Search email

jonheld

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
I have been scouring the forums here and other places and am trying to find how to search through emails on my new Verizon Galaxy Nexus. I've been a Blakberry user for the last 3 years and have multiple email accounts. I have always been able to easily search through any email account or multiple accounts instantly and easily. My wife has a Galaxy S II and there is a search button within the email application. However on my brand new state of the art smartphone i can't seem to find the most basic of functions.
Obviously I'm missing something and am desperately seeking help. I deeply appreciate any and all responses.

jonheld

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
So apparently if you set up a POP account there is no search button. If you set up an IMAP account, the search button appears. However, regardless of how the account is set up, there doesn't seem to be a way for the native google search to add any email to it's search options.

I deleted an account and set it up as an IMAP. My messages downloaded and I could send and recieve. However, the search function was useless. I could search for anything and it returned zero results. This leads me to believe it is not searching on the phone itself, but rather on the server. This is both a waste of time and bandwidth.

I have tried downloading multiple email clients and each one of them seems to have the same limitation which leads me to believe this is a native problem within the OS.

I'm really looking for some insight here. Any help would be appreciated.

DLCPhototography

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
Can't say for non-Gmail accounts, but the Search function works fine on my stock Verizon Galaxy Nexus, using the stock Gmail app.

Coming from a Windows Mobile HTC Touch Pro 2 and Outlook 2007 Workflow, I ended up switching to making Gmail my primary account. My other POP3 accounts are set to forward to Gmail. This seems to give me the best of both worlds.

djs1995

Jan 22, 2012
Visit site
there is a search function in gmail but not in the native gnexus email app? I am using the native gnexus email app to sync with my MS Exchange Server/MS Outlook.

Can I use gmail to sync with my MS Exchange Server/MS Outlook and also access another email pop server too?

halfased

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
This was a major disappointment for me that the stock e-mail app didn't have a search function when connecting to POP3 servers. It apparently has no options for local storage of e-mail and would re-load e-mail from the server at each start. To make matters worse it would only load the first 25 - not very friendly for work use. Search does pop up when you set it to an IMAP account, but the search capability will depend on your server. Its sad when I have to admit that my old Palm Pre had much better e-mail capability in the stock e-mail app.

I ended up using the Gmail app to solve this. I set Gmail to check and download my work e-mail into my Gmail inbox and then push it to my phone. You get much better search functionality and I can now set it to sync 60 days of e-mail on my phone. The only downside right now is that it depends on Gmail checking my work e-mail server which only happens about every 45 minutes. This doesn't appear to be a settable option in Gmail so if poeple depend on immediate e-mail responses from you this might not be the best solution.

evansgw

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
I agree this is a major flaw from THE search company.

I couldnt believe it when I got my NS4G that I couldnt search my work emails. Seems such a basic function.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol