Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!

View Poll Results: Battery Pull Survey for the GNex....?

Voters
153. You may not vote on this poll
  • NEVER..Not once since I purchased the phone...

81 52.94%
  • 1 to 2 times since I purchased the phone...

53 34.64%
  • 5 to 10 times since I purchased the phone...

5 3.27%
  • 11 or more times since I purchased the phone...

1 0.65%
  • Every Day...!!

3 1.96%
  • Once a week...

3 1.96%
  • A few times a week...

2 1.31%
  • Whats a Battery Pull...??

5 3.27%
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By 1fastmr2
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    300 Global Posts

Default Battery Pull Survey for the GNex...

Battery Pull Survey...

I got to thinking over the weekend when I was installing my screen protector on the new phone... The directions suggested that you power the phone off and remove the battery. I was thinking that I Never had to do a "Battery Pull" on this device...not even once...!! Then I felt a little smile come over my face... No more battery pull... or at least not yet...

So I wanted to take a quick poll to see and hear what everyone else has experienced...? and if you did have to do a Battery Pull, the reason why you think you needed too..?

I know some people on here are Players or Developers, (and I'm not saying thats a bad thing), but for the regular "joe" who hasn't hacked it, or installed custom ROMs etc... (which may justify having to do a battery pull) what has been your experience...? Just curious...

ROM
    DarkAOSP v3.0.0

Default Re: Battery Pull Survey for the GNex...

Within the week the phone wasn't rooted or had a custom ROM I never once had to pull the battery. With my old phone I did it about five times a day, so I love not needing to pull the battery to get my phone to work. I had one issue with a kernel that was installed and I did have to do a battery pull till I figured out the problem. Otherwise no issues anymore and still loving this phone.

Hey -- looks like i was the very first voter !

Just a regular Joe, using my very first Smart Phone.

No rooting. No hacking. Nothing special at all.

Had to remove my battery twice, in the week that i've owned it.

First time, it crashed while starting !
    (booting up)

Second time, it crashed while i was downloading an app from Marketplace.
    (Cut the Rope -- 99 cent version)

Note: even though it "crashed" during that download,
    once i pulled the battery, and went back to Marketplace, it seamlessly Resumed the download.

Program then installed perfectly, and i've been using it successfully ever since.

Hope it doesn't happen again, cuz' now i have a snug-fitting case installed.

ROM
    ?

I only pulled the battery to looked at it. I wanted to put a bigger battery in it.
    evrafter likes this.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    10,930 Global Posts
    ROM
    What do you think?

I only pulled the battery (1) before I ever turned it on, and (2) because I had no idea I had a SIM card. Silly VZW, using these newfangled technologies!

ROM
    Stock Google

Pulled the battery after the phone locked up when I attempted to place a call (how dare I use a phone to place a phone call!!!)

I voted never because I've not had to pull it due to issues but I did pull the stock battery out to replace it with the extended battery. I had to pull the battery on my bionic several times due to black screen of death issues so far the nexus has worked great considering it is basically a beta tester device
    OG-DX-Fascinate-D2-Thunderbolt-Bionic-Rezound-Galaxy Nexus-Razr-Razr M-DNA-GS4-Note 3-Note 4-?

Global Posts
    832 Global Posts
    ROM
    Buglessbeast/Stock

I only have pulled out the battery once. And that was because the phone had overheated and would not power up. Just pulled the battery and put it back in and all was well. Luckily my phone hasn't had any overheating problems since then.
    So many phones, so little time.

I have had a couple of reboots and one time the phone just turned off. I only had to pull the battery once and that was because the OS froze. I don't know what happened but everything was completely unresponsive, couldn't even power down.....

I expect these issues; after all I am an early adopter of a new Smartphone. Considering this is a new version of the Android OS. I am amazed that there aren’t more problems.

-kesnik

I picked this bad boy up yesterday and had to pull the battery as soon I was able to charge the standard battery to 100% so that I could install the extended battery.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Global Posts
    300 Global Posts

Okay... pulling the battery to upgrade to an extended battery ...OR... pulling the battery to install the screen protector does not count... Hows that... better...

ROM
    4.0.3 Codename 1.5.0

I pull my battery every day to switch it out w/ another fully charged battery...
    DaPoets
    ~ Galaxy Nexus LTE Codename Android ROM 1.6 (ICS 4.0.3)
    ~ Motorola Xoom LTE Codename Android ROM 1.5.5 (ICS 4.0.3)
    ~ Droid Charge as 24/7 4G Unlimited Tether Bot on Stock
    G1000 -> PPC6600 -> PPC6700 -> OG Droid -> Galaxy S Fascinate -> Pure Bliss

Global Posts
    1,428 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I had to do it all the time with my Fascinate. So far zero with my Nexus.

Had my GN since Dec.15 and no issues have forced me to do a battery pull......so far.
    "I'm all jack'd up on Mountain Dew!"
    Geek Freak

Global Posts
    515 Global Posts

I only pulled the battery to install the extended battery and have not looked back! Have not had to pull the battery once! Owned since day one!
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1

I think some people don't understand. A "battery pull" is not when you power the phone down and take the battery out for whatever reason. It's when the OS freezes and the only way to shut the phone off is to just take the battery out or wait for it to discharge, which no one has the patience for. There may also be a combination of button pushes that can reset it but i dont know what they are for this phone.

I bought this phone on launch day and have rooted it and haven't had to do a battery pull. My phone has developed a little lag and does reboot itself about once every couple of days which isn't bad for a new phone with a new OS. It probably wouldn't do that if I didn't install any apps, but what fun would that be?
    Forums Emeritus

Global Posts
    13,813 Global Posts

If you are having to do a battery pull on an Android phone there are serious issues. That's more of a Blackberry mentality

In my experience those with issues that lead to battery pulls are 99% of the time using task killers or bad 3rd party programs; the former being the worst offender.

FWIW, I've been with Android since day 1 & have never in my life done a battery pull due to a lockup.
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  

Global Posts
    300 Global Posts

Pure & Cory... Thank you for the update and perfect explination to the post... That was my fault, I assumed that most people here understood what a "battery pull" was....

Thank you again..

Global Posts
    1,301 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Honestly I pull the Battery at least once a day to put in the replacement battery. Instead of charging my phone I just swap batteries.

My Droid 2 died about two weeks before the Nexus came out and so I went back to my old black berry 9650. I forgot about having to let the OS settle in and ripping the battery out 4-5 times a day and the extremely long boot ups. How is RIM still around.

I love my NEXUS!!!

I understand the bb world of battery pulls. My question when you install and uninstall apps do you have to do a battery pull.

Yeah, I've only had to pull the battery once for an actual problem. The rest of the times is to replace or charge a battery.

Global Posts
    779 Global Posts

Bought my extended battery the day after I got my GNex (12/16). I have not had to remove it since. My Droid charge froze up quite often leading to battery pulls. Very happy with this device.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

The first battery pull was to replace the original battery with an extended one. One other time I pulled the battery to put in a freshly charged battery. Other than that, nada.