No Data when my signal bars go grey

kjhee43

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
I am constantly getting a problem on my GN where the signal bars go grey, are full, but I have no data. It stays like this for a while and I have not found a way to get data back without rebooting. I switched to CDMA mode only, rebooted and have been running like that for a couple days and it just happened again. Full bars(grey), 3G symbol showing, but i can't load a simple web page. Going to airplane mode and toggling mobile data don't bring it back. Can anyone make a suggestion as to why this keeps happening or a way to fix without rebooting?

I am rooted, unlocked bootloader, on stock 4.0.2.

Screenshot_2012-01-03-09-44-14.png

anon(525422)

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
Have to admit I have no idea what the blue/gray bars mean. Sometimes I'll have connectivity, sometimes I won't, seemingly regardless of the bar color. This goes for Wifi too.

I'm wondering if JuiceDefender could be partly to blame but I'm not sure what the bars are supposed to mean, so it's hard to tell what the root problem is, let alone whether JD is exacerbating it. This is basically my first Android device so I'm not sure what the norm is for the voice/data/wifi indicators.

anon(596177)

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Have to admit I have no idea what the blue/gray bars mean. Sometimes I'll have connectivity, sometimes I won't, seemingly regardless of the bar color. This goes for Wifi too.

I'm wondering if JuiceDefender could be partly to blame but I'm not sure what the bars are supposed to mean, so it's hard to tell what the root problem is, let alone whether JD is exacerbating it. This is basically my first Android device so I'm not sure what the norm is for the voice/data/wifi indicators.

When the 3g/wifi bars are blue it means you have active data connectivity to the internet. When they are grey it means your phone is not sending or receiving any data, or at least in theory this is what it is supposed to mean.

I have had this happen to me a few times as well. Not at all in the last week, but during the first week and a half I had it happen 3 or 4 times. In my case, turning to airplane mode and back or rebooting the phone worked. I kind of wonder if it had anything to do with the data outages Verizon was having.

I feel your pain, it is highly annoying to look at your phone and see those gray bars. Try pulling out your battery and sim card and reseating them. Other than that, I'm not sure what to tell you.

haastyle

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
this happens constantly to me...sometimes the bars will be blue but when I try to do anything it says no network connection and then the bars go gray after like 5 seconds. Has happened 3 times today, twice in Ameritrade app and once in google voice.

max pl

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
happened to me all the time til i switched to cmda only, and now it happens much less often if at all.
not entirely sure if it hasnt happened at all since ive run too many tests these past few days to remember whats taken place in certain scenarios.

xliderider

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
OP, since you are bootloader unlocked and rooted, you can try flashing the newer baseband (radio) files from 4.03 to your GNex (EK06/EK04).

Other users have reported better connectivity and faster signal lock following a change in network mode or from going from wifi to network signal.

haastyle

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
OP, since you are bootloader unlocked and rooted, you can try flashing the newer baseband (radio) files from 4.03 to your GNex (EK06/EK04).

Other users have reported better connectivity and faster signal lock following a change in network mode or from going from wifi to network signal.

I tried this with no luck :(, back to factory settings now, probably going to end up exchanging my phone for another GN in the future. Have 90 days at Costco to do so. Guy told me no new batches have come in since they sold out, weird.

hitskyn

Aug 15, 2010
Visit site
If my bars are grey my Mobile Network State is Not Connected when I look in Setting ->About Phone -> Status. I have yet to see it any other way.

When I see grey I start cursing VZW. Then I Curse AT&T for setting a bar so low VZW will have a hard time sinking to. So I am stuck with no where else to go.

TurbineTech

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
Mine does the same thing. Odd deal is that it didn't start happening until after I unlocked the boot loader and rooted. Not sure how this can be related since I didn't think either of those things should mess with the radio software...

Any ideas???

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
I don't understand I have no data grey bars. I can only make calls and text no mms. I reflashed the new radios and nothing. It only happens when i use a app like juice or battery saver that messes with the data. So i sit here with my nexus connected to my lte MIfi

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk

dmbfan42

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
been getting it a lot here in southern Wisconsin(between Madison and the IL border)...drained my battery today and wasn't able to get many of my pics that i sent and received...still waiting for the update hopefully before the 15th since i do like this phone

Channan

Keyboard Warrior
Mar 21, 2010
Visit site
Blue means you have access to Google services. Gray means you don't. If you don't have a data connection, you don't have access to Google services so your bars will be gray. However, that doesn't mean data never works when they're gray.

Pseudoty

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
I had this same issue when running Juice Defender in balanced mode. The stock app store widget and YouTube widget would not load while I had the gray bars. I uninstalled JD and this resolved the issue. My Gnex switches often between 3 and 4G but I always have data and my battery life is good at 12 plus hours.

TurbineTech

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
I too had Juice Defender installed, but had it set to "disabled" and still experienced these issues. Uninstalled it a couple of hours ago and have not seen the problem since.

Weird. :confused:

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
I fixed my issue after removing juice it never enable my data. So i had to manual recheck. Dam I feel like a idiot.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk

Reactions: Michaeljm

kjhee43

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
It just happened to me again about an hour or so ago, and I had to reboot to fix it. I will look at my wireless mode next time it happens, but it is annoying. I am considering flashing the new radios, but people are saying it didn't help. Im not sure what to do at this point.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech