razr faster then my gnex (speedtest/web)

S281

Sep 9, 2011
Visit site
My wife just got a RAZR and i have a Gnex. I was playing with both and used the speedtest app on both phones. The RAZR consistently scores higher downloading by 2 Mbps. No matter if its in 4G or Wifi. I did the test about 10 times on each phone and on 4G and wifi. Upload speed is usually about the same for both phones.

Also, if you go to the same web page, the RAZR always loads it a couple seconds faster then my Gnex.

Her phone does have a stronger signal. The Razr shows -73dBm 0asu while the gnex is -96dBm 44asu.

Is that the reason that her phone is faster, just because of the signal?

Lodingi

Q&A Team
Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
Yup. That's typical of what we're seeing. I was at the Massapequa, NY Verizon store this evening. I decided to test their phones with the Speedtest.net app. I tested the Razr, Bionic, Rezound & Charge. All 4 phones destroyed my Nexus by a wide margin. Sadly, neither my Nexus, nor the display Nexus were able to get a 4G signal. They stayed locked on 3G. Now this is an area saturated in LTE. As you can imagine I was quite disappointed and am seriously contemplating returning my Nexus. What a shame.

Jet300

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
Yup. That's typical of what we're seeing. I was at the Massapequa, NY Verizon store this evening. I decided to test their phones with the Speedtest.net app. I tested the Razr, Bionic, Rezound & Charge. All 4 phones destroyed my Nexus by a wide margin. Sadly, neither my Nexus, norp the display Nexus were able to get a 4G signal. They stayed locked on 3G. Now this is an area saturated in LTE. As you can imagine I was quite disappointed and am seriously contemplating returning my Nexus. What a shame.

How weird. I work not that far away in Farmingdale and both the GN I have now and the original one that I returned for a screen blemish are both faster than my co worker's Razr.

Love this device :)

cgmarkie

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
I'm averaging 25 mbps right now in Atlanta at -88 dBm 52 asu. I have service at work where cells rarely work. Maybe you have a lemon? This is a great device.

KoukiFC3S

Oct 9, 2009
Visit site
First of all you can't compare the dbm between the two devices. The Nexus reports LTE signal, and the Razr with gingerbread shows you the 3G signal strength. Anandtech wrote a story about this.

Also, Motorola's radios are always top notch. I'm not surprised it gets better signal than the Nexus.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Reactions: bplewis24

BigDroid

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
My wife just got a RAZR and i have a Gnex. I was playing with both and used the speedtest app on both phones. The RAZR consistently scores higher downloading by 2 Mbps. No matter if its in 4G or Wifi. I did the test about 10 times on each phone and on 4G and wifi. Upload speed is usually about the same for both phones.

Also, if you go to the same web page, the RAZR always loads it a couple seconds faster then my Gnex.

Her phone does have a stronger signal. The Razr shows -73dBm 0asu while the gnex is -96dBm 44asu.

Is that the reason that her phone is faster, just because of the signal?

I've had nothing but great results from my Nexus.I switched from Sprint because of the slowwwww signal.And terrible
service in my house.As I type this my signal from my Nexus is. -75dbm.My 4g never drops below 3 bars always is between 3-4 bars just like my 3g signal.

jphillips1963

Banned
Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
I get 25 mbps with barely any signal on my Rezound. I owned the GN and been to three Verizon stores and still my Rezound will load web pages and do speed test much quicker than any GN will dream of. I've had as high as 81 mbps with my Rezound and on avg it pulls in around 50mbps. I get 4g where I've never before and the GN wouldn't even pull in 3g.

Now dBm is just that its signal strength period regardless of radio its how much signal a radio is receiving. I don't care what analtech says they aren't correct in this matter. No different than sound decibels brom bass or mids or highs different sounds yet same decibel output.

a6f88a6c-1889-db7b.jpg

sent from my Rezound using Tapatalk

Ken7

May 25, 2011
Visit site
How weird. I work not that far away in Farmingdale and both the GN I have now and the original one that I returned for a screen blemish are both faster than my co worker's Razr.

Love this device :)

Yeah, that's what I found when I had both. Although the Razr was slightly better at holding on to a weak signal, the GNex was better at holding on to a 4G signal once it had it. The Razr would drop to 3G before the GNex.

Additionally I got pretty consistent speed tests where the GNex was showing better download speeds. If I had to guess, I'd say about 75% of the time the GNex's speed surpassed the Razr.

darreno1

Nov 29, 2009
Visit site
As you can imagine I was quite disappointed and am seriously contemplating returning my Nexus. What a shame.

Remember you have a Nexus which means it's going to get frequent updates. Imagine returning it, only to learn there was an update that addressed the radio issue weeks later. Also think about the pain of waiting for ICS on the other phones, then having to wait for updates after that. Also what if the radio issue is an ICS bug and after you update to ICS you get the same problem, lol.

mears

Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
Remember you have a Nexus which means it's going to get frequent updates. Imagine returning it, only to learn there was an update that addressed the radio issue weeks later. Also think about the pain of waiting for ICS on the other phones, then having to wait for updates after that. Also what if the radio issue is an ICS bug and after you update to ICS you get the same problem, lol.

Imagine not returning it and getting stuck with a phone with a weak radio for 2 years. So far there has been no indication that there will be a fix for this piss poor radio. If the fix isn't in 4.0.3 (highly likely), you're way better off returning the phone and eating the $35 restocking fee. Assuming it does get fixed in 4.0.4, the phone's price will have dropped far more than the $35 you forfeited.

S281

Sep 9, 2011
Visit site
Don't get me wrong,i absolutely love my nexus and would never return it. The screen and camera are way better than the razr. I just want the bragging rights as having the faster phone as well, lol

Man i hope the next update to the radio really helps it.

darreno1

Nov 29, 2009
Visit site
Imagine not returning it and getting stuck with a phone with a weak radio for 2 years. So far there has been no indication that there will be a fix for this piss poor radio. If the fix isn't in 4.0.3 (highly likely), you're way better off returning the phone and eating the $35 restocking fee. Assuming it does get fixed in 4.0.4, the phone's price will have dropped far more than the $35 you forfeited.

Actually the radio issue is overblown. At the very worst you might get slightly less data speeds. Unless you are downloading lots of large files everyday you're not going to notice the difference. Today I was on 4g with 1 bar and was browsing at blazing speeds. At that same Iocation I was able to hold a techsupport call for about an hour. I don't get dropped calls. If I did it would be returned in a heart beat because I need a reliable phone first and foremost and the Nexus hasn't disappointed me yet.

Channan

Keyboard Warrior
Mar 21, 2010
Visit site
I get 25 mbps with barely any signal on my Rezound. I owned the GN and been to three Verizon stores and still my Rezound will load web pages and do speed test much quicker than any GN will dream of. I've had as high as 81 mbps with my Rezound and on avg it pulls in around 50mbps. I get 4g where I've never before and the GN wouldn't even pull in 3g.

Now dBm is just that its signal strength period regardless of radio its how much signal a radio is receiving. I don't care what analtech says they aren't correct in this matter. No different than sound decibels brom bass or mids or highs different sounds yet same decibel output.

Click to view quoted image

http://forums.androidcentral.com/verizon-htc-rezound/

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site

Click to view quoted image

You don't know what you're talking about. The anandtech article was completely correct; the phone does not have a signal problem. It has a signal QUALITY problem. The strength of signal the nexus receives is no different than what the rezound gets. It's what is happening when the signal reaches the phone and the phone processes it that everyone is noticing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: karn101

Nexusfan

Jan 2, 2012
Visit site
Actually the radio issue is overblown. At the very worst you might get slightly less data speeds. Unless you are downloading lots of large files everyday you're not going to notice the difference.

I disagree. I have always had good results with my OG Droid at my house. Since getting the Nexus I have little to no signal at home. Not just measured, actual BW. Last night I got 0.02mb, this morning I have no signal.

Like yourself, reliability is important to me.I tether in fringe areas where low BW is OK, but no connectivity is not. Unfortunately, I cracked the screen and can't return it.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using WIFI

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
Originally Posted by darreno1 :

Imagine not returning it and getting stuck with a phone with a weak radio for 2 years.
This.

Not everyone is on a family plan or whatever that allows you an upgrade every six months. Some of us will be stuck with our choice for the full term.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar