Gmail Preferences

D1andOnlyOmen

May 20, 2011
Visit site
Hey guys. So this isn't necessarily a Gnex specific question really more of a general question, but since I tried a search in the overall forums and didn't really find anything to answer this, figured I'd toss it out here in the Gnex forums since I know there's some pretty savvy power users in here! :D

I've been using Gmail for close to 9 months now as my primary email after migrating to it from my hotmail account in preparation for getting my first Android phone back in September (Bionic) and now my 2nd Android phone, the Gnex. I feel like I've become fairly proficient in using Gmail and pretty familiar with all the various settings and label features and what have you.

I personally really like the conversation view of things in both the desktop/web view of my inbox as well as on my phone, but for whatever reason I can't convince my fiancee that this is the better way to view things. She seems to really be partial to the "traditional" style for viewing an email inbox where each email is shown as it's own entry, not all lumped together by conversation. I've been through all of the settings in the Gmail app on both my Gnex and her Dinc2 (I realize they're not the exact same version due to ICS on the Gnex), but I can't find any way to switch this view. I had an epiphany last night laying in bed that maybe it was controlled through the web settings. I found where you can turn off the "conversation" view in the web settings and just view each individual email on its own and thought since there didn't seem to be this same setting on the Gmail app for the phones, maybe this would do the trick. But on my own personal account and using the Gnex, this didn't seem to work as expected.....still seeing in conversation view on the phone.

Does ANYONE know if there's a way to get the Gmail phone app to turn off the conversation view for emails?!?!?

Thanks in advance for any responses!!! :)

anon(596177)

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Hey guys. So this isn't necessarily a Gnex specific question really more of a general question, but since I tried a search in the overall forums and didn't really find anything to answer this, figured I'd toss it out here in the Gnex forums since I know there's some pretty savvy power users in here! :D

I've been using Gmail for close to 9 months now as my primary email after migrating to it from my hotmail account in preparation for getting my first Android phone back in September (Bionic) and now my 2nd Android phone, the Gnex. I feel like I've become fairly proficient in using Gmail and pretty familiar with all the various settings and label features and what have you.

I personally really like the conversation view of things in both the desktop/web view of my inbox as well as on my phone, but for whatever reason I can't convince my fiancee that this is the better way to view things. She seems to really be partial to the "traditional" style for viewing an email inbox where each email is shown as it's own entry, not all lumped together by conversation. I've been through all of the settings in the Gmail app on both my Gnex and her Dinc2 (I realize they're not the exact same version due to ICS on the Gnex), but I can't find any way to switch this view. I had an epiphany last night laying in bed that maybe it was controlled through the web settings. I found where you can turn off the "conversation" view in the web settings and just view each individual email on its own and thought since there didn't seem to be this same setting on the Gmail app for the phones, maybe this would do the trick. But on my own personal account and using the Gnex, this didn't seem to work as expected.....still seeing in conversation view on the phone.

Does ANYONE know if there's a way to get the Gmail phone app to turn off the conversation view for emails?!?!?

Thanks in advance for any responses!!! :)

Im trying to better understand your problem here. In my Gmail it doesnt look like my emails are getting put into that conversational view on my gnex. Take a look at the attached screenshot. Does your gmail look the same way?

D1andOnlyOmen

May 20, 2011
Visit site
Im trying to better understand your problem here. In my Gmail it doesnt look like my emails are getting put into that conversational view on my gnex. Take a look at the attached screenshot. Does your gmail look the same way?

From looking at your screen shot, I'm not entirely sure what you have going on here.....it kind of seems like the "conversation" view (since it shows the "me" and 2 messages as part of that conversation), but I see where it seems that you have what appear to be numerous emails all part of the same "conversation" but yet they're not all grouped together in one row. But when I change my setting online to not show the conversation option, it doesn't even show the "me" part and what would essentially be the item from my sent folder as part of what's in my inbox (which by the "me" reference in your screen shot I would assume you're still seeing in your emails).

How do you have the web version of your Gmail set up? Was there a setting in the Gmail app that you set to make your emails show like your screen shot at least? I really can't seem to find anything in the app settings....not nearly as many settings options there as what's on the web version.....

Revolutionary

May 12, 2010
Visit site

That's the conversation view.

OP: I'm pretty certain that you cannot do what you want in the Gmail app. There just isn't a setting anywhere (web or phone) to toggle it.

Any reason she can't just use the "Email" app with her gmail account?

jerrod6

May 20, 2011
Visit site
This is too bad because I really dislike conversation mode. I have Gmail on my PC set up for individual emails without this conversation thing. To get around this I will usually reply to a person using a different title- even if it is about a prior discussion.

D1andOnlyOmen

May 20, 2011
Visit site
OP: I'm pretty certain that you cannot do what you want in the Gmail app. There just isn't a setting anywhere (web or phone) to toggle it.

Any reason she can't just use the "Email" app with her gmail account?

I would agree that there doesn't appear to be a way in the Gmail phone app to switch/turn off the conversation view, but there is definitely a way through the settings on the web to turn this off. Just wish there was the same setting on the phone, or that when you turned it off through the web it would carry through to the phone app.

The fiancee is using the "Email" app that came as part of Sense, but I'm pretty sure it's showing them the same way (conversation style). Not sure if changing it view the web for hers will change it on the phone, might try that this evening. The other irritation she's having is that she also uses a Yahoo account that she has set up in the Sense email app.....it would display some of her email content at all....you can see the email in the list but when you open it, it's just a blank/white page. No option to "display content" or anything like that that might be HTML related that I can tell. If she views them through the actual Yahoo mail app, they're fine. She may decide to exchange it this weekend altogether since she got it recently under the extended return period until the 15th.

Trying to convince her to get a Nexus, but she doesn't see the value in spending that much money on a phone.....silly girl..... :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12