Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Default Re: WiFi Tether on VZW GN - What Did I Just Stumble Upon?

Sweet!!! Nexus is trying to convert me before I'm ready...lol
    Galaxy Note 3 & Nexus 7 (16 GB)

If I helped you or you like what I said, hit "Thanks" or "Like".

if Verizon Wireless only charges $10 extra per month for hotspot feature, I'm sure a lot of people
    will sign up.... instead, they want $30/month and I don't know anybody who has this feature actiavated
    on their phone.

perhaps we should stop discussing/replying to this thread... or else Verizon will find out soon..

Since it just takes you to the settings I wonder if you just keep asking it over and over again if it'll just give up and work, without installing the widget.

ROM
    Stock

This is the Galaxy Nexus forum buddy . It won't work on your dinosaur.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
    I've watched Android since day 1 and I can't believe what it has become.

Phones: LG Optimus G Pro, LG Optimus L9, HTC Droid Eris, HTC Thunderbolt, HTC Evo 4G LTE, HTC Incredible 2, HTC One, Samsung Galaxy S3, Samsung Galaxy Note, Motorola Droid 2
    Tablets: Archos 7, Nexus 7 2013, Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1, Samsung Galaxy Tab+ 7.0, iPad 2, iPad Mini, iPad Air
    Samisgr8 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by FireFighter1183 View Post
    Just to sup it up? It works for those who DON'T have their phones rooted? Just asking.
    I'm rooted, and it does work. I do have the Wifi Tether app also but currently looking into other solutions... it's really annoying to have tether drop so often.

ROM
    CNA 3.0/leanKernel 4.2.0

Quote Originally Posted by FireFighter1183 View Post
    Just to sup it up? It works for those who DON'T have their phones rooted? Just asking.
    Correct. I'm not rooted and it works. I installed the free widget.

come to think of it, will Verizon Wireless bother to close this loophole
    if it only works on the Galaxy Nexus? There aren't that many Galaxy
    Nexus smartphones out there... I can see them shutting this down
    immediately if this loophole was discovered on the iPhone 4 or 4S.

My unrooted Galaxy Nexus works fine.... just tried the same trick on
    my co-worker's Moto RAZR and a couple of HTC phones...
    doesn't work on them... not really sure why. Perhaps VZW bloatware
    on those phones can prevent it?

Wish I could get it to work on my SGSII ET4G
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #59  

Global Posts
    410 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by af250xxl View Post

Hopefully not. Though, someone here in this thread said it worked on his DInc...

I have an unrooted TBolt sitting around at home. Maybe I'll fire it up tonight, reactivate it and see if this works on it too.

Thanks for the awesome find. Got it to work on my VW GN but it wouldn't work on a co-worker's Bionic. We could only hope that VW doesn't mess this up on the next update .

Global Posts
    143 Global Posts

Try it again on the other phones after they get their ICS update.

Quote Originally Posted by dmchenry35 View Post
    Did you say you have a wifi tether app (for rooted) users installed already?

Uninstall it, reboot phone, and then try flipping that switch and see what happens.

And why would any rooted user pay for tethering? Downloads - android-wifi-tether - Wireless Tether for Root Users - Google Project Hosting
    Because I worry that VZN has a way of tracking / detecting such things, and I wouldn't want to risk losing my unlimited plan. Do you have any info on whether they can detect streaming? I used wifi tether on my OG droid, but I've been reluctant to do so on my GNex.

Global Posts
    424 Global Posts
    ROM
    JB Viciousness

nice!! works using free widget
    though, i think 4g is down again, maybe just in NYC area? my and a coworkers GNex are getting nada with 4g turned on.

as for closing the loophole... i dont think big red can read the state of tethering on the phone. if a widget circumvents the subscription check, i dont see how vz can track that you are tethering... maybe if there is excessive data usage?

ROM
    Gnex: Shiny, A500 TO Omni

Sweet just tried this out on my finace's ipad and was surprised how fast the web pages loaded. Sorry no speed test but it was fast. Now I will bring my IconiaTab with me everywhere I go

ROM
    CNA 3.0/leanKernel 4.2.0

Quote Originally Posted by nycinek View Post
    nice!! works using free widget
    though, i think 4g is down again, maybe just in NYC area? my and a coworkers GNex are getting nada with 4g turned on.

as for closing the loophole... i dont think big red can read the state of tethering on the phone. if a widget circumvents the subscription check, i dont see how vz can track that you are tethering... maybe if there is excessive data usage?
    I think there may be some identifiable information that is sent when doing the handshake for the connection, as well as the traffic flow. VZW may be able to filter through it and detect it. But, it seems like quite a bit to go through to detect it.

Also, my suspicion on why the widget works is that it's simply setting a flag on/off via an operating system interface, in effect doing what the user interface would do. But, the restriction by Verizon may only be with the user interface, and not through direct access from another software. And that's why a piece of software can set it and not the user. This has nothing to do with the ability to track tethering as they're really separate issues, particularly if what is actually happening behind the scenes is as I describe.

if Verizon Wireless only charges $10 extra per month for hotspot feature, I'm sure a lot of people
    will sign up.... instead, they want $30/month and I don't know anybody who has this feature actiavated
    on their phone.

perhaps we should stop discussing/replying to this thread... or else Verizon will find out soon..
    not an option.
    Anone who made it in under the unlimited plan is literally locked into what they have.
    I checked when I bought the phone. Adding hotspot to your phone changes your plan and therefore forces you to LOOSE your unlimited plan.

When I pointed out that htis was a $h!tty policy to enforce just to trick people out of their unlimited plan the employee just said "google pdanet you will be fine... but you didn't hear it from me"

Frankly this is in my opinion why they cant just "add on" tethering to your plan if they catch you... it would be changing your plan which would reguire your permission.

they can warn you and or throttle you. but not change your plan. (i think)

Global Posts
    122 Global Posts

Haven't purchased the Nexus yet....using an unrooted Incredible. The portable wifi hotspot takes me to an active hotspot without the Verizon subscription notification, BUT when I open the browser on my connected tablet, it takes me to a Verizon page and not to my normal homepage. I haven't seen anyone else mention this. Doesn't that indicate that Verizon would in some fashion have notice of using the mobile hotspot?

Global Posts
    178 Global Posts

They might be able to determine the state. I know on my Incredible there was different authentication (found in 'hidden' service menus). The default authentication id for normal data access was <phonenumber>@vzw.blahblah.com but the default authentication id for wireless tether was <phonenumber>@dun.vzw.blahblah.com. You could get free tethering on the dinc simply by changing the tether id to the id without the 'dun.'. But I suspect there is a similar configuration somewhere within the nexus and as long as they have that...they could easily check if you have paid for the service.
    BB Convert

Global Posts
    307 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.0.4

Just confirmed the free app Portable Wi-Fi Hotspot Widget works on an UNROOTED Nexus. I had my friend connect his iPhone 4 to my phone and load espn.

My questions: -

Can I change the default password?

If Verizon WERE to catch this, do they have the right to charge us for using a free official app from the Android market on an unrooted phone? I wouldn't think so. A slap on the wrist, maybe.

Yes you can change the password, I just installed and tried it out with a coworker. Works well.

Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by RyMac04 View Post
    My questions: -

Can I change the default password?
    Yes you can. Once you have it enabled, pull the notification bar and click on the Tethered icon. It will take you to the WiFi Hotspot settings and there is an option there to change the name of the network and password.

Quote Originally Posted by RyMac04 View Post
    If Verizon WERE to catch this, do they have the right to charge us for using a free official app from the Android market on an unrooted phone? I wouldn't think so. A slap on the wrist, maybe.
    Normally, other carriers have the following stance: if they realize you are tethering your phone, they will send you a "gentle" notification that they know you are doing this, and if you continue to do so they will automatically "upgrade" or "add" you to the convenient $30 a month for the Hotspot feature within a certain timeframe (14-30 days). They cannot change your contract without you explicitly telling them to do so or without them giving you a heads up that things may change.
    Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity.
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by gecko View Post
    not an option.
    Anone who made it in under the unlimited plan is literally locked into what they have.
    I checked when I bought the phone. Adding hotspot to your phone changes your plan and therefore forces you to LOOSE your unlimited plan.

When I pointed out that htis was a $h!tty policy to enforce just to trick people out of their unlimited plan the employee just said "google pdanet you will be fine... but you didn't hear it from me"

Frankly this is in my opinion why they cant just "add on" tethering to your plan if they catch you... it would be changing your plan which would reguire your permission.

they can warn you and or throttle you. but not change your plan. (i think)

???

That can't be right. I have grandfathered unlimited data. I have activated hotspot twice
    when I went on a long trip. I deactivated hotspot after I no longer needed it. VZW only
    charged for that month of hotspot usage. (once in August and once in October)

My unlimited plan remains unaffected. Checked it again just now... still says unlimited.
    (although I have no even come close to using more than 1GB per month in the last
    two years )
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by waldo15 View Post
    Yes you can. Once you have it enabled, pull the notification bar and click on the Tethered icon. It will take you to the WiFi Hotspot settings and there is an option there to change the name of the network and password.
    I also changed the default name from AndroidAP to something more generic.
    No sense in alerting the neighbors that someone is using smartphone hotspot.

I was playing with again today and I was able to connect to my GN from as far as
    15 feet away... is this normal? I thought smartphone hotspot wifi requires the
    phone and laptop(or iPad) to be right next to each other?
    BB Convert

Global Posts
    307 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.0.4

???

That can't be right. I have grandfathered unlimited data. I have activated hotspot twice
    when I went on a long trip. I deactivated hotspot after I no longer needed it. VZW only
    charged for that month of hotspot usage. (once in August and once in October)

My unlimited plan remains unaffected. Checked it again just now... still says unlimited.
    (although I have no even come close to using more than 1GB per month in the last
    two years )
    So you are confirming that you officially activated WiFi Hotspot with Verizon, and were able to later de-activate it without losing your unlimited plan, or incurring charges after discontinued use?

Great!

Quote Originally Posted by gecko View Post
    not an option.
    This is incorrect. When I had a Bionic, I added the tethering option to my plan, as I live in an area where satellite internet is my only other option and my unlimited 4G plan is now my main internet connection at home. Now that I have the GNex, unlocked and rooted, I'll probably cancel the option and tether for free, once I can verify somehow that doing so won't cost me my unlimited plan.
    Thanked by:
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast