Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 23 of 23
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By CallerHoller
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    Vance14's Avatar

    Posts
    741 Posts
    Global Posts
    744 Global Posts

    Default Awesome new ICS browser variation: Browser+

    If you like the ICS browser in general, but wish it had more functionality, do yourself a favor and go here:

    https://market.android.com/details?i...3dzZXJwbHVzIl0.

    and check it out. A couple of the Android sites have already started Tweeting about it, which is how I found it. Once installed, go to Settings, Labs and check to enable the Quick Controls. They are just like the current ones, but more options: straight to bookmarks, refresh and a Back and Forward button. Just awesome!
    Thanked by 2:
    mozyzeke013 
  2. #2  

    Default Re: Awesome new ICS browser variation: Browser+

    Downloading now. Thanks for the heads up.
  3. #3  

    Default Re: Awesome new ICS browser variation: Browser+

    I tried quick controls when I saw it in tips. I didn't find it quick at all. Disabled it.
    samkatz likes this.
  4. #4  
    jakeh0's Avatar

    Posts
    49 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,237 Global Posts

    Default Re: Awesome new ICS browser variation: Browser+

    this is pretty cool and i like being able to quickly access my bookmarks which you can't do as quickly in ICS as in GB
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  
    Vance14's Avatar

    Posts
    741 Posts
    Global Posts
    744 Global Posts

    Default Re: Awesome new ICS browser variation: Browser+

    Quote Originally Posted by CallerHoller View Post
    I tried quick controls when I saw it in tips. I didn't find it quick at all. Disabled it.
    For me, it was the fact that these options were very difficult to get to at all without using Quick Controls. While I usually don't like "gesture" features, being able to get to my bookmarks, refresh, back and forwards, and the address bar without going and searching for them (if they are available at all) was worth it.

    The one bad thing about the Quick Controls is that I sometimes accidentally activate it. But overall, definitely worth using for me.

    What I would really like is a customizable Menu button that was persistent on the page.
  6. #6  

    Default Re: Awesome new ICS browser variation: Browser+

    Ugly icon.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  
    Vance14's Avatar

    Posts
    741 Posts
    Global Posts
    744 Global Posts

    Default Re: Awesome new ICS browser variation: Browser+

    Quote Originally Posted by Stang68 View Post
    Ugly icon.
    Ha! very true.

    Since I access the web using the bookmarks widget, it shouldn't effect me. When I first pressed a bookmark after installing, it prompted to choose a browser, and I chose Browser+ as the default, so now it just goes direct. Unfortunately, the general browser icon on the bottom of the widget is still set to stock and I can't see how to change that default. But, I usually just hit the Google bookmark to start anyway.

    Hmm, I need to test what happens when I use voice command to search . . . Edit: awesome, it let's me choose the default there, now set!
  8. #8  

    Default Re: Awesome new ICS browser variation: Browser+

    Won't let me log into other forums sites. No thanks.
  9. #9  

    Default Re: Awesome new ICS browser variation: Browser+

    I can get to my bookmarks or refresh in like 2 seconds with the stock browser.....i dont really see what the big deal is.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  
    Vance14's Avatar

    Posts
    741 Posts
    Global Posts
    744 Global Posts

    Default Re: Awesome new ICS browser variation: Browser+

    Quote Originally Posted by zeke013 View Post
    Won't let me log into other forums sites. No thanks.
    Not sure what you mean. I just logged into the Phandroid forums, trying it out. I even made it a bookmark and went back a couple of times.
  11. #11  

    Default Re: Awesome new ICS browser variation: Browser+

    Tried ar15.com

    Won't pull up a keyboard for me to input username. Also won't focus on data entry slots when I hit them. Screen goes black and moves the data pop-up to mid-screen, forcing me to drag over until I've found it.
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  
    Vance14's Avatar

    Posts
    741 Posts
    Global Posts
    744 Global Posts

    Default Re: Awesome new ICS browser variation: Browser+

    Quote Originally Posted by zeke013 View Post
    Tried ar15.com

    Won't pull up a keyboard for me to input username. Also won't focus on data entry slots when I hit them. Screen goes black and moves the data pop-up to mid-screen, forcing me to drag over until I've found it.
    I went there and pressed the subscribe button for the newsletter and had no problem. I then tried the login up on top and got a weird screen, sort of janky, the login entry boxes all off center and even doubled. But the keyboard did pop up and I was able to enter text, but it was not pretty.

    Then I used the stock browser and had exactly the same experience. It looks like it is the site, not the browser. I am pretty sure they used the exact same browser program and just added features.
  13. #13  

    Default Re: Awesome new ICS browser variation: Browser+

    Quote Originally Posted by Vance View Post
    I went there and pressed the subscribe button for the newsletter and had no problem. I then tried the login up on top and got a weird screen, sort of janky, the login entry boxes all off center and even doubled. But the keyboard did pop up and I was able to enter text, but it was not pretty.

    Then I used the stock browser and had exactly the same experience. It looks like it is the site, not the browser. I am pretty sure they used the exact same browser program and just added features.
    Weird - the stock browser works as expected for me.
  14. #14  

    Default Re: Awesome new ICS browser variation: Browser+

    downloading. thanks
  15. #15  

    Default Re: Awesome new ICS browser variation: Browser+

    I tried quick controls for two weeks because I like the full screen view. But I kept hitting it by mistake when I was scrolling pages, also the "controls" on quick controls werent very intuitive in matching up the icon w/the function. I also could not find where to search a term in a page in quick controls.
    i went back to the normal view by unchecking LABS but I wish I could access bookmarks faster
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  
    Vance14's Avatar

    Posts
    741 Posts
    Global Posts
    744 Global Posts

    Default Re: Awesome new ICS browser variation: Browser+

    samkatz, I do hit it on accident as well, a bit annoying and I did have to just figure out what the icons all meant. I agree, they are not all intuitive!

    As far as searching terms, I think you helped me just discover a bug that exists (at least on my phone) in both the stock and Browser Plus! You can long-press any word and it will bring up the "select" blue arrows which you can move around to select. Then the at the top is a menu list, etc. I can share, copy, find, but when I go to "Web Search" for that word or phrase, it shuts down the browser! So, there is a method for doing it, but it crashed the browser! I have not tried that function with the labs Quick Controls turned off.

    The fact that the same error occurs on both browsers in exactly the same way I think supports the idea that Browser Plus is EXACTLY the same browser with just a few additions.
  17. #17  

    Default Re: Awesome new ICS browser variation: Browser+

    Is it just me or does this browser suck up more battery than stock? I used stock browser the whole day until I tried Browser+ for about 15-20 mins. I looked at battery usage and Browser+ was 12% while stock was just 3%.
  18. #18  
    mozy's Avatar

    Posts
    129 Posts
    Global Posts
    332 Global Posts

    Default Re: Awesome new ICS browser variation: Browser+

    Quote Originally Posted by Vance View Post
    If you like the ICS browser in general, but wish it had more functionality, do yourself a favor and go here:

    https://market.android.com/details?i...3dzZXJwbHVzIl0.

    and check it out. A couple of the Android sites have already started Tweeting about it, which is how I found it. Once installed, go to Settings, Labs and check to enable the Quick Controls. They are just like the current ones, but more options: straight to bookmarks, refresh and a Back and Forward button. Just awesome!
    Looks cool - I'm going to check it out!
  19. #19  

    Default Re: Awesome new ICS browser variation: Browser+

    Quote Originally Posted by Vance View Post
    samkatz, I do hit it on accident as well, a bit annoying and I did have to just figure out what the icons all meant. I agree, they are not all intuitive!

    As far as searching terms, I think you helped me just discover a bug that exists (at least on my phone) in both the stock and Browser Plus! You can long-press any word and it will bring up the "select" blue arrows which you can move around to select. Then the at the top is a menu list, etc. I can share, copy, find, but when I go to "Web Search" for that word or phrase, it shuts down the browser! So, there is a method for doing it, but it crashed the browser! I have not tried that function with the labs Quick Controls turned off.

    The fact that the same error occurs on both browsers in exactly the same way I think supports the idea that Browser Plus is EXACTLY the same browser with just a few additions.
    Thank you Vance. I was not aware of the hard press/search option. On my stock browser it works fine: hard press, 3 dots, "web search". Maybe you can uninstall and reinstall your browser??

    rt
  20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #20  
    Vance14's Avatar

    Posts
    741 Posts
    Global Posts
    744 Global Posts

    Default Re: Awesome new ICS browser variation: Browser+

    Quote Originally Posted by sutrebla15 View Post
    Is it just me or does this browser suck up more battery than stock? I used stock browser the whole day until I tried Browser+ for about 15-20 mins. I looked at battery usage and Browser+ was 12% while stock was just 3%.
    Interesting, I will have to keep an eye on that myself. Right now, Browser Plus only shows 4%, but I can't see the stock browser, so it must be pretty low. I have been using the new one a lot more, though, testing things out. Something to keep an eye on.

    Samkatz, luckily, that is not a feature I really use (can't recall ever using it) but of course now that it is an issue, I will find that it comes up all the time! :0)
  21. Thread Author  Thread Author    #21  
    Vance14's Avatar

    Posts
    741 Posts
    Global Posts
    744 Global Posts

    Default Re: Awesome new ICS browser variation: Browser+

    For those interested, they just updated the app to make the icon much nicer!
  22. Thread Author  Thread Author    #22  
    Vance14's Avatar

    Posts
    741 Posts
    Global Posts
    744 Global Posts

    Default Re: Awesome new ICS browser variation: Browser+

    This app is now called ICS Browser Plus, and they seemed to have solved the reloading when switching to landscape issue. These guys are moving quick.
  23. #23  

    Default Re: Awesome new ICS browser variation: Browser+

    I will check it out later who knows they may have another update by then

Posting Permissions