Official Signal Strength and Reception Thread

stoneynumbnuts

Aug 18, 2010
Visit site
Sitting side by side with my bionic. Bionic=4-5 bars ; nexus =0-1 bars. How is that possible? Is this a software or hardware issue on the nexus? Should i be concerned ? Is this a bug that can be fixed. Thoughts?

Cauhauna

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
Re: low signal strength?

i am having signal issues on phone calls in my hotel room (where i have been since 8/11) and i never had them with my droid x.

stoneynumbnuts

Aug 18, 2010
Visit site

Does this mean my battery life will suffer as a result. Sinve it is always working harder to get a signal ? Call quality is fine and no data drops. Just concered in rural areas will it be searching for service while my bionic would have service.

magnet

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site

check the dbm, not every phone manufacturer measures and displays bars the same. it is all about signal strength and not bars.

stoneynumbnuts

Aug 18, 2010
Visit site

Did that. The bionic and my charge have about -86 while the nexus is -100 to -120. Considerably weaker signal. Consitenly about give or take -20 higher number.

jbomb11

Banned
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
I hope it doesn't mean battery life will suffer. I'm sitting in the same spot I always do in my bed using my phone where I would get full 4g service on my charge. On my nex I have almost none.

Hope this gets fixed.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

CynicX

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site

Hard to beat motorolas radio. I have a galaxy tab for work and a xoom that I own. Side by side the xoom always has 20 - 40 db better reception with wifi and cell. I think that is the reason the xoom gets better battery life too.

Reactions: panerai7

stoneynumbnuts

Aug 18, 2010
Visit site

Sounds to me as though an exchange would not help. The issue seems pretty widespread. Seems as everyone is having the same low signal problem. Just wondering if it could be resolved with a software update or if it is the hardware and in that case it is what it is. No resolution possible. ???

skinnytoo2

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site
Motorola radios are much better than the Sammy. That's been discussed numerous times. Sucks, but might be worth it.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site

Supposedly 4.1 helps the radio more so I am sure when that comes out that should help it for those having issues.

stoneynumbnuts

Aug 18, 2010
Visit site

I understand that Motorola radios are better than samsungs. I get that. But if thats true, then why are my Samsung charge and motorola bionic very close as far as signal strength goes but the nexus is not even in the same ballpark. There shouldnt be that much of a difference. Especially since the charge and bionic are very comparable. Moto vs sammy in that comparison. Just seems as though its a issue with the nexus.

stoneynumbnuts

Aug 18, 2010
Visit site

Bionic and nexus been side by side all day. Bionic says time without signal 7% . Nexus says time without signal 68% !!! That is just crazy. These phones have been within 10 feet of each other all day. Quite a difference.

GMC MaXx

May 10, 2011
Visit site

My Nexus shows less bars than my Rezound or my Charge also. Should be a software fix eventually for it

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site

you have to remember the charge at first was not the best with signal and through updates it got better. The radio can be fixed via software and most likely will see at least one more update to help with signal.

jashanno

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site

i am on the fringe and i dont pick up a 4g signal. i did get a bar or two with the thunderbolt. Where do you get the db reading at?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon