

    This is one of the larger problems that I have with MTP.

    And I do enjoy my music.
  7. #7  
    mechapathy's Avatar

    Posts
    250 Posts
    ROM
    Full AOSP 4.2

    Default

    I have an Alpine iDA-x200 and it supports MTP. But it's kinda useless to me since I use Google music on my phone. Might bite the bullet and buy Alpine's Bluetooth kit.

    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
    Last edited by mechapathy; 12-31-2011 at 05:30 PM.
  8. #8  

    Default

    Reading this makes me glad my daily driver has an auxiliary input jack so I can plug in directly to the headphone output.
    tx_tuff likes this.
  9. #9  
    craigcls's Avatar

    Posts
    71 Posts
    ROM
    TSM Pool Party 1.6 / ICS

    Default Re: G-Nex Compatible with Car Audio Systems? USB audio out?

    No work for me
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

    Default Re: G-Nex Compatible with Car Audio Systems? USB audio out?

    Thanks guys. This is my first venture into android so wasn't sure about this. Sounds like it's not really my car's issue, but the Nexus's MTP mode not being compatible. Too bad, can't even do bluetooth audio streaming with my subaru. Car has an aux jack though right next to the usb plug. My plug does charge the phone, though not enough juice to power the navigation at the same time. It trickles down about 10% per hour or so.

    I'll give Dock Sound Re-director a try.
  11. #11  
    xelhabb's Avatar

    Posts
    199 Posts
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    ROM
    3.0.8-gaaa2611, unlocked

    Default Re: G-Nex Compatible with Car Audio Systems? USB audio out?

    My GNEX mounts to my system via Bluetooth. The sound quality it so-so.

    However, I don't understand why people use the cell for music. I tried that at the gym but my phone battery would drain the phone significantly making its useless for calls unless I recharged it.

    Doesn't anyone get an iPod anymore? I can use my iPod for a couple days before a charge is necessary. It also mounts to my vehicle, charges at the same time, and plays all the music I want.

    My phone is there ready for phone calls. Other than for apps, I think people are beginning to expect too much out of these smartphones.
    Nextel Flips > Motorola Slider > Blackberry Storm 9530 > Motorola Droid X > Galaxy Nexus
  12. #12  
    dmmarck's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    10,930 Posts
    ROM
    What do you think?

    Default Re: G-Nex Compatible with Car Audio Systems? USB audio out?

    Quote Originally Posted by xelhandroid View Post
    My GNEX mounts to my system via Bluetooth. The sound quality it so-so.

    However, I don't understand why people use the cell for music. I tried that at the gym but my phone battery would drain the phone significantly making its useless for calls unless I recharged it.

    Doesn't anyone get an iPod anymore? I can use my iPod for a couple days before a charge is necessary. It also mounts to my vehicle, charges at the same time, and plays all the music I want.

    My phone is there ready for phone calls. Other than for apps, I think people are beginning to expect too much out of these smartphones.
    I've never used my cell for music until I got Spotify. Now the 1-2 combo of iPod Classic and Spotify makes long trips amazingly enjoyable.
  13. #13  

    Default

    This isn't anything new. I used an OG Droid for two years for phone, music, Pandora, GPS, etc with a car charger and a dock. With the exception of using GPS and music simultaneously, the charger stayed ahead of the power drain. Even then it was good for a couple of hours. Why would I bother carrying an extra device?
  14. #14  
    karn101's Avatar

    Posts
    226 Posts
    Global Posts
    249 Global Posts

    Default Re: G-Nex Compatible with Car Audio Systems? USB audio out?

    Quote Originally Posted by xelhandroid View Post
    My GNEX mounts to my system via Bluetooth. The sound quality it so-so.

    However, I don't understand why people use the cell for music. I tried that at the gym but my phone battery would drain the phone significantly making its useless for calls unless I recharged it.

    Doesn't anyone get an iPod anymore? I can use my iPod for a couple days before a charge is necessary. It also mounts to my vehicle, charges at the same time, and plays all the music I want.

    My phone is there ready for phone calls. Other than for apps, I think people are beginning to expect too much out of these smartphones.
    I agree. Why do people do that? Don't they have computers anymore? I prefer to carry my laptop, GPS navigation unit, iPod, camera, and video recorder. My phone just stays ready for calls...
    dubge, sc4fpse and JADaBooey like this.
  15. #15  
    dmmarck's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    10,930 Posts
    ROM
    What do you think?

    Default Re: G-Nex Compatible with Car Audio Systems? USB audio out?

    Quote Originally Posted by karn101 View Post
    I agree. Why do people do that? Don't they have computers anymore? I prefer to carry my laptop, GPS navigation unit, iPod, camera, and video recorder. My phone just stays ready for calls...
    lol. I just prefer my iPod with the lossless stuff on it, even if it bogs it down .
  16. #16  
    jdbower's Avatar

    Posts
    750 Posts
    ROM
    CM9,Tablet Mode,Nova

    Default Re: G-Nex Compatible with Car Audio Systems? USB audio out?

    FYI, there are car chargers out there that can keep up even with navigation and BT streaming music. Look for USB chargers for iPads, they've got a 2.1A output that should be able to keep up no problem.

    I've also never had an iPod, by the time they had one that caught up with my old MP3 player I had switched to my phone to consolidate devices. Now streaming music is much more useful to me, I'd rather train Pandora to play tunes I like than worry about collecting and organizing most music. However, with Google Music it's nice to have the option to go back to stuff I own without needing to use up storage space.
    Galaxy Nexus (VZW)
    Motorola Droid X (WiFi)/Motorola Droid 2 Global (VZW)
    Motorola 9505A (Iridium)/HP Zeen (WiFi)
  17. #17  
    dmmarck's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    10,930 Posts
    ROM
    What do you think?

    Default Re: G-Nex Compatible with Car Audio Systems? USB audio out?

    Quote Originally Posted by jdbower View Post
    FYI, there are car chargers out there that can keep up even with navigation and BT streaming music. Look for USB chargers for iPads, they've got a 2.1A output that should be able to keep up no problem.

    I've also never had an iPod, by the time they had one that caught up with my old MP3 player I had switched to my phone to consolidate devices. Now streaming music is much more useful to me, I'd rather train Pandora to play tunes I like than worry about collecting and organizing most music. However, with Google Music it's nice to have the option to go back to stuff I own without needing to use up storage space.
    I'm going to start the Google Music upload process today. Oi.

    And that's good, I need to find a new charger. Any example of a decent one? I presume it's one where you use the stock USB cable (or other like cable with the mini end).
  18. #18  
    jdbower's Avatar

    Posts
    750 Posts
    ROM
    CM9,Tablet Mode,Nova

    Default Re: G-Nex Compatible with Car Audio Systems? USB audio out?

    Here's a list from Amazon:
    Amazon.com: usb 2.1 amp car charger

    I've got one of these but I haven't had a chance to really test it out yet. My VZW model was able to maintain charge during my last (5 hour) car trip, but it can only do so if the battery is already well charged.
    Amazon.com: Griffin Technology PowerJolt Micro (Flat) 2A x 1 USB Power Charger for iPod/iPhone/iPad (Black ): MP3 Players & Accessories

    I prefer one with a USB port, that way it should work with most tablets with proprietary connectors as well as my phones.

    BTW, watch out for the dual-port models. You'll have to read carefully, some are rated for an amperage across all the ports. I've had more than one in the past rated at 1A but it was really 500mA per port and mostly useless
    Galaxy Nexus (VZW)
    Motorola Droid X (WiFi)/Motorola Droid 2 Global (VZW)
    Motorola 9505A (Iridium)/HP Zeen (WiFi)
  19. #19  
    dmmarck's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    10,930 Posts
    ROM
    What do you think?

    Default Re: G-Nex Compatible with Car Audio Systems? USB audio out?

    Thanks so much! I like these--much more versatile and no need for that stupid coiled wire! I also have a nice mini USB cord I can use.

    Yeah a LOT of the ones in the Amazon link are dual port. I'm hoping BB is open today. Need to get a pork roast at Wegman's and a car charger. So disappoint when I saw my phone outracing the 650mA Rocketfish charger I had been using for the past year.
  20. #20  

    Default Re: G-Nex Compatible with Car Audio Systems? USB audio out?

    Semper Fi
    I love my LG Nexus 5!
    Take better pictures with your cell phone camera...http://www.bigshotmoms.com/
  21. #21  
    kharrigan's Avatar
    Now using God's Phone

    Posts
    249 Posts
    ROM
    4.0.x

    Default Re: G-Nex Compatible with Car Audio Systems? USB audio out?

    Quote Originally Posted by xelhandroid View Post
    However, I don't understand why people use the cell for music. I tried that at the gym but my phone battery would drain the phone significantly making its useless for calls unless I recharged it.
    People use their smartphones as music sources because plugging it into stereos charges them AND mutes the music automatically when other features are used - like phone calls, GPS, and texts. It's great!
  22. #22  
    edoublediz's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    1,145 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,147 Global Posts

    Default Re: G-Nex Compatible with Car Audio Systems? USB audio out?

    Quote Originally Posted by greydarrah View Post
    no no no dont try that adapter!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! it is not for audio and can absolutely damage equipment! it is for a small handful of devices that charge through headphone port
  23. #23  

    Default Re: G-Nex Compatible with Car Audio Systems? USB audio out?

    Quote Originally Posted by triton. View Post
    Too bad I can't even do bluetooth audio streaming with my subaru. Car has an aux jack though right next to the usb plug. My plug does charge the phone, though not enough juice to power the navigation at the same time. It trickles down about 10% per hour or so.

    I'll give Dock Sound Re-director a try.
    one would think you could, as i can hear all audio through my bluetooth stereo headset.
  24. #24  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by karn101 View Post
    I agree. Why do people do that? Don't they have computers anymore? I prefer to carry my laptop, GPS navigation unit, iPod, camera, and video recorder. My phone just stays ready for calls...
    Lol, I bought the most advanced smartphone in world so that I limit it just to making phone calls.

    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
  25. #25  
    pauldroidr2d2's Avatar

    Posts
    2,609 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,618 Global Posts
    ROM
    ICS 4.0.4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kettle View Post
    Lol, I bought the most advanced smartphone in world so that I limit it just to making phone calls.

    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
    That is how I feel about suggestions for switching off it seems like everything to conserve battery.

    What should be happening is phone manufacturers should be looking for the next generation of battery technology, or they should be developing it themselves.

    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
    Sent from my Verizon Galaxy Note 2, Verizon Galaxy S4, or N7, or MacBook Air
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions