Will Root stop OTA?

s0nic69

Feb 1, 2010
Visit site
Hey guys, quick question,

So i got my nexus from verizon, i unlocked the bootloader. From what i understand, this will still allow me to receive OTA updates with no problem.

Now i want to root it and install SuperUser so i can get more out of my phone. My question is, would i still be able to get and install OTA updates? Would i probably just have to root my phone again after i get an OTA update?

Thank you,

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
I'm surprised that 10 different threads with almost this same title did not pop up after you entered you title. They all have your answer, which is yes, you will still get OTA updates, as long as you don't freeze or remove the few bloat apps that Verizon installs on the phone. It is possible that you may lose root from an OTA update, but not definite. If you do lose root, just re-root.

Another option would be to install one of the custom ROMs that already have 4.0.3. Go here (http://forums.androidcentral.com/ve...backup-restore-install-roms-galaxy-nexus.html) for excellent instructions. The ROM developers will always be ahead of what Verizon releases in an OTA. I'm running Axiom 2.3. It's completely stable, very fast, and I highly recommend it.

marcw

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
as long as you don't freeze or remove the few bloat apps that Verizon installs on the phone.

if i "disabled" verizon backup and my verizon moble, i might not get the OTAs?

(probably will not matter, by the time it comes out, i would be on a different rom.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech