Verizon just "pushed an update" to address my connectivity issues

mears

Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
So, I just called VZW after another connectivity dropout and was routed to tier 2 support. The person I spoke to acknowledged the issue and said she was going to "push an update" to fix it. After having me do a battery and sim card pull, she "pushed the update" and said, "that will take care of any future problems". However, my about phone screen looks exactly the same. Am I missing something?

geocurt

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
Re: Verizon just "pushed an update" to address my connectivity is

Maybe they updated your PRL list? Sounds more like they just sent a refresh and tried to get you off the phone though.

fed123

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site

Well, does the phone act any differently?

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site

Since it's SIM-based, she probably just had your phone's SIM refreshed on the network. That usually fixes a lot of problems.

CRKhead

May 2, 2010
Visit site

Pulling the SIM Card and Battery is a way to manually start a PRL check on the phone. *228 was the way you did it on 3G phones, but 4G phones keep themselves up to date... The only way to force the phone to check is the SIM/Battery pull...

Reactions: ConTejas

captain_dl

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site

Pulling the SIM Card and Battery is a way to manually start a PRL check on the phone. *228 was the way you did it on 3G phones, but 4G phones keep themselves up to date... The only way to force the phone to check is the SIM/Battery pull...
Not to be a total noob about this, but when you pull the SIM, do you start the phone without it or do you pull it out and place it back in the restart. If you pull it out and place it back in then restart, is there some way the phone knows you pulled the SIM?

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site

Not to be a total noob about this, but when you pull the SIM, do you start the phone without it or do you pull it out and place it back in the restart. If you pull it out and place it back in then restart, is there some way the phone knows you pulled the SIM?
What's wrong with being a "total newbie" anyway? :)

You turn the phone off, pull the SIM out, wait long enough for any information still stored in capacitive components to drain off (usually 2 or 3 minutes is suggested), put the SIM back in and restart the phone.

-Frank

memphisboy

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site

I just called Verizon out of curiosity & stated issues with dropped calls & data. The rep said he could send a network refresher signal of the network to my phone, but I had to power it off, I did and powered it up and he scheduled a follow up next tuesday to see if my issues had improved. I did notice I have data connection inside my home where before I didn't. He also stated that for every time there is a dropped call, dial ## which will log the drop into their system for tech support to view

kashabrown

Dec 14, 2010
Visit site

I pulled battery/sim card and have noticed a significant difference in my signal strength in my office at work - used to be 2 bars at the most - now seeing 4-5 bars consistently (FYI)

SHWELL

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site

What's wrong with being a "total newbie" anyway? :)

You turn the phone off, pull the SIM out, wait long enough for any information still stored in capacitive components to drain off (usually 2 or 3 minutes is suggested), put the SIM back in and restart the phone.

-Frank

To build on Franks very useful advice, holding the power button while the battery is out should speed up the capacitive discharge.. 30 seconds is usually enough.

mears

Dec 21, 2011
Visit site

Well, that didn't take long, bummer. Had another complete data dropout last night, killing my phone's battery in the process. So whatever they "updated" fixed nothing.

I Monarch

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site

Pulling the SIM does nothing, it's just the battery pull that helps. People thinking that changing a SIM card, or taking it out and blowing on it is what helps, but you can't remove most SIM cards without first removing the battery. It's a placebo for most, though. Battery pulls cure most little, minor issues.

rsb148

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site

I've had 2 Nexi and 3 sim cards. Nothing Verizon has in their arsenal (at this time) is strong enough to fix some of these problems on some of these phones.

DancesWithFarts

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site

So, I just called VZW after another connectivity dropout and was routed to tier 2 support. The person I spoke to acknowledged the issue and said she was going to "push an update" to fix it. After having me do a battery and sim card pull, she "pushed the update" and said, "that will take care of any future problems". However, my about phone screen looks exactly the same. Am I missing something?

all they did was "reset" the phone on their end, which is essentially useless. you've received no software update.

blazin247

Nov 7, 2011
Visit site

The truth is, there is nothing VZW Support can do to help. The "smart" part of this smartphone is utterly, ridiculously awesome. The "phone" part of this smartphone sucks the big one *for people in an area with poor cell reception to begin with*. I don't care about bars, or download speed, or signal strength, or whatever little quarrel people are having with one another, I care about 1) can I make and keep calls and 2) can I send texts/use data. Whereas I've never had a single (read: not one) issue with my Droid X in my house, my Galaxy Nexus is a paper weight when it's not connect to my wifi.

That Verizon told everyone an update would be available with new radio software almost a month ago, and that, for a Nexus phone, this is still not available outside of custom ROM's is a shame. It's like they new it won't fix anything, but they will drag you along until you are outside your return window. Damn shame. They will end up cutting me one hell of a deal on a Network Extender or there will be hell to pay.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Junkie XL