Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Wireless tethering problem

I have the unlimited data/tethering plans on my phone. Yesterday, I traded in my Rezound for a Nexus. I am able to tether every device I've tried to the phone and get internet except my Xbox. It just won't connect to the phone for some reason. I've checked and changed the password many times, and even tried the unsecured/no password mode. Nothing seems to work. I had no problems with the Rezound in this respect.

Does anybody have any ideas I can try?
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #2  

Default Re: Wireless tethering problem

OK, every Wifi device I own can connect to the Nexus- My Kindle, my sons Nintendo DS, even my old, deactivated Blackberry.

Just not the Xbox.

I even dug up my old DSL router. I don't have DSL anymore, but the Xbox was able to connect to it no problem. It just displayed no connection between the router and internet.

When I try to connect to my Nexus it just won't. It says unable to acquire IP address and to verify DHCP is on. DHCP must be on for the other devices to connect, so I'm stumped here.

Xbox doesn't support wpa2 in my experience. Try another encryption setting and see if it works for you

ROM
    4.0.3 Codename 1.5.0

Quote Originally Posted by Linuxrepublican View Post
    Xbox doesn't support wpa2 in my experience. Try another encryption setting and see if it works for you
    Yeah try an open connection 1st and work your way up the security ladder

Sent from my Verizon Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
    DaPoets
    ~ Galaxy Nexus LTE Codename Android ROM 1.6 (ICS 4.0.3)
    ~ Motorola Xoom LTE Codename Android ROM 1.5.5 (ICS 4.0.3)
    ~ Droid Charge as 24/7 4G Unlimited Tether Bot on Stock
    G1000 -> PPC6600 -> PPC6700 -> OG Droid -> Galaxy S Fascinate -> Pure Bliss
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Default Re: Wireless tethering problem

I did try unsecured and it still didn't work.

The Xbox says it can't acquire an ip address and make sure DHCP is enabled.

There are really no settings to check in the stock tethering settings other than security level. And I know DHCP is enabled because all my other devices are acquiring ip addresses.

Would one of the numerous 3rd party tethering programs work?