Taking a Verizon Galaxy Nexus to Europe

mathmos_

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Hello,

I currently live in Denmark, but for the next 4-5 months I'll be studying in America and I need a new phone. I thinking of getting the Galaxy Nexus, but I'm worried about if I can take it back to Denmark when I'm done studying. It's cost around 300 dollars with a Verizon subscription, but then have to have the 2 year contract which sucks for me when I move back to Denmark, and it cost around 650 dollars unlocked.

Is it possible for me to buy the phone with Verizon and then when I move back to Denmark, jailbreak it and use my Danish subscription? And what consequences will that have? Or do I have to buy the unlocked version? Any other tips?

Thanks

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
So many thoughts.... first, a 2 yr contract is too much, even with any type of Early Termination Fee... next, do you have CDMA carriers in Denmark that you can connect to if you brought this back, and would they be able to connect a Verizon phone to it... aren't most European phone networks using GSM networks???

I guess I'd be look at what I'd want to do when I got back... maybe look for a GSM version that I could buy and use on our networks, so that might mean using a GSM version on either AT&T or T-Mobile and see if either has a monthly pay as you go plan. I'm fairly sure T-Mobile has this type of plan, but I don't know the details... but you should also check with AT&T to see what they have.

Just a few thoughts.

NotJustAPhone

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
Sounds like the Verizon version would not work well for you. You should look into buying the unlocked GSM version and using it with AT&T or T-Mobile while you're in the US, rather then getting the Verizon LTE version. I don't believe that the Verizon Galaxy Nexus is compatible with European phone networks.

Sent using Tapatalk

Jdm4292

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
Pick one up before you come over they aren't available subsidized yet unless you're on verizon.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

ShiZero

May 28, 2011
alliszero.deviantart.com
Save yourself the trouble and get the GSM Nexus. With a prepaid ATT/Tmobile plan you can use it while you're here, and when you go back home just grab a local Sim and profit.

You'll be spending triple the $350 you paid for your VZW Nexus over the course of two years of compared to some other carriers anyway. It's not worth the hassle.

mathmos_

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Thanks guys. I'm not quite sure where to get the GSM version though. I can't find anything on T-mobile or AT&T's websites. Is it verizon exclusive in America?

MowDownJoe

Regular lawnmower man...
Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, it's Verizon exclusive here. Try somewhere more local to you. Or if you have to get it while in America, import from Canada.

NotJustAPhone

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
Thanks guys. I'm not quite sure where to get the GSM version though. I can't find anything on T-mobile or AT&T's websites. Is it verizon exclusive in America?

At this time Verizon is the only carrier offering the Galaxy Nexus in the US. The GSM version is not yet officially sold in the US.

You should get the GSM version in Europe, which will work on the AT&T and T-Mobile networks in the US.

Sent using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Comineeyeaha

Apr 11, 2010
Visit site

Yeah, you'll want to buy the phone outright over there, and then when you get here to the states look for a prepaid plan on t-mobile (I don't think AT&T will have the same options)

Fun fact: I just learned that my keyboard doesn't type & anymore. I had to copy/paste from your quote. What a strange problem.

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
Carphone Warehouse out of England might be a very good option for you to buy one... but this device has been available in Europe for GSM carriers over there for at least a month before it was available in the US.

Comineeyeaha

Apr 11, 2010
Visit site
Carphone Warehouse out of England might be a very good option for you to buy one... but this device has been available in Europe for GSM carriers over there for at least a month before it was available in the US.

Agreed. I was shopping for phones over there a couple months ago (almost moved to Ireland) and carphone warehouse had good prices.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

bmolloy

Mar 25, 2010
Visit site
Okay. Thanks a lot everybody.

Hi Mathmos.

I would recommend getting the GSM galaxy Nexus where you live if they have them there. If you can't get it at home anywhere you order it online should be fine, I got mine at Negri Electronics. The good news is when you take it home it will work with your carrier.

When you get here I would recommend getting an account with T-Mobile pay as you go. They have a 5GB data (4G HSPA+), unlimited texting and 100 minutes talk time for $30 per month. If you are not staying there is absolutely no reason to lock into a contract.

The US cell phone prepaid rates are pretty bad, this T-Mobile is by far the best deal. If you go over the 100 minutes it is only 10 cents per minute, so you have to do a lot of talking to make it expensive.

Your other option is to get a simple mobile sim card. They have an unlimited everything for $40 per month on 3G and an unlimited everything on 4G (HSPA+) for $60 per month, no contract. Their website is mysimplemobile dot com . Simple Mobile uses T-Mobiles towers.

AT&T has terrible prepaid options if you are at all interested in using more than a tiny amount of data, not really worth looking into.

Make sure to check that T-Mobile has coverage where you are going to be studying. They are pretty good in the metropolitan areas of the US, it is a little sparse coverage-wise in rural areas.

The reality is the LTE and CDMA are great here in the states but it simply doesn't work in the rest of the world, so why buy a phone that is only going to serve you for 4 months? Get the GSM version, your speedtests will not look as good as they guy standing next to you with a Verizon version in an LTE area but when you go home it will work just as good as it does here. Hope this helps.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12