Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes
    Mobile Enthusiast

Global Posts
    601 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP JB B1/Franco M5

Default Re: WiFi Tether on VZW GN - What Did I Just Stumble Upon?

Quote Originally Posted by Super Turtleman View Post
    But you can run hotspot on either 3G or 4G right?
    Correct, just apparently not EVDO which is one version of 3g.

So if I get this, I can tether without being charged for data usage?
    under settings>data usage it shows "tethering and hotspot" with data usage.
    I currently have the 4gb data plan, so I don't want to pay out.

Quote Originally Posted by brian206 View Post
    So if I get this, I can tether without being charged for data usage?
    under settings>data usage it shows "tethering and hotspot" with data usage.
    I currently have the 4gb data plan, so I don't want to pay out.
    Just to be clear, you're still using your plan's allotted data (4GB, in this case) when you tether. What this is allowing you to avoid is the additional fee associated with enabling tethering through your carrier. You still have to pay the same for your regular data plan, but you'll be using up your 4GB a lot faster (on a laptop and/or sharing with others) than you would otherwise.

Just started using this last week. Works perfectly. My only question is about the data usage in the settings. when I click on the data usage icon it shows that is using data via tethering and a mobile hotspot. Is this the red flag?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

I'm trying this on a Samsung fascinate. But when i connect to my xoom a vzw page shows up saying I can not connect. What am I doing wrong. Can sum1 help

XOOMING IN WIFI

....didn't see it in all 18 pages here, but this loophole works but still uses your data. Hence, if your on unlimited data, we all should be okay as far as charges not occuring, correct? has anyone been charged?

worked for me on my g'nex with the free app, hooked to my buddies iPod touch and worked fine....
    Last edited by scottfromga; 03-06-2012 at 08:36 AM.

Still works!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Samisgr8 View Post
    Here's a free, standalone hotspot widget that worked for me -
    Does that one still work on the Verizon Galaxy Nexus?

Thanks!

Dunno but I'm using this right now.

Been worth the 10 dollars. I use it all the time and it has never failed.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201

Just to get this straight, I'm running a ROM that has a wifi tether toggle included. By using this toggle I will be able to tether and get the same results that those here have gotten/are getting by using the various third party apps mentioned?

Yes

Quote Originally Posted by af250xxl View Post
    Does that one still work on the Verizon Galaxy Nexus?

Thanks!
    Yes, I've used that one successfully before. I've tried several others and they all work fine. I use the Power Control Plus widget primarily (since I had already purchased it a few years ago), but any widget that toggles the wi-fi tethering/hotspot in the background directly should work. If it is one that merely acts as a shortcut to the settings page so that you still have to check the box manually, then that won't work.

As for the person (dew7) who posted earlier trying this on the Samsung Fascinate, keep in mind that this thread is only referring to the Verizon Galaxy Nexus. Other methods to enable tethering exist (for both rooted and unrooted devices), so you just have to find what works on your device.

Happy Tethering! ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by zxphenomenalxz View Post
    Wish I could provide a link but unfortunately its an internal Verizon link. But obviously if no one has been charged for it its true. We don't advertise it to customers and do u honesty think Verizon would make it that easy for you to activate it. When I get back to work ill try to snap a photo of the info but I can't make guarantees. But all I know is its part of being a nexus .. Google's policy on phone. Again though its only available to those with 29.99 unlimited data plan.
    I'm sorry, but this is bull. When you try to start the tethering through the settings menu, you get an error telling you to subscribe if you're not currently signed up. More than likely this is just acting as a workaround to get past that error but I wouldn't be surprised if it's fixed in the next release we get from Verizon.
    Slink
    Follow me on Twitter!

I have a gnex on verizon not rooted and have been using foxfi for over a month now to get free hotspotting. Its free in google play. It works on many phones. No subscription required. Give it a try.

Quote Originally Posted by sbenson1189 View Post
    I have a gnex on verizon not rooted and have been using foxfi for over a month now to get free hotspotting. Its free in google play. It works on many phones. No subscription required. Give it a try.
    Just downloaded this and using my phone right now. So far, pretty good!
    I was looking around to find out why my laptop doesn't recognize my phone when I plug the USB cable into it. This should get me around that for a while.

Seems pretty fast as well! Well, now this is great!

Quote Originally Posted by sbenson1189 View Post
    Thanks! This sounds good. I'll check out my VZ account tomorrow to see if they caught on.
    It does select the box in settings saying that I am tethering, but nothing is coming up asking me for a subscription service.

Quote Originally Posted by dmchenry35 View Post
    Did you say you have a wifi tether app (for rooted) users installed already?

Uninstall it, reboot phone, and then try flipping that switch and see what happens.

And why would any rooted user pay for tethering?
    So I have been using that and everything I have tethered the data has not been applied towards my download total on vzw's website, is that normal? I am not worried as I am on the unlimited plan but just curious as to if vzw can see all this data I am using tethered.

Try Foxfi. It works perfectly on a Maxx.
    "When you turn your Android on, does it return the favor?"
    greyhd likes this.

been using a hotspot widget for months now... thinking about updating to 4.0.4. does anyone know if free tethering with this method still works in 4.0.4? would hate to lose the ability in the upgrade.

thanks.

Does this still work on the Verizon GNEX on 4.0.4?

Update: I tested it, and this still works on the 4.0.4 VZW sent OTA.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    646 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rbess1965 View Post
    Try Foxfi. It works perfectly on a Maxx.
    I am using this as well and works like a charm.
    Keyboard Warrior

Global Posts
    574 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Any app or widget I've tried so far that activates tethering works.

Jellybean - Can we get an update from someone who has tested switchpro on VZW GN with Jellybean OTA update when it comes out. My jellybean upgrade depends on tether still working.
  25. Thread Author  Thread Author    #200  

Global Posts
    409 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by husky8 View Post
    Jellybean - Can we get an update from someone who has tested switchpro on VZW GN with Jellybean OTA update when it comes out. My jellybean upgrade depends on tether still working.
    Works fine on the JB Roms. In fact, you can initiate the hotspot from the settings menu and it works fine.
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast