Official Signal Strength and Reception Thread

VideoEngineerAJS

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Re: low signal strength?

I'm in High Ridge, at the bottom. So I'm in the valley of all valleys.

I know it's not just the area. My phone is at -120dBm 99 asu.
The RAZR is currently at -95dBm and 0 asu.

This is the first I've heard of asu. But it seems to make a big difference.

Oh you're in Jefferson county. Well like many have said earlier, there will probably be radio updates shortly and like I said earlier in the thread, at least the signal is stable and consistent. There were some pretty bad horror stories about the Charge when it first came out and now that the Charge has Gingerbread it appears that it's become a much better phone.

bennolen

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site

I wouldn't have a problem waiting it out normally. But I can't even use my phone for calls right now. I may have to return it soon and wait to rebuy after an announced update.

ellisz

Jan 9, 2010
Visit site

My Charge is showing -93db and I constantly switch from 1x-3g-4g at home. It will see 4g sometimes but won't keep it. I got a replacement Charge awhile back and the radio was junk. I could not make/receive calls from my house. The replacement I got after that is working fine with -93db.

If the GN is showing a higher db are you still getting calls and data? I would hate to upgrade and have a phone that won't work at my house for calls ;( I have considered the home repeater that VZW sells but it is pricey.

I really want the GN but it has to work at my house ...

Someone posted in another thread that the Nexus S had radio issues and it could not be fixed by software fixes ...

philly

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site

thanks to everyone who cried and moaned "PUSH IT OUT" without it being ready. If I get my phone today and my signal is trash im going to be pissed about paying another restocking fee.

I know some of you dont care about your phone actually working as a phone (no idea why you dont just buy tablets.. same price or cheaper and twice as powerful)

guinnkevinr

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site

Sitting side by side with my bionic. Bionic=4-5 bars ; nexus =0-1 bars. How is that possible? Is this a software or hardware issue on the nexus? Should i be concerned ? Is this a bug that can be fixed. Thoughts?

My nexus only shows 1-2 bars in places my razr had full bars but I haven't noticed any issues with speeds nor call reception issues..

FishPharm

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site

thanks to everyone who cried and moaned "PUSH IT OUT" without it being ready. If I get my phone today and my signal is trash im going to be pissed about paying another restocking fee.

I know some of you dont care about your phone actually working as a phone (no idea why you dont just buy tablets.. same price or cheaper and twice as powerful)

Just relax till you get your phone. No need to start bashing people before you see if the phone that you don't even have yet works.

ellisz

Jan 9, 2010
Visit site

I would think that if your not dropping calls or losing reception then it is fine but some apparently can't make calls where their previous phone did?

tk-093

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site

Verizon releasing the GN when they did had nothing to do with who whined about about it not being released yet... None of us are that important. :)

Reactions: FishPharm

stoneynumbnuts

Aug 18, 2010
Visit site

This may sound strange to alot of you, but the more i use my nexus the more i like my bionic. The nexus may go back till the bugs are fixed , mainly signal strength if it is even fixable with an update.

The bionic has good signal , i can wireless tether withit and everything works as expected. There is alot i like about the nexus, but also alot i dont like. For my needs the bionic just seems like a better option. Why pay all this money to upgrade to a phone thats not guite yet ready for prime time. Thats just my opinion. Please dont fry me for it. LOL. And the battery life doesn't seem the best either.

Reactions: bennolen

VideoEngineerAJS

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site

This may sound strange to alot of you, but the more i use my nexus the more i like my bionic. The nexus may go back till the bugs are fixed , mainly signal strength if it is even fixable with an update.

The bionic has good signal , i can wireless tether withit and everything works as expected. There is alot i like about the nexus, but also alot i dont like. For my needs the bionic just seems like a better option. Why pay all this money to upgrade to a phone thats not guite yet ready for prime time. Thats just my opinion. Please dont fry me for it. LOL. And the battery life doesn't seem the best either.

Well going from a Bionic to the Galaxy Nexus isn't really much of a jump so quite frankly I don't know why so many people are doing it. I on the other hand went from the Storm to the Thunderbolt in March, and then from the Thunderbolt to the Galaxy Nexus yesterday. So I'm willing to take the bugs that are here and there. I did the same thing with the Thunderbolt and it is a really good phone now that will have a great rest of its life with my mother.

philly

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site

Just relax till you get your phone. No need to start bashing people before you see if the phone that you don't even have yet works.

you're right.. Im just upset that the phone is getting so many people reporting weak signal.. almost not even excited for my package anymore. I'll just wait and see when my phone gets here.

stoneynumbnuts

Aug 18, 2010
Visit site

I argree the bionic to the nexus isnt that much of an upgrade. Not worth opening another line (that i dont need) paying $300 and extra service on a new line for 2 years just to have the "latest and greatest" I probably will buy another in a few months off craigslist or ebay for 300 or so. By then it will work better im sure and i dont have all the extra expense like i have now.

FishPharm

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site

you're right.. Im just upset that the phone is getting so many people reporting weak signal.. almost not even excited for my package anymore. I'll just wait and see when my phone gets here.

No worries man. I noticed the lower signal strength compared to my Razr but it doesn't seem to come into play when your using the phone. It almost seems like there is really 3 or 4 bars when in fact its only showing 1. Let us know if this is the case when you get yours.

pdub73

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site

even with "less bars" the internet performance doesn't seemed to be affected...I'm coming from a Droid X so comparing the signal strength to the Nexus isn't a fair comparison...but I hav't had any problem surfing the web, downloading apps, or streaming netflix...and I don't have 4G coverage where I live, I have to get closer to the city to get LTE signal...I work in the airport where there is hardly any cell phone signal because of various reasons, I will see how it acts when I go into work tomorrow...but I'm betting it won't be any better or worse then my Droid X

jpprice

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site

I have noticed less bars as well. Sometimes I even have no bars, but internet and phone calls are not affected.

jafels

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site

My signal strength seems better compared to my original droid. Im getting a strong signal (-65 dbm) and ive got 4 bars.......all this at my work where I had trouble with signal strength with my Droid. Go figure.

Ken7

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Re: Just a fair warning (low reception)

This is my first 4g and android phone. I had a blackberry before and its signal strength was hit or miss. I work in NYC and my blackberry would have full 3g bars, my nexus has two 4g...a little disappointing but it still works fine. I also noticed at home I'd get 1-2 bars of 3g on my BB but nothing would ever work (calls, texting etc). I get 1 bar of 4g but everything works fine.

Is the signal bar just extremely innacurate?

I don't think so. When my bars are really low, I'm in danger of dropping the 4G. So I see a direct correlation between low 4G signal and being on the verge of dropping 4G all together.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleezzyy21