1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Nexus & Slingbox quality?

Has anyone used the Slingbox HD Pro in conjunction with the GNex? I don't seem to be able to stream the Slingbox smoothly on the Nexus. The picture is sharp, but it almost looks like a low frame rate despite choosing "HQ" quality. I don't have this problem to nearly the same degree on my computer or laptop.

I find this happens on both WiFi and 4G.

Global Posts
    2,618 Global Posts
    ROM
    ICS 4.0.4

Default Re: Nexus & Slingbox quality?

Quote Originally Posted by Ken7 View Post
    Has anyone used the Slingbox HD Pro in conjunction with the GNex? I don't seem to be able to stream the Slingbox smoothly on the Nexus. The picture is sharp, but it almost looks like a low frame rate despite choosing "HQ" quality. I don't have this problem to nearly the same degree on my computer or laptop.

I find this happens on both WiFi and 4G.
    I have been really happy with it. I had quite a few problems with it on my Bionic. It has worked awesomely on my GNex.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Paul, are you using the Slingbox HD and are you getting very smooth video on the GNex?? Mine is pretty stuttery. If you look at a channel with a ticker on the bottom, you can see the ticker stutter (just using that an easy example).

Global Posts
    2,618 Global Posts
    ROM
    ICS 4.0.4

Paul, are you using the Slingbox HD and are you getting very smooth video on the GNex?? Mine is pretty stuttery. If you look at a channel with a ticker on the bottom, you can see the ticker stutter (just using that an easy example).
    Yup Slingbox HD. I haven't had a stutter. I almost always did when I was on my Bionic and Charge. So far it has been good with my Nexus. In fact I was using it a couple of nights ago in a moving vehicle.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Man oh man. I wonder what setting could be off. I get it on 4G too, so I don't think it's the network. Are you saying it's as smooth as watching regular TV??

Are you rooted or do you think you have some special settings enabled for this? I'm pretty much stock.

Global Posts
    2,618 Global Posts
    ROM
    ICS 4.0.4

Man oh man. I wonder what setting could be off. I get it on 4G too, so I don't think it's the network. Are you saying it's as smooth as watching regular TV??

Are you rooted or do you think you have some special settings enabled for this? I'm pretty much stock.
    Not as smooth as watching regular TV. I don't think that is possible with how our phone signals. But, at least for me it has been a lot better than it was on my older phones. It also works better on my Nexus than it does on my Xoom. On my Xoom it freezes up constantly every fifteen or twenty minutes or so.

I am a truck driver so, I'm all over the place in CA, NV, and AZ. So, I get to use things like this in a variety of areas out West here.

Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I have a Slingbox Pro (the old red, not the most current HD one) and Using slingbox over Wifi with my Gnex I have noticed the following:

- There is a slight audio delay. Is ever so slight that you don't notice it until you have a lot of chatter happening on screen. Not a deal break.
    - Image quality is crisp
    - Framerates are pegged at 15-20 FPS. This is because of the Slingbox compression technology I believe, as the WiFi network is literally only doing Sling'ing locally. I can imagine the experience will be downgraded when over the air.

In any case, I'd say the experience overall is very positive for me.
    Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity.

I have a Slingbox HD hooked into a wireless n bridge. It works great with the nexus, both on wifi and LTE. If you have it hooked up this way, your wireless router makes a difference. I used to have an old linksys wrt54g and it stuttered a lot even over a wired connection to the router. I got an e3000 last year and it makes a world of difference.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Quote Originally Posted by waldo15 View Post
    I have a Slingbox Pro (the old red, not the most current HD one) and Using slingbox over Wifi with my Gnex I have noticed the following:

- There is a slight audio delay. Is ever so slight that you don't notice it until you have a lot of chatter happening on screen. Not a deal break.
    - Image quality is crisp
    - Framerates are pegged at 15-20 FPS. This is because of the Slingbox compression technology I believe, as the WiFi network is literally only doing Sling'ing locally. I can imagine the experience will be downgraded when over the air.

In any case, I'd say the experience overall is very positive for me.
    Thanks Waldo. Your comment on frame rate is what nailed it for me. I think you're 100% on target. My initial impression was that the frame rate was about 20fps and not the standard 30fps for smooth motion. I'm not sure if you saw that stat somewhere on the Slingbox webpage or literature, but it does seem consistent with what I'm seeing.

The experience is much better on a computer or laptop. The motion is much smoother, but not "TV smooth". Still, it's pretty good on a computer or laptop.

The interesting thing is if you download the MovieFone app, you can see what the Nexus is capable of. With that app you can see very smooth, ultra sharp HD trailers. So I know the phone is capable of that even on 4G. The difference between those trailers and what I see on the Nexus via the Slingbox HD, is day & night. So I'm not sure if they deliberately throttle back the bandwidth on the Slingbox by cutting frame rate, but that seems to be the end result.

Global Posts
    2,618 Global Posts
    ROM
    ICS 4.0.4

I think slingbox does better on my Nexus than netflix.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
    Sent from my Verizon Galaxy Note 2, Verizon Galaxy S4, or N7, or MacBook Air

Global Posts
    515 Global Posts
    ROM
    Jelly 'Beans', Stock

I use my Dish 922 with built-in Sling and I find the quality to be great.
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Quote Originally Posted by PaulDroidR2D2 View Post
    I think slingbox does better on my Nexus than netflix.

I think the video is sharper on the Nexus with Netflix than the Slingbox, but the motion is smoother for me with Netflix.
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

Quote Originally Posted by TWISM View Post
    I use my Dish 922 with built-in Sling and I find the quality to be great.
    How is your motion smoothness? If you watch a channel with a ticker tape at the bottom (an easy way to check the fluidity of motion), does the ticker flow smoothly for a long period. On my Nexus with the Slingbox HD, the motion shows some stuttering. I don't get nearly that much stuttering with the Slingbox on my computers.

Global Posts
    2,618 Global Posts
    ROM
    ICS 4.0.4

I think the video is sharper on the Nexus with Netflix than the Slingbox, but the motion is smoother for me with Netflix.
    The picture on Netflix tends to get pixelated periodically where I haven't had that with slingbox.

Sent from my Verizon Galaxy Note 2, Verizon Galaxy S4, or N7, or MacBook Air

Hi Guys...

This is off topic...but I don't have enough posts for PMs.

I like in ATL and I have a Slingbox Pro HD that is the only connection to a DirecTV HD reciever with Total Choice (all non-adult premiums and ATL HD locals).

Since I now have both a boxee box and Logitech revue with the Slingplayer apps...and very eager to find someone in LA with whom I can trade access. I am particularly interested in LA HD locals to keep up on what's going on out west (I am trying to work up the nerve to finally move out there!)

I have the fastest available internet from Charter cable ( 100 Mbs/down and 5 Mbs/up).

Any chance you might be willing to trade guest accesses???

Thanks.

Please feel free to drop me a line directly at