Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    707 Global Posts
    ROM
    GNex: CM10. N7: stock

Default Miss any old features?

I love everything about ICS, but I really miss being able to hold Menu to show/hide the keyboard. I know it's trivial, and there are still other ways to do it, but I had gotten used to that.

Anybody else have little things like this that you miss?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Default Re: Miss any old features?

Home screen doesn't rotate. No fast switching between home screens. This whole Facebook API bull.

ROM
    Stock

google maps navigation's original voice...this one sound as though she has asthma...
    marcw and DJCBlue like this.

Global Posts
    2,618 Global Posts
    ROM
    ICS 4.0.4

Quote Originally Posted by BizzyGeek View Post
    Home screen doesn't rotate. No fast switching between home screens. This whole Facebook API bull.
    When did the home screen ever rotate without using a third party app?

Sent from my Verizon Galaxy Note 2, Verizon Galaxy S4, or N7, or MacBook Air

Global Posts
    792 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I am glad facebook isn't built into the OS
    Thanked by 2:
    SassyPenguin and n0obpr0 like this.

Tbh, i miss being able to press the search button in any app to bring up search options. Thats my biggest issue so far. Other than that, ICS is pretty cool.

Not really. I've always found it best to accept the changes and just keep moving forward.
    Semper Fi
    I love my LG Nexus 5!
    Take better pictures with your cell phone camera...http://www.bigshotmoms.com/
    Thanked by 2:
    EggoEspada and jafels like this.

I miss being able to tap and hold an email message and get a context menu to delete, star, or move messages.

ROM
    4.0.3 Codename 1.5.0

I miss my phone sucking... oh wait no I don't...
    DaPoets
    ~ Galaxy Nexus LTE Codename Android ROM 1.6 (ICS 4.0.3)
    ~ Motorola Xoom LTE Codename Android ROM 1.5.5 (ICS 4.0.3)
    ~ Droid Charge as 24/7 4G Unlimited Tether Bot on Stock
    G1000 -> PPC6600 -> PPC6700 -> OG Droid -> Galaxy S Fascinate -> Pure Bliss

Quote Originally Posted by PaulDroidR2D2 View Post
    When did the home screen ever rotate without using a third party app?

Never.

Initially I missed the dedicated camera button. Go launcher takes care of it for me with its glide up/down actions.
    Now I can have the same apps on my dock that I had in GB, and I use the glide down option to launch the camera.

Global Posts
    6,667 Global Posts
    ROM
    Nexus(AOKP-jb_4.2.1)

Actually they aren't any features I really miss that much .

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

i missed the dedicated search button at first...i used that alot for voice actions and stuff...but im over it now. I have become so accustomed to doing things the ICS way that when i play around with my old droid i find it to be awkward and clumsy......and i have a hard time believing i loved that phone for 2 years.
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

Global Posts
    707 Global Posts
    ROM

Since the features you are talking about have always been either OEM skin or custom launcher, I will remind you to try the launcher route.

Funny thing about that rotation thing. If you connect the GN to your TV via HDMI it immediately rotates to landscape both on the phone and TV. In fact, you can't get it to go portrait. So, landscape option is in there.

However, if you want to do it without the TV just install the Nova launcher, it has it built in. It also has fast switching.

1) I really miss the dedicated Search button. HUGE mistake on Google's part.
    2) I really HATE with all caps intended that the Ringer and Alert volumes are tied together again, what a backwards step!

As others have mentioned I miss the dedicated search button as well. I didn't use it for in app search much but I did use it quite often for voice commands.

Other then that the only other real big thing I miss is being able to quickly put my phone in silent mode from the lock screen.

The last thing I miss isn't related to ICS but since I've been with at&t for 11 years before picking up the GN I figured I'd throw it out there. I miss being able to talk and use data at the same time.

It's not terrible, but I miss having a menu button so that I can access settings straight from the home screen.

Global Posts
    2,618 Global Posts
    ROM
    ICS 4.0.4

Quote Originally Posted by curiousgeorge View Post
    1) I really miss the dedicated Search button. HUGE mistake on Google's part.
    2) I really HATE with all caps intended that the Ringer and Alert volumes are tied together again, what a backwards step!
    Was the separate ringer and alert volumes on earlier versions of Android, part of older Nexus phones, or were those things added in by phone manufacturers?
    Nexus Ninja

ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by Urgo View Post
    The last thing I miss isn't related to ICS but since I've been with at&t for 11 years before picking up the GN I figured I'd throw it out there. I miss being able to talk and use data at the same time.
    If you are connected to 4G, you can use voice and data at the same time.
    Palm Treo 700w ~> Palm Treo 700wx ~> Blackberry Storm 9530 ~> Motorola Droid X ~> Samsung Galaxy Nexus ~> HTC Evo 4G LTE ~> Samsung Galaxy S3

Global Posts
    112 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kunji View Post
    google maps navigation's original voice...this one sound as though she has asthma...
    haha sounds like she dying ....

Separating ringer from alert volume was an Android feature back in the 2.2+ days. I just can't believe they regressed on this feature.

Quote Originally Posted by curiousgeorge View Post
    Separating ringer from alert volume was an Android feature back in the 2.2+ days. I just can't believe they regressed on this feature.
    +1.

What i dont like is the fact that when i dismiss a notification, the light at the bottom of the phone still blinks. When i dismiss a notification, i want it completely gone as if i read it.
  25. Thread Author  Thread Author    #25  

Global Posts
    707 Global Posts
    ROM

I like that this thread has remained civil, as I have seen a lot of others just turn in to people saying that they want to return the phone over something relatively minor, which then turns in to a huge argument. I mean, stick with what makes you happy, but there is a whole lot to enjoy with this phone.

Quote Originally Posted by estebancam View Post
    What i dont like is the fact that when i dismiss a notification, the light at the bottom of the phone still blinks. When i dismiss a notification, i want it completely gone as if i read it.
    This used to happen to me back on my Thunderbolt, too. I only really ever saw it with Gtalk, but it would happen a lot. It's like the alert is still active in whatever app it's related to. I would have to go in and manually click on every received comment in the conversation until the light stopped blinking. Haven't seen that on the Gnex yet, though.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast