Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By tx_tuff
  • 1 Post By Iceman0803
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Always pressing the volume when trying to lock...

Ughhhhhhh this drives me insane about this phone. I go to lock the phone and I always press the volume at the same time, anybody else run into this issue? I would think making the lock button override the volume would fix this issue. /rant

Default Re: Always pressing the volume when trying to lock...

yes, it sucks. wish the lock/power button was at the top of the phone.

I have done it more then a few times and at first thought what a bad design. But they are set in those places for a reason, its called taking a screen shot! If they moved off switch to the top our moved the volume rocker it would be harder to take a screen shot.
    jhtheking likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by DreamSTi View Post
    Ughhhhhhh this drives me insane about this phone. I go to lock the phone and I always press the volume at the same time, anybody else run into this issue? I would think making the lock button override the volume would fix this issue. /rant
    I used to do the same at first but now, out of habit, I just slide my index finger up slightly before I hit the power button. You'll get used to doing something similar after a while.

Quote Originally Posted by tx_tuff View Post
    I have done it more then a few times and at first thought what a bad design. But they are set in those places for a reason, its called taking a screen shot! If they moved off switch to the top our moved the volume rocker it would be harder to take a screen shot.
    True. However, I lock my phone FAR more often than I take a screenshot.
    Thanked by:
    jhtheking likes this.

ROM
    4.0.3 Codename 1.5.0

I have not experienced this yet. I lock my phone with my thumb while my pointer rests just behind the down button but have never actually did a screen shot on accident. I like the power button being on the side.. Up top is annoying.

Sent from my Verizon Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
    DaPoets
    ~ Galaxy Nexus LTE Codename Android ROM 1.6 (ICS 4.0.3)
    ~ Motorola Xoom LTE Codename Android ROM 1.5.5 (ICS 4.0.3)
    ~ Droid Charge as 24/7 4G Unlimited Tether Bot on Stock
    G1000 -> PPC6600 -> PPC6700 -> OG Droid -> Galaxy S Fascinate -> Pure Bliss

Quote Originally Posted by DaPoets View Post
    I have not experienced this yet. I lock my phone with my thumb while my pointer rests just behind the down button but have never actually did a screen shot on accident. I like the power button being on the side.. Up top is annoying.

Sent from my Verizon Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Lol. I came from using a DX for a year and a half so I was used to the pwr button being on top. For the first 2 or 3 days of having the GNex I would tap the top of the phone first, realize it wasn't there, then remember it was on the right side, try to press it and inadvertently tap vol. up while doing so... Got it all worked out now though.

Doesn't bother me, although I keep my pointer finger on the back of the phone while my middle and ring grasp the side

Global Posts
    274 Global Posts
    ROM
    unlocked/rooted/stock rom

Quote Originally Posted by Iceman0803 View Post
    Lol. I came from using a DX for a year and a half so I was used to the pwr button being on top. For the first 2 or 3 days of having the GNex I would tap the top of the phone first, realize it wasn't there, then remember it was on the right side, try to press it and inadvertently tap vol. up while doing so... Got it all worked out now though.
    I feel you I was doing the same thing for the first week but I seem to have broken the habit. It just took me actually thinking about what I was doing instead of just reverting to habit.
    Nexus Prime was a better name!

Do you have a case on your phone? I found using a TPU or silicon case (especially if it covers the volume controls) that it would always hit the volume rocker when I hit the power button. One of the reasons my Nexus is now bare bones naked. Plus I just like the feeling of the phone in the hand without a case. Now I don't have any issues accidentally hitting any buttons.

It took a few days to get used to the power button being on the side but now I'm finding myself preferring its placement. With a bigger device, it's just more efficient to hit than reaching for the top of the phone (especially if you don't have big hands).
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

I do have a case on my phone at the moment. I have the VZW silicone case and the Incipio NGP case. I have tried both and cases and without the case and I still hit the volume button about 40% of the time. Its not a huge deal or a deal breaker, just an annoyance.

Every. Single. Time.

Exacerbated by the fact that I'm using the Diztronic case -- now retroactively designated "Revision 2" -- that has a nice cutout for the power button but no such cutout for the volume controls. Moreover, the case buttons for the volume control are so low-profile (or ill-defined, depending on your current level of annoyance) that even when I'm actively trying to avoid them, I somehow end up mashing them because I can't feel them clearly.

It's actually annoyed me to the point that I thought of taking a knife to the case and liberating the volume controls myself, but I saw earlier today that Diztronic has just released a "Revision 3" of the GN case that includes a cutout. Given my appalling DIY skills, it's probably better that I just cave and spend the $8 on the new case rather than completely mauling my old one. (And probably my fingers and thumbs too, in the process.)

Here's the trick. And it's simple, really. DO NOT hold the phone in your right hand. Hold it in the left hand. Thumb on the side of the phone near the left top of the phone, other four fingers on the right side of the phone, index finger on the power button. Bottom left part of the phone resting near the base of the thumb.

You'll notice when hold it like this that there's a natural gap between your thumb and the palm of your hand. What's in that natural gap? The volume controls. No part of your hand is touching the volume controls when you hold the phone this way. When you squeeze your index finger and thumb together the power is easy to turn on without touching the volume controls.

It's clear that they designed the phone to be held in the left hand.

Global Posts
    6,666 Global Posts
    ROM
    Nexus(AOKP-jb_4.2.1)

Yup I agree ,always hold the phone in my left hand
    I have never had the issue mentioned in the OP and my other phone is HTC Incredible.
    Previous phone was Moto DX.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

ROM
    Axi0m Crossbreed Mono B1

It's muscle memory. I don't hit the volume buttons nearly as much as I used to. But coming from the iphone, I still sometimes try to press the round home button when trying to wake my phone up. :-)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

I can control my thumb, So no.

Quote Originally Posted by TabGuy View Post
    DO NOT hold the phone in your right hand.
    Oh god, whatever you do, don't let any Apple websites get hold of that comment. "You're holding it wrong..."

I never have that issue. I prefer it. Also do you guys not go and look at this phone before you bought it. If

You ready for a good suggestion...

Hold the phone with your left hand (since you probably text with your right) and when you want to turn off the screen, use your index finger.

That's why they made the notification volume so low, obviously

Global Posts
    138 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by overfloater View Post
    Every. Single. Time.

Exacerbated by the fact that I'm using the Diztronic case -- now retroactively designated "Revision 2" -- that has a nice cutout for the power button but no such cutout for the volume controls. Moreover, the case buttons for the volume control are so low-profile (or ill-defined, depending on your current level of annoyance) that even when I'm actively trying to avoid them, I somehow end up mashing them because I can't feel them clearly.

It's actually annoyed me to the point that I thought of taking a knife to the case and liberating the volume controls myself, but I saw earlier today that Diztronic has just released a "Revision 3" of the GN case that includes a cutout. Given my appalling DIY skills, it's probably better that I just cave and spend the $8 on the new case rather than completely mauling my old one. (And probably my fingers and thumbs too, in the process.)
    Send them an email and they will send you a rev3 case for free.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
    Thanked by: