Official Signal Strength and Reception Thread

sniffs

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
Re: this is weird...still have bad signal with repeater

Are you sure that "repeater" is actually sending out a 4G signal? It could be you're still connecting to a 4G tower miles away while your friends 3G device is connecting to that device.

At least right now, micro/femto cells and in-building cell solutions are 3G only..

Last edited:

ignite023

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
4.0.4 resolved this issue for me. Much stronger 4G signal, and gets picked up almost immediately.

So... Yadd yadda yadda, i'm happier with this phone now.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

bigguy_132

Jan 14, 2010
Visit site
Nexus Dropping Signal

Hey all needing some advice on steps that I can take. I bought a Nexus off of craigslist. The phone itself is great I love it. However I am having major problems with the phone dropping signal for no reason. I am running 4.0.2 rooted stock, and can have it happen anytime. I will be sitting at my desk working and notice my phone is no longer getting work e-mail. It shows that I have a signal but when I use Browser etc then it tells me no mobile network is available and the bars go empty no signal nothing. Airplane mode sometimes fixes it but 9/10 it does not. Usually I have to reboot my phone in order to get my signal back. This is happening to me at night too when I am sleeping I will wake up to no signal. Any ideas?

anon(596177)

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Re: Nexus Dropping Signal

Hey all needing some advice on steps that I can take. I bought a Nexus off of craigslist. The phone itself is great I love it. However I am having major problems with the phone dropping signal for no reason. I am running 4.0.2 rooted stock, and can have it happen anytime. I will be sitting at my desk working and notice my phone is no longer getting work e-mail. It shows that I have a signal but when I use Browser etc then it tells me no mobile network is available and the bars go empty no signal nothing. Airplane mode sometimes fixes it but 9/10 it does not. Usually I have to reboot my phone in order to get my signal back. This is happening to me at night too when I am sleeping I will wake up to no signal. Any ideas?

Yeah, sounds like the same issue that's been talked about on here for 2 months now.

Okay, sorry I had to get that out of my system.

I'm going to assume you live in a 4g area, so instead of going into the problem, I'll simply request that you search this forum for a thread that will explain it to you.

If you dont mind modding your phone, check the GNex modding subforum in here and flash your phone to 4.0.4. That ROM has new radios that greatly decrease the occurrences of this issue, if not completely eliminate them.

MattMJB0188

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site

Yeah, sounds like the same issue that's been talked about on here for 2 months now.

Okay, sorry I had to get that out of my system.

I'm going to assume you live in a 4g area, so instead of going into the problem, I'll simply request that you search this forum for a thread that will explain it to you.

If you dont mind modding your phone, check the GNex modding subforum in here and flash your phone to 4.0.4. That ROM has new radios that greatly decrease the occurrences of this issue, if not completely eliminate them.

Is that update not yet out? Couldn't he just wait until it becomes available OTA?

anon(596177)

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site

Is that update not yet out? Couldn't he just wait until it becomes available OTA?

No its not officially out yet, and yes he could wait. I just gave an option for if he doesnt want to.

More than likely, we will be getting the 4.0.5 update in march, not the 4.0.4 update. But who knows.

bigguy_132

Jan 14, 2010
Visit site

In that case my apologies for asking I have been researching threads already...just wanted some more opinions etc.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site

Nope, although the radios are sick!

No its not officially out yet, and yes he could wait. I just gave an option for if he doesnt want to.

More than likely, we will be getting the 4.0.5 update in march, not the 4.0.4 update. But who knows.

I think that's what'll happen, but remember, we thought the same with 4.0.3 (that it'd be passed for .4).

MattMJB0188

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
A little off topic here but lets say someone flashes to 4.0.4 and then next month Verizon releases an official update? I'm assuming we can't download that over the air because we are rooted or can we?

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
A little off topic here but lets say someone flashes to 4.0.4 and then next month Verizon releases an official update? I'm assuming we can't download that over the air because we are rooted or can we?

Well no, but you can revert to a back up, lock it up/unroot, take the OTA, and then redo it all.

OR...you can flash the OTA, but that usually unroots you so you'd need to temp root or redo rooting.

Reactions: MattMJB0188

Datalux

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
Phone lost signal about an hour ago and ate 50% battery in that time. This seems to happen about once a week in the middle of a fairly strong 4G area at my work. Switching to 3G has no effect but power cycling sometimes fixes it. Frustrating!

ble1222

Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
GNex randomly dropping all signals, exchange?

As the title states, i randomly lose all signal.

It doesnt happen often, but it does happen.

Im in NYC which is a well covered area.

I know most people lose data signal time to time, but also voice signal?

I need to go to the store tonight since its the last day of 14 day worry free.

Any help would be much appreciated.

sutrebla15

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Re: GNex randomly dropping all signals, exchange?

My phone also completely loses signal on occasion, usually happens overnight while I'm asleep. I have to reboot my phone to get it back.

pimfram

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
Signal dropping getting worse

Early on, I might drop reception maybe once a day, but today it was at least 5 times. I either wait it out or toggle on and off airplane mode. Today, I dropped while trying to make a call. This is becoming a pain in the ass.

Should I talk to Verizon and see if a new Micro SIM would help or?

Just to add a bit more info, I am unlocked and not rooted, running 4.0.4.

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Re: Signal dropping getting worse

I am in the same boat.
My replacement GNEX which I have had for over a month 6 weeks is getting horrible reception in the Allentown/ Bethlehem, Easton, PA area on Route 78

I am rooted though.

berryaddicted884

May 13, 2011
Visit site

Same for me too... This is my 3rd nexus, each has had terrible signal in my home area compared to basically all other cell phones on the network.. This pisses me off that the mighty Google phone has such a crappy build quality when it comes to the antenna .

pimfram

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site

At least I'm not alone, LOL. I'm in 4G coverage every hour of every day, so there shouldn't be any problems. Random signal dropping is going to occur occasionally, I don't expect perfection. I just expect this baby to be reliable.

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site

Have any of you tried changing your network to CDMA only and rebooting? I know you want to use 4g (and you should be able to), but it might give you a stable connection.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site

I am in the same boat.
My replacement GNEX which I have had for over a month 6 weeks is getting horrible reception in the Allentown/ Bethlehem, Easton, PA area on Route 78

I am rooted though.

And you don't have the 4.0.4 radios because . . . ? Or do you?

If you're rooted and ready to party, you gotta bring a drink :).