How many GN users are rooting?

How many GN users are rooting?

• Total voters

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
lol nice.

I'm waiting myself, if only because I want to see what issues resolve themselves via normal updates (i.e. if 4.0.3 does nothing, I'm probably rooting).

jackrv

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site
I like the stock ICS experience so far. I'm sure I'll root and play with custom ROMs at some point, but I haven't had any overwhelming desire to do it yet.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
Yea I rooted right away. The apps I use after rooting are good w/ root explorer being great along w/ Titanium backup.
I came from a destroyed Eris that had a horrid ROM that gimped it, not in a hurry to put one on. After all, the ice cream sandwich is still cold!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

Halo

May 27, 2011
Visit site
The developer's (along with community support) that are working on this phone, the ROM's, kernels, themes and various mods in general on for this phone, your choices are virtually endless. There's even a step-by-step how-to on going back to stock (unroot and relock your bootloader) in case for whatever weird reason, you don't like the superuser experience.

Gnoah

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
I was a little hesitant at first since this was my first smarthphone and first I'd even heard of rooting. I waited about a week and then said "why not". I will never go back. I think I have flashed 4 roms and am happy with zxiom 2.3 at this point. Even ran into a boot-loop flashing a bad download and easily got back out. Customization may not appeal to some, but I like the extra options I have. Aside from all of the customization, there are a few perks even for stock users like Adfree and whatnot that require root access, but I wouldn't do without.

I guess if you just want to use your phone and pretend that's all there is to it, then you will be fine and happy that it is full of all kinds of Android goodness. However, when more and more custom ROMs and themes start to filter out there you will miss out. Also, there are other practical things like improving battery life with different /ROMs/kernels/CPU settings, new radios, etc.

Don't be afraid. It is near impossible to get yourself into real trouble if you do things carefully. Just do all of the research BEFORE you go fiddling with your device. :)

p08757

** Superhero **
Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
I rooted it shortly after I got it, and loaded ROM Manager. I really didn't see any ROM's that were worth loading for the short time I had it rooted, so I flashed back to stock just because I could.

Now I'm sitting with a non-rooted stock G-Nexus with an unlocked boot loader.

I'm waiting for the first few rounds of updates before I root again. Hopefully there will be some nice ROM action by then.

sccpmusc26

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
I'm really digging the addition of the search button into the soft keys on the new CM (although it's not public yet). It's also on Pauls rom over at MoDaCo. Having a key to press and say your voice actions is a lot easier than pressing that tiny magnifying glass. I'd also like to remove the search bar that is affixed to all 5 screens home screens. Those two reasons, alone, are not enough for me to root yet....

I would've rooted on day 1 but finding the tethering app in the market has held me back. ;p

craigcls

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
I rooted my phone on day #2 of owning it, only so I can use some apps that require root, such as Titanium Backup. I came from the Fascinate and had custom ROMs on that device because of Bing, bloatware, etc that Verizon stuck us with. With the Nexus, I don't have any desire to load custom ROMs because it is much more refined without the crap that other phones come preloaded with.

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
I unlocked and rooted my phone on day three simply because I knew that I was going to do it eventually and I wanted to get it done before I accumulated much on the phone because unlocking the phone wipes it entirely. I stayed stock for about two weeks, though, just to get a feel for ICS. I'm still very close to a stock experience now, though, because the ROM I'm running is GummyNex.

Last edited:

xweb10

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
There are actually some ppl NOT rooting? :eek:

Yes. I was debating between the GN and the iphone, as i bet many other consumers were. Many consumers do not want to root nor know what it is. A real successful android phone will appeal to the masses. I asked this question to see how many "casual" users we have here.

Perhaps most users posting here are more than casual users or blackberry converts such as myself.

fantasma4

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
I unlocked and rooted my phone on day three simply because I knew that I was going to do it eventually and I wanted to get it done before I accumulated much on the phone because unlocking the phone wipes it entirely. I stayed stock for about two weeks, though, just to get a feel for ICS. I'm still very close to a stock experience now, though, because the ROM I'm running is GummyNex.

I did almost the same thing, unlocked and rooted the same day I got the phone. About a week later tried an alternate launcher, Nova, then a few days later flashed GummyNex.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

davey11

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
Yes. I was debating between the GN and the iphone, as i bet many other consumers were. Many consumers do not want to root nor know what it is. A real successful android phone will appeal to the masses. I asked this question to see how many "casual" users we have here.

Perhaps most users posting here are more than casual users or blackberry converts such as myself.

I meant my post mostly as a joke. Hard to convey without a "j/k" but I hoped the little emoticon would do the trick. Asking this on an android site would probably give you an inaccurate answer as most who come here are mostly enthusiasts or rabid fans like myself. (Just a guess with that last statement)

I would consider myself hardcore so my take on the rooting thing is very biased.

I flash roms maybe every 3 or 4 days and my phone is heavily modded. I can't survive without rooting but I can also see where you're coming from. :)

xweb10

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
I flash roms maybe every 3 or 4 days and my phone is heavily modded.

Wow. Does this really improve the experience that much?

If you told me rooting and flashing would give my 25% more battery life and close to 100% stability I would not hesitate.

rjack22

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
So far I see no need to root. I like to stay stock and only rooted the last time (Fascinate) to get rid of the bloatware.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12