Got GN at launch, swapped it for Rezound then got it back.

kalexan9

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
Funny you ask. My wife & I were at a restaurant last night. This restaurant is in a saturated LTE area. I set them side by side on the table and checked their signal strength. The Nexus was at -103 dbm & the Rezound at -93 dbm. I then ran ran the Speedtest.net app on both. The Nexus tested at 12 down & 3 up. The Rezound tested at 22 down & 8 up. I made a few WTF!! comments then tried again. For the second run I placed the devices in each other's place on the table. I ran the test again & the results were exactly the same.

Up until this point I've been a die hard fan of my Nexus. After running the test, I am a little concerned. I didn't expect such a dramatic difference in signal strength & speed.

Are software updates able to fix radio issues?
On my Nexus, I get great 4G speeds here in the Atlanta market of 25-27 down and 11-13 up. Based on your results there must be an issue with your phone.

memillh

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
On my Nexus, I get great 4G speeds here in the Atlanta market of 25-27 down and 11-13 up. Based on your results there must be an issue with your phone.

His results are not uncommon, from a comparison standpoint. I've been itching for a switch to the GN since launch. I ignore dbm's because the numbers are apples and oranges. GN's dbm's show actual 4g strength. Rezound and all other LTE phones show 3G strength. Those numbers don't mean anything for comparisons here.

However, when I run speed tests on the two phones, the Rezound wins most of the time. I tried in multiple locations. I noticed the same on Wifi as well. I've seen a couple reviews online that also had similar results. I love the look and feel of the GN and ICS, so I keep trying to talk myself past this - to rationalize the switch, but the results are what they are. Odds are, if you're getting 25-27/11-13, a nearby Rezound can get higher.

The only thing I'm telling myself now is, when you can pull down fast speeds like that, does it really matter anymore? In the end, for me, I guess I'm just feeling better knowing I've currently got the faster phone right now, in the Rezound. Just waiting on some custom ROMS now that it's unlocked, but in the meantime, I've still got that GN itch..

Reactions: E.T. and Ken7

Se7enth Sinn

Dec 14, 2009
Visit site
The Rezound was fine, the main problem I had was sense seems dated and laggy. HTC needs to completely revamp sense.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Se7enth Sinn

Dec 14, 2009
Visit site
Your thread title talks about a Rezound and a GNex, but I don't see you making any comparisons. I had both too and found the data connections more solid on the Rezound with its better radio.

What did you see?

Yeah the Rezound connection is much better... however the touch screen sensitivity is way too high, add that with a very tiny space bar makes typing very difficult on the HTC. Battery life us a tad better on HTC but neither is good. The laggy and dated sense is they reason why I went with the GN.

Ken7

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Funny you ask. My wife & I were at a restaurant last night. This restaurant is in a saturated LTE area. I set them side by side on the table and checked their signal strength. The Nexus was at -103 dbm & the Rezound at -93 dbm. I then ran ran the Speedtest.net app on both. The Nexus tested at 12 down & 3 up. The Rezound tested at 22 down & 8 up. I made a few WTF!! comments then tried again. For the second run I placed the devices in each other's place on the table. I ran the test again & the results were exactly the same.

Up until this point I've been a die hard fan of my Nexus. After running the test, I am a little concerned. I didn't expect such a dramatic difference in signal strength & speed.

The Rezound radio is simply better. Almost everyone that's had both phones sees it...it's just really hard to deny it when doing practical tests like you did. Can it be fixed? Hopefully. As long as it's not hardware (which still concerns me), I would think it could be fixed.

Ken7

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Not to be smug, but those are pretty low results compared to my Down/Up when I am on 4G.

It's all area dependent. I've gotten very high DL speeds and very low DL speeds, it just depends on where you are.

But what makes his tests valid, is it was the same place at the same time doing multiple tests with both phones. I know some will always make excuses for these performance differences, but they are real and easily repeatable. I saw it when I had my Rezound.

We can only hope they are fixed.

Ken7

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I returned mine and got the rezound. I liked the Nexus better but after talking to tech support they are not showing a fix until March or later for the radio/poor reception problem. To bad the nexus was a better phone but I need a phone I can make calls on which is my priority

Well if that fix date is accurate, so much for 'quick updates direct from Google'. Waiting over 1/4 of a year is not 'quick' in my book. Hopefully your info is not accurate.

Ken7

May 25, 2011
Visit site

He's in a different area than you, so his results can't be compared to yours. He tested two phones side by side. I don't think there's anything wrong with his phone as his results are consistent with many others (myself included) who had these same two phones.

burwil

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
I'm not sure what you mean by screen sensitivity but Sense doesn't lag, it flies on my phone. Screen better, colors truer (especially white), battery better, signal stronger.......I thought my Nexus was a step behind in just about everything except OS. As with anything YMMV.

Sent from my HTC Rezound via Tapatalk.

Ken7

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I much prefer the screen on the Nexus to the Rezound, but that's me. The combination of screen size, resolution, AMOLED display and the colors, just make for a more pleasant experience on the Nexus IMO.

The only thing I liked better on the Rezound was the superior data connectivity. Although I thought the battery life was very good on the Rezound, I'm actually doing better on the Nexus.

Se7enth Sinn

Dec 14, 2009
Visit site
I'm not sure what you mean by screen sensitivity but Sense doesn't lag, it flies on my phone. Screen better, colors truer (especially white), battery better, signal stronger.......I thought my Nexus was a step behind in just about everything except OS. As with anything YMMV.

Open your browser and lightly touch links on your Rezound and see the links open. If you do the same in that GN they dont. Its not a big deal to most people but for people with big hands it is.
The Rezound has a higher rez screen but the picture/video quality on GN is better.

burwil

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
Hmmmm....I don't see what you're seeing. In any case there is often a phone readjustment period. Like when you go from hard to capacitive buttons.

rbess1965

May 24, 2011
Visit site
Never make a decision on a phone based on it's UI because a different launcher from the market will modernize any of them right up. I use Go Launcher with resizable widgets and transistions that no Stock UI is even attempting. Choose a phone based on specs and performance, not the UI.

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
Never make a decision on a phone based on it's UI because a different launcher from the market will modernize any of them right up.

That doesn't make any sense. After all, some people -- gag -- like Sense or TouchWiz or Blur. The only way to really get those is by choosing phones that come with those particular skins.

HES

Aug 7, 2010
Visit site

Right now I have my GN next to my wife's Rezound on my desk in my home office. Both are set to CDMA only. I am getting -120dBm and her Rezound is reporting -93 dBm. :'(

I'm still on 4.0.2 non rooted. I'm loving my GN, but I need a phone that is a phone first, micro PC second. I get into a lot of areas with spotty coverage and I need that ability to pull in a signal when its weak.

Ken7

May 25, 2011
Visit site
It's just a fact the Rezound has a better radio than the Nexus. If you really need the best radio and can't wait for a 'possible' improvement in the GNex radio, the Rezound is a good choice.

Stang68

Mar 15, 2010
Visit site
The radio in the Nexus will get better. People with leaked builds are even saying reception is better.

It makes no Sense to get the tank that is the Rezound.

luckymeeh

Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
Wait you had a droid x then i4 then i4s then GNex then Rezound then back to the GNex? What exactly are you looking for in a phone? What were you looking for that the iphones and moto couldn't give you?

It sounds like he has serious decision making problems in general.

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
I got some used air I'm willing to sell, who's the joker that bought your used iPhone for $420? lol

I've got about that amount for my Iphone 4 in the past.

Go and eBay and watch one that's in very good condition. You'll see

Agreed.

Well if that fix date is accurate, so much for 'quick updates direct from Google'. Waiting over 1/4 of a year is not 'quick' in my book. Hopefully your info is not accurate.

That would suck and I hope it's not true. I may be leave Verizon by then if that happens.

youngzayiles

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
Never make a decision on a phone based on it's UI because a different launcher from the market will modernize any of them right up. I use Go Launcher with resizable widgets and transistions that no Stock UI is even attempting. Choose a phone based on specs and performance, not the UI.

I strongly disagree..