Do you think the GN charges too fast?

dammitcubs

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
After using the phone a couple of weeks. One thing I have noticed was how fast the phone was charging. It was almost a straight up. Within an hour maybe 1.5 hours, you were easily at the upper 90's. Usually I would happy to know that for phone that sucks battery life like I would suck Kim Kardashian's melons, it charges very fast. But it makes me wonder, if the it is charging fast not because it can, but because it thinks its charged at 100%.

I also ran into another scenario where I was on a plane, watching a movie and I drained it from 60% to 20% and then driving home from the airport, i was down to my last 7% of battery. After talking to someone about showing him the battery, I pop it out (without powering down) and put it back into, but then the battery percentage jumped to 41%. I was like, this has got to be a fluke, so I decided to watch more of the divx movie was playing and after 1 hour of playing, I drained it down to 4%.

Makes me wonder if the boundaries of our battery are calibrated correctly. I did a power cycle, for the first week.

What are your thoughts? I have pictures from screen capture, I just need to upload them.

mikestorm

Nov 5, 2009
Visit site
Same. Dare I say this phone charges hella fast. At first I thought it was a poorly conditioned battery, but after conditioning the battery I've ruled that out.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Same. Dare I say this phone charges hella fast. At first I thought it was a poorly conditioned battery, but after conditioning the battery I've ruled that out.

How did you condition it? Take it down to close to 0 and then full charge? I'm thinking about it, but there's so much differing stuff out there I'm kind of wary TBH.

KoukiFC3S

Oct 9, 2009
Visit site
Today I drained my battery until the phone turned off.

I plugged it in while still off. After charging for about ten minutes, I turned it on and already had 40% battery!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Today I drained my battery until the phone turned off.

I plugged it in while still off. After charging for about ten minutes, I turned it on and already had 40% battery!

The AC adapter charges ridiculously fast...the USB/computer one, well, depends on what you're doing lol

JoeNM84

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
Charging too fast isn't the issue, the issue is that it was telling him it was down to 7% left but really had 40% after taking the battery out and putting it back in. So we all might not be using our batteries fully because it thinks it is almost dead before it really is.

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
I noticed that when I am in the 60's - 80's, it charges about 1% per minute. I guess the battery showing it discharging faster is better than the alternative of shutting off when it's showing 30% left.

I laughed when I saw the title of this thread. My first thought "Someone is actually complaining about a good charger?"

One thing that does irritate me about the charger is that I can't find one online anywhere to find an extra one.

brainless#AC

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
I have notice that the phone will go a long time when its saying 10% left i question if it the batt gage is messed up. Also when my first batt went bad it would take like 3 hours to charge and 3 hours to discharge but thats what drove me to the breaking point of demanding a new batt the phone always had horrable batt life from day one . I got a new batt and its like night and day compared to when i got the phone . I really think that there is more bad batterys out there then people realize my phone has been getting the battery life it should be now . I even debated returning the phone because of the batt life at first .

dammitcubs

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
why would charging to fast ever be a bad thing?

its DIScharging too fast that we need to worry about.

You can correlate the charging speed to current being applied to the capacitor. The higher the value usually can cause stress on the battery and thus lose its efficiency.

********************************************************************************************************************

Here is the screenshot from that incident:

Last edited:

rcpa

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
With a 1 amp charger and an 1850 mAh battery, I would expect it to charge from 0% to 100% in less than two hours. So it would not surprise me if it charged from 25% or so to 90% or so in around an hour and a half.

It should charge at a rate of around 50% an hour.

hyperdude

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
I noticed this too. I was with my family at Disney World and ran my Nexus down to empty (automatically shut down). Got back to the car, plugged it in for a minute or two and turned it back on, battery was at 51%. The percentage actually dropped to 45% after several minutes leaving it alone, then started charging back up.

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
I was going to start a thread about this. I can't believe how fast this thing charges. It even charges fast on a USB connected to a computer. I was lucky to get my Fascinate up even a few % doing that. I love how fast this charges. I have the extended battery and really haven't had any issues with poor battery life.

CFD323

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
With a 1 amp charger and an 1850 mAh battery, I would expect it to charge from 0% to 100% in less than two hours. So it would not surprise me if it charged from 25% or so to 90% or so in around an hour and a half.

It should charge at a rate of around 50% an hour.

Does it matter if I use a charger that's less than 1 amp? I picked one up on eBay and it's only .7 amp. Just will take longer to charge right?

...Sorry to hijack the thread...

Terrigno

Italiano Papi
Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Noticed fast charging also. Reminds me of the Atrix. That phone was a beast on battery life and charged real quick. I'm not complaining on the charging. Its good it does that since the battery don't last.

Blitzdroid

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Does it matter if I use a charger that's less than 1 amp? I picked one up on eBay and it's only .7 amp. Just will take longer to charge right?

...Sorry to hijack the thread...

correct. It just takes longer to charge. Should have gotten a 1 amp one for similar price or at most $1 extra on eBay.

E.T.

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
Hopefully we arent all back here in 4 or 5 months complaining that the fast charging killed the number of cycles the battery had before its life ran out haha

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance