Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree44Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #26  

Default Re: low signal strength?

^^^^ Same here. Already have a bionic with much better signal. Wondering if i should keep the nexus. Like the phone. But since i too am on the edge of service and this is my home internet ,signal strength is important to me. Wish i could look into my crystal ball and see if this issue will be fixed. Guess i got 14 days to decide if its a keeper or back to the bionic. Would really like to keep it though

Global Posts
    597 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Well signal is definitely weak which sucks! I am in my room which was always full bars or a rare three for both my thunderbolt and droid 3 and would always have 60-75dbm max and I sit here with 94dbm ugh!

Global Posts
    34 Global Posts

You have until Jan 15th to return it.
    Is it the 29th yet?

Quote Originally Posted by nkd View Post
    There was already 3g to 4g transition update from the go, so I am sure there is a reason this phone was delayed. It must have a lot to do with modem.
    That was a transition update nothing to do with the radio really.

yeah, Ive noticed a weak data signal, Ive been in places where Ive gotten fairly decent 3G with my Incredible 1 to find that I have no data at all on the Nexus. The store rep even had a hard to getting it to maintain a 3G signal after the initial setup.

I really hope this improves....
    jashanno likes this.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #31  

Quote Originally Posted by r2d2 View Post
    You have until Jan 15th to return it.
    Thought verizon return period was only 14 days. Jan 15 would be 30 days.

Quote Originally Posted by deerefan View Post
    Extended holiday return period.

They're running a holiday promotion right now.

-93 dbm 2 asu

Good or bad?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #35  

Didnt know that. Gives them alittle more time to hopefully get the kinks worked out. Thanks for the info.
    Last edited by deerefan; 12-15-2011 at 10:45 PM.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #36  

Quote Originally Posted by jbomb11 View Post
    -93 dbm 2 asu

Good or bad?
    Ehh...ok. 1 to 2 bars probaly? Should be ok at that.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
    Banned

Global Posts
    3,706 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I'm sitting at -108 dBm 32 asu right now, but still managing 11 down and 3 up.

I'm okay with the weaker signal for now as long as my speeds remain this high. (and it helps that I'm the Chicagoland market, which just expanded today)

ROM
    stock

1. Yes, Motorola has much higher quality radios so stop comparing to the Droids - you're just not gonna beat em.

2. Signal issue seems to be an LTE thing - switch over to CDMA and you'll get a 20 dBm increase running off of eHRPD instead
    ghostvzwdev (stock rooted)
    m7wls (stock rooted)
    manta (stock rooted)
    Follow me on Twitter
    Email/GTalk
    Google+
    Banned

Global Posts
    3,706 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by iBowToAndroid View Post
    1. Yes, Motorola has much higher quality radios so stop comparing to the Droids - you're just not gonna beat em.

2. Signal issue seems to be an LTE thing - switch over to CDMA and you'll get a 20 dBm increase running off of eHRPD instead
    That's what everyone's been saying in this thread. Its related to the 4G radio. It still needs tweaking.

Global Posts
    2,956 Global Posts
    ROM
    Bugless Beast 4.1.1

Incredible -78 to -83
    Nexus (3G only) -87 to -98

I've maintaining 1 bar less than the Inc (not that you can really go by that) but speed and call quality is fine. Think we may see a patch about it though, who knows.
    The Storm has cleared to an Incredible day! I ate an IceCream Sandwhich. Still needed JellyBeans. ;-)
    NEXUS!!!!!!
    Banned

Global Posts
    3,706 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by Qazme View Post
    Incredible -78 to -83
    Nexus (3G only) -87 to -98

I've maintaining 1 bar less than the Inc (not that you can really go by that) but speed and call quality is fine. Think we may see a patch about it though, who knows.
    That's the thing. Even if the signal isn't the best, as long as speed and call quality aren't affected it doesn't mean much.

I just pulled 16 down and my dBm was at -103. I have NEVER gotten speeds that fast in my house since the network first launched in my area with the Thunderbolt a year ago. (my street is on a network 'bubble' for all networks, so we tend not to get good indoor signal)
    nkd

Global Posts
    608 Global Posts

order mine from amazon, currently on droid razr(exchanging due to hotspot issues).

I get -75 to -84 in my house with the razr. My computer desk is all metal and when I move to my bed I get -75 to -79 and on my desk it is constant at -84.

I will compare this to Nexus when I get it. I am in a very good 4g coverage area. I get 10-20 download and 5-15 upload speeds.

I have thirty days to send back the razr after I recieve the GN, so If I have radio issues I might keep the razr, but I doubt I will have that issue since I seem to get a decent signal even inside my house.
    HES

Global Posts
    390 Global Posts

GN with LTE or = -120dBm, 99asu

GN on 3G = flip flopping between -100dBm, 1asu and -93dBm, 2 asu

DX = flip flopping between -89dBm, 0asu and -93dBm, 0asu

Ok the dB part I got. But what role does the asu play?

Quote Originally Posted by Droid800 View Post
    That's what everyone's been saying in this thread. Its related to the 4G radio. It still needs tweaking.
    I agree.. the LTE needs some tweaking. Not a show stopper though. At least its a phone that will receive updates, right?

Did that. The bionic and my charge have about -86 while the nexus is -100 to -120. Considerably weaker signal. Consitenly about give or take -20 higher number.
    Consistent with mine. I have a Rezound and I was consistently at -87db in my house. Side by side, the GNex is at -107dB while the Rezound is at -87dB.

Glad it's not just me.

Quote Originally Posted by Droid800 View Post
    That's the thing. Even if the signal isn't the best, as long as speed and call quality aren't affected it doesn't mean much.

I just pulled 16 down and my dBm was at -103. I have NEVER gotten speeds that fast in my house since the network first launched in my area with the Thunderbolt a year ago. (my street is on a network 'bubble' for all networks, so we tend not to get good indoor signal)
    I'm going to give it some more time, but with what I downloaded so far, my Rezound was noticeably faster.

Similar problems here.

Had a RAZR for a month. Here at my house, we are fairly rural. But the RAZR gets 2-3 bars, -90dBm 0 asu and is totally usable (3G only at the house).

The GN is 0-1 bar, -100-120dBm 1asu. When it's getting 120dBm, it's unusable. I can't get a call out.
    Loving the GN, but can't keep a phone with no signal at my house.

Sadly, I had a Sprint Epic Touch Galaxy S2. It had it's own radio problems as well (regular loss of signal). Bought it at launch time (2 months ago) and they just rolled out a fix for it this week.

I really wish this Nexus was a Moto and not a Samsung. I have much higher regard for Moto quality.

ROM
    stock

Hopefully with el Goog buying Moto, they can get them in the running for the next Nexus
    ghostvzwdev (stock rooted)
    m7wls (stock rooted)
    manta (stock rooted)
    Follow me on Twitter
    Email/GTalk
    Google+
    Banned

Global Posts
    3,706 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by bennolen View Post
    Similar problems here.

Had a RAZR for a month. Here at my house, we are fairly rural. But the RAZR gets 2-3 bars, -90dBm 0 asu and is totally usable (3G only at the house).

The GN is 0-1 bar, -100-120dBm 1asu. When it's getting 120dBm, it's unusable. I can't get a call out.
    Loving the GN, but can't keep a phone with no signal at my house.

Sadly, I had a Sprint Epic Touch Galaxy S2. It had it's own radio problems as well (regular loss of signal). Bought it at launch time (2 months ago) and they just rolled out a fix for it this week.

I really wish this Nexus was a Moto and not a Samsung. I have much higher regard for Moto quality.
    But there's something that the Nexus has that the Razr won't: Frequent updates. Google and Verizon will keep updating the radios until they're perfect, instead of waiting for one big 'fix it all' update like we're seeing with the Bionic and ET4G. It is much easier for them to update the Nexus on a frequent basis than the Razr.

Check out the Fascinate forums, It also suffers from these exact problems...
Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast