Galaxy Nexus / ICS - accounts with sync settings set to "Push"

mtkregs

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
I've had 2 Galaxy Nexus phones (one I had to swap out due to poor-er signal / data issues). I've noticed, as I've used these phones for a while now that sometimes "push" is not actually "push". I've seen, on many occasions, a delayed sync of my Corporate Mail and Gmail accounts. Sometimes, several hours expire before syncing of these 2 "push" accounts has occurred and notified me of new mail.

It seems to be happening when I'm home in the evening and set the phone down for a while...also, when I plug the phone in for the night. When I wake up, sometimes I see notifications for mail that was received while I was sleeping, but many times I have seen the sync happen within a minute of me waking the phone up (and several notifications, from hours previous, appear). It's more obvious to me because this didn't happen with previous smartphones I've used (Blackberry, Droid 1, Bionic). I don't know if it's a Galaxy Nexus thing or an Ice Cream Sandwich thing or ???. It shouldn't be a settings issue as I leave data and WiFi on and the phone is set to always keep WiFi on during sleep. Also, I don't use task killer apps.

Has anyone else noticed this?

iBowToAndroid

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
Re: Galaxy Nexus / ICS - accounts with sync settings set to "Push

Have you installed JuiceDefender or any other app that would be able to control your data connection?

mtkregs

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
Try not plugging in for a night see what your battery does, if it's doing stuff while asleep

It just so happens that it was unplugged for most of last night. I don't see anything abnormal in the battery stats.
450ed491-7dd0-709e.jpg

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

mtkregs

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site

Hmmm...I see that this thread has had a lot of views, but no one claiming that they have the same problem. Here are a few screenshots from this morning that should explain, better, what's going on.

The lockscreen screenshot was taken immediately after I unplugged the phone when I woke up this morning. Notice that there are no notifications.
attachment.php

After the phone was awake for approx 30 seconds, I received a notification that "new" mail from my Gmail account was received. Notice the time on the messages from Amazon and Redbox vs the time in the notification bar.
attachment.php

A few minutes after that, I received a notification that "new" mail from my Corporate mail account was received. Notice that those messages came in @ 2:02am, 4:41am, and 5:03am. However, notification of those messages occurred @ approx 5:50am.
attachment.php

No, I don't want to be awakened by email while I am sleeping...but, that's not the point. Anytime, the Galaxy Nexus is set down for a period of time, then I wake it back up, notifications that should have arrived (sometimes hours before) are received very late.

Yes, both email accounts are set to "push".
Yes, I have WiFi set to always keep WiFi on during sleep.
No, I don't use any task killers.
Yes, this has happened with both Galaxy Nexus phones I have owned. Both completely stock (no root).

Something's up. I hate to say it, but getting mail on my old Palm Treo, Blackberry, and other Android devices was more reliable.

Last edited:

anon(596177)

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site

Hmmm...I see that this thread has had a lot of views, but no one claiming that they have the same problem. Here are a few screenshots from this morning that should explain, better, what's going on.

The lockscreen screenshot was taken immediately after I unplugged the phone when I woke up this morning. Notice that there are no notifications.
Click to view quoted image

After the phone was awake for approx 30 seconds, I received a notification that "new" mail from my Gmail account was received. Notice the time on the messages from Amazon and Redbox vs the time in the notification bar.

A few minutes after that, I received a notification that "new" mail from my Corporate mail account was received. Notice that those messages came in @ 2:02am, 4:41am, and 5:03am. However, notification of those messages occurred @ approx 5:50am.

No, I don't want to be awakened by email while I am sleeping...but, that's not the point. Anytime, the Galaxy Nexus is set down for a period of time, then I wake it back up, notifications that should have arrived (sometimes hours before) are received very late.

Yes, both email accounts are set to "push".
Yes, I have WiFi set to always keep WiFi on during sleep.
No, I don't use any task killers.
Yes, this has happened with both Galaxy Nexus phones I have owned. Both completely stock (no root).

Something's up. I hate to say it, but getting mail on my old Palm Treo, Blackberry, and other Android devices was more reliable.

That is a very strange problem indeed. I have a corporate email account on my phone as well, and occasionally, like very occasionally, I will notice that it takes a few minutes for it to "push" email to my phone. Most of the time it is only a few seconds behind my old blackberry.

I only ever had an issue like you describe once, but it didnt happen with just email, it happened with voicemail, text and email all at once. I woke up and checked my phone to see no notifications. 2 minutes later my phone started going crazy with email dings, txt dings, and a voicemail ding, like all the radios had just randomly shut off during the night and woke themselves back up when I pressed the power button. I dont use any batery saving apps either.

I would say check your email settings server-side, but if its happening to Gmail too then its definitely an issue with the phone somewhere. Or..... maybe with your router? Are your bars all grey when you initially hit your phone in the AM?? Sorry your pics didnt post so I wouldnt be able to see that. Try not having he phone in wifi when u go to sleep and see if it works. If you have already tried that, then I'm afraid I'm stumped.

mtkregs

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site

I would say check your email settings server-side, but if its happening to Gmail too then its definitely an issue with the phone somewhere.
I would agree that it is more likely a phone problem. There are several Android devices, other than GNex, that hit the same server and don't have the problem.

Or..... maybe with your router?
My previous Android devices didn't have this problem...and my wife's Bionic doesn't have the problem while hitting the same router.

Are your bars all grey when you initially hit your phone in the AM?? Sorry your pics didnt post so I wouldnt be able to see that.
Yes, the bars often are grey when the phone is awakened...despite being set to keep WiFi awake. You should be able to see the pics in my post now.

Try not having he phone in wifi when u go to sleep and see if it works. If you have already tried that, then I'm afraid I'm stumped.
Yep, I tried that. I'm stumped too. I think that data is going to sleep when it should not be.

anon(596177)

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site

I would agree that it is more likely a phone problem. There are several Android devices, other than GNex, that hit the same server and don't have the problem.

My previous Android devices didn't have this problem...and my wife's Bionic doesn't have the problem while hitting the same router.

Yes, the bars often are grey when the phone is awakened...despite being set to keep WiFi awake. You should be able to see the pics in my post now.

Yep, I tried that. I'm stumped too. I think that data is going to sleep when it should not be.

Nope, still can't see your pics. but that's fine I get the general gist of what's going on. You are correct in assuming that your data connection is going to sleep on you. Grey bars = No data, but I'm sure you already knew that. The only logical thing I can think of is that you have an app on your phone somewhere that is causing your data to sleep, or there is a setting off. Since you have verified your settings, apps are really all that's left.

I would say it could be a lemon, but honestly if this is your second one thats causing this issue then I'm gonna put my money on the fact that it is not.

Even if you don't believe so, would you mind humoring me with a list of installed apps on your phone? I would ask you to just take screenshots of them but seeing as how I cant see your screenshots for whatever reason I think that would be counter-productive :p

EDIT: It could also be your sim card giving you trouble. When you got a new phone you probably didnt get a new sim so that would be a similar factor in your issue. You could always try swapping your sim at a verizon store.

mtkregs

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site

It could also be your sim card giving you trouble. When you got a new phone you probably didnt get a new sim so that would be a similar factor in your issue. You could always try swapping your sim at a verizon store.

On the first Galaxy Nexus I had, before they replaced the phone they had me try a new SIM card. When they finally replaced the phone, I watched them install a new SIM card. So, I'm on my 3rd SIM card with this device.

A list of apps will take some time.

anon(596177)

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site

On the first Galaxy Nexus I had, before they replaced the phone they had me try a new SIM card. When they finally replaced the phone, I watched them install a new SIM card. So, I'm on my 3rd SIM card with this device.

A list of apps will take some time.

ugh that many eh?

Yah, a this point I dont know how much more help I can be. If you do decide to do an app list I'll look it over and help in any way I can, otherwise all I can say is sry dude, your issue has stumped me :/

Reactions: mtkregs

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2fedes