Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 5 of 26 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast
Like Tree44Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #101  

Default Re: low signal strength?

Even with no bars i does work fine...i am concerned about it eating the battery up faster due to working harder to find a signal. I agree that it doesnt seem to affect the phone working ... but it is showing alot of time without signal and therefore chewing up the battery faster.

Quote Originally Posted by deerefan View Post
    Even with no bars i does work fine...i am concerned about it eating the battery up faster due to working harder to find a signal. I agree that it doesnt seem to affect the phone working ... but it is showing alot of time without signal and therefore chewing up the battery faster.
    This would be my concern. Some people actually think Verizon phones have better battery life when it's just cause of better signal strength.

got my phone an hour ago.. ICS is identical to the rom ive been using so no surprises.. as far as signal strength it seems about the same as my fascinate.. voice calls are clear.. so far the phone doesnt seem to have any of the problems that people are complaining about. (and yes im going to knock on wood after this post)
    FishPharm likes this.

Global Posts
    1,945 Global Posts
    ROM
    All stock right now

My signal strength is only low at my home but, all my Verizon phones have been that way. It works fine. I can receive and make calls and that's what matters.

ROM
    AOKP / Bugless Beast

Love the phone, but I went from being able to stream netflix at my desk at work with my Droid X, to barely having a signal here.

I can't keep this phone if I can't get data at work.

This blows.
    @Arevill
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by Defconrock View Post
    Love the phone, but I went from being able to stream netflix at my desk at work with my Droid X, to barely having a signal here.

I can't keep this phone if I can't get data at work.

This blows.
    maybe we all owe motorola an apology?

ROM
    AOKP / Bugless Beast

Ha I'll stick with it for a week and see if things get better.

But everything else is moot if you can't get the signal that we pay a ton of money for.
    @Arevill

I assume Verizon has a network extender/enhancer similar to Sprint. Anyone think that might work, or am I better off waiting for a future software update? I can live with a lower signal strength but I can't live with 3G only at home.

I am actually getting 1.3m down on 3G (2 bars), that's more than i was getting on my Droid Bionic.

I have not been on 4G yet. I am too far west in Miami to get any!! Freaking verizon extend 4G a few more miles west please!!

ROM
    AOKP / Bugless Beast

Is a *228 worth doing here?
    @Arevill

Quote Originally Posted by steevereeno View Post
    I assume Verizon has a network extender/enhancer similar to Sprint. Anyone think that might work, or am I better off waiting for a future software update? I can live with a lower signal strength but I can't live with 3G only at home.
    I don't think they have an LTE extender yet.

You don't do *228 with LTE phones.

ROM
    AOKP / Bugless Beast

So is there anything that can be done?
    @Arevill

So is there anything that can be done?
    Not unless you just happen to have a bad phone. I mean that would be the first thing, otherwise the only other thing would be to wait for a radio update.

Don't do that!! It can fry the sim card.

I'm still getting the same signal strength I had with my Razr. I haven't noticed anything yet.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

ROM
    AOKP / Bugless Beast

Default Re: Just a fair warning (low reception)

Droid X got a much, much better signal than the GN in my office.

Might be enough for me to scrap the phone I've been dreaming about for months.
    @Arevill

I tried a *228.
    I get Call Not Sent every time.

ROM
    AOKP / Bugless Beast

Bah and the low signal strength is just raping my battery. I'm sitting here watching it drop 1% every minutes or so.
    @Arevill

Quote Originally Posted by bennolen View Post
    I tried a *228.
    I get Call Not Sent every time.
    Don't do that, it can screw up your sim card. *228 is only for 3g phones.

Global Posts
    41 Global Posts

I have a much weaker signal in NW Ohio on the Nexus compared to my Droid X. At work I have 4G and at home I just have 3G and they are both weaker. I noticed that when I walked away from my Network Extender (3G) at home the signal would drop off quickly. I called tech support twice. First time they had me remove the battery and sim card for ten minutes. Second time we did a factory reset. I was having dropped called, no internet, and some texts would not send. It seemed to help just a little bit.

Today I took it back to the store to have them look at the settings to see if I missed something. They could not find anything setup incorrectly. They said to just keep using it and see if the problems continue.

My guess is an update will come out to fix it at some point. Hope so, it is a really great phone otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by Premium1 View Post
    Don't do that, it can screw up your sim card. *228 is only for 3g phones.
    So it appears no way to update the PRL manually then on newer phones.

On a side note, how crazy that an update command would screw up a card. In this case, the phone prevents it. I take it other phones do not.

Quote Originally Posted by bennolen View Post
    So it appears no way to update the PRL manually then on newer phones.

On a side note, how crazy that an update command would screw up a card. In this case, the phone prevents it. I take it other phones do not.
    I know some of the first lte phones did not prevent it, but looks like verizon wised up and prevented it to save some sim cards.

Can barely hold a 1x/3G connection at my apartment which is on par with the coverage I had here with the old Touch Pro 2. Will very occassionally see 4G light up here, but not enough to even matter. Getting Network Timeout Errors running Speedtest about 1/3 of the time. Called CS and asked if they thought a network extender would help and if they'll send one out to try while I'm still within the 14 day trial-period; but they want to try some troubleshooting first and I don't have an alternate line to call from here. Said I'd take it to the store in the next few days and have them take a look at it there to make sure it's not a hardware problem.

I'm sure they're already aware of the issue, but if you're having severe problems like me, please call CS and log the issue so that they can justify put some engineering resources into it ASAP!

Global Posts
    140 Global Posts
    ROM
    Honeycomb 3.0 - ICS 4.0

I've lost 10% of battery in 30 mins of little usage. Seems like its due to the radio fighting to get signal strength... It keeps bouncing from 4G to 3G and WiFi.

Noticed this right after I activated the phone.
Page 5 of 26 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast