No Notification Bubbles on ICS

flyfish23

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sure why Google would remove notification bubbles on apps like mail, gmail and messaging and only show it on the notification pull down menu. It seems so basic to see the icon and know how many unread messages you have.

Anybody not happy with this?

Is there a good workaround?

VideoEngineerAJS

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sure why Google would remove notification bubbles on apps like mail, gmail and messaging and only show it on the notification pull down menu. It seems so basic to see the icon and know how many unread messages you have.

I honestly don't know the answer to this as this is my first device without a manufacturer's framework, but did they ever have it or was that just the manufacturer who put that there? I thought they discussed this on Mobile Nations?

Mooem

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I don't think stock Android ever had that feature. You could only ever get it through third party launchers, apps, or it was built into manufacturers UI (TouchWiz, Sense, etc.)

Last edited:

tntdroid

Droiderator
Feb 19, 2010
www.flickr.com
IPhones love the bubbles. Stock Android us what your seeing now. Some skins on other Android phones give you bubbles. Need a 3rd party text if you want them. I used chomp in the past and it had a bunch of custom options.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

TabGuy

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
IPhones love the bubbles.

Funny thing about that. My wife has an original iPad. I was thinking about getting one too but I hated the popup bubbles so much I waited and got the Galaxy Tab 10.1. That one feature that couldn't be turned off turned me off to the iPad. I'm certainly glad I waited.

mrmoe110

Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
Stock Android never had popups. Handcent and chomp SMS do. You can even set it so you get the popup notification but stock SMS is used for everything else.

kharrigan

Now using God's Phone
Sep 2, 2011
Visit site

Wait, are we talking about badges (like the small number in a circle on app icons) or pop-up notifications?

I kinda miss the badges, but feel that the notification page is a more efficient way of addressing the issue.

GMC MaXx

May 10, 2011
Visit site
I hated those little badges and I kept them turned off. If the app icon wasn't on your home screen you wouldn't see the little badge anyway. Having it in the notification bar is way better and cleaner.

dammitcubs

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
what are notification bubbles?

I don't see a bubble. When you get a notification, it shows up on the top of the status bar? I have seen this all stock android OS and Touchwiz for GS2.

Can you show pick of this "bubble"?

Thanks/.

VideoEngineerAJS

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
what are notification bubbles?

I don't see a bubble. When you get a notification, it shows up on the top of the status bar? I have seen this all stock android OS and Touchwiz for GS2.

Can you show pick of this "bubble"?

Thanks/.

I think they mean like this...

Bubble.jpg

MBSMD

Feb 7, 2010
Visit site
Funny thing about that. My wife has an original iPad. I was thinking about getting one too but I hated the popup bubbles so much I waited and got the Galaxy Tab 10.1. That one feature that couldn't be turned off turned me off to the iPad. I'm certainly glad I waited.
You can turn them off in iOS 5. But there's no option to put them in the top status bar (though they will show in the pull down notification panel like on Android).

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
The iPhone has it, my Sammy GS2 has it, just why would they take a simple feature like that away?

I'm not sure what bubble you are referring to. I don't remember seeing it on either my Bionic, Tbolt, or charge.

Do you have any screen shots?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jokomad