Using HDMI Out and USB Host Simultaneously

Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I understand the Nexus has HDMI Out and USB Host. Can the two be used simultaneously? Specifically, I'm wondering if I can have a USB Keyboard and a USB Mouse providing input while I'm viewing the screen on a monitor? (Essentially a mini-netbook.)

Thanks in advance,
Andrew

PS. I am specifically referencing the Samsung Galaxy Nexus offered by Verizon

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
With the response of "You need to buy a mhl adapter to use the hdmi" I would say it has HDMI output.

But the question was, 'can have a USB Keyboard and a USB Mouse providing input while I'm viewing the screen on a monitor'.

If someone knows the answer then please provide, as someone else may want to know. I purchased the Razor today, so I no longer care.

Regards,
Andrew

ShinyTop

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
Actually you received the correct answer. If Umass21 made any mistake it was assuming you knew some basics about the phone you were asking about. The Nexus has one microusb port. That means you can connect one USB connector for your keyboard/mouse or the MHL connector for HDMI output. I think somebody asking for help might want to be be a little less combative, a little slower with the thumbs down.

sprunka

Mar 7, 2011
about.me
I think the real question that could have been asked to get the answer that the OP wanted to hear would have been:

"Does anyone know if there exists a MHL->HDMI converter that also has a female USB port? Or a USB OTG cable that also incorporates an HDMI out? Can such a device even conceivably exist? Can the micro USB port on the Galaxy Nexus be accessed as both MHL and USB Host at the same time, if one has the proper converter?"

Or some such.

And actually, these are questions I'd like to know the answer to, as Google is failing me currently.

jdbower

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
MHL is either HDMI or USB, but not both at the same time. The USB port on MHL adapters is for power only, hooking it up to an OTG adapter won't work I'm afraid. However, you can look into a Bluetooth keyboard/mouse which should work just fine in HDMI mode.

smwinn7

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
Has anyone tried using MHL and an OTG Cable to connect to a Motorola Lapdock, I came from a Bionic to the Nexus, I've got all the cables I think need on order. I'm just wondering if some has tried this yet.

smokie11

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Ugh what? No it doesn't. LOL, if I get a Micro USB to Parallel , it doesn't mean the phone has a parallel port. It means it has a Micro USB.

How about it has the ability to output an HDMI signal thru a micro usb port with the use of an adapter. therefore it does have an HDMI output. Semantics... they are so much fun.

smokie11

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
I understand the Nexus has HDMI Out and USB Host. Can the two be used simultaneously? Specifically, I'm wondering if I can have a USB Keyboard and a USB Mouse providing input while I'm viewing the screen on a monitor? (Essentially a mini-netbook.)

Thanks in advance,
Andrew

PS. I am specifically referencing the Samsung Galaxy Nexus offered by Verizon

Yes you can. As already stated the mhl adapter to tv HDMI input and you connect a keyboard with mouse pad via Bluetooth to your Nexus and you have everything your phone can bring on a big screen.

michaelltaylor

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
None of these answers help what I'm trying to do, and I think it's what the OP is working toward as well. Where I work, we are provided thin client terminals with USB input only. There is no Bluetooth adapter. I can use the MHL adapter to output my phone's screen to my monitor, and I can connect my USB keyboard and mouse using a small hub. I don't have the necessary cabling to connect both at the same time. I do not want to have two keyboards, two mice, and two monitors at my desk. Instead, I'd like to use a KVM switch to connect both my thin client and my phone to my peripherals, but I don't want to spend the money to purchase and/or hack cabling if it's not going to work. I don't mind trying it if nobody knows, but if someone can answer this question, then it would save me, and probably the OP, a little time and money.

So basically, the question is... if we have the proper cabling to connect both at the same time, will the phone support them?

liveglow

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
I've been trying to get this working but no luck so far.
- USB OTG cable works fine on its own with USB keyboard/mouse.
- HDMI adapter works but its micro USB port is for power only.

For the most part these only work if they are connected directly to the phone. Even most docks don't pass the signals. The only exception is the EZO dock which seems to play nice.

Other than the EZO dock, I haven't found any cables/connectors that work between either the OTG or HDMI cable to the phone which is probably a prerequisite for making this work.

Has anyone else had better luck?

billr

Aug 22, 2010
Visit site
The basic answer is no, there is not a combination of cabling that will work with this phone. When it is streaming video, the USB signal lines are used for sending the video and are not available for normal USB functions. Even if you had a USB hub, it wouldn't help because that still goes back to the phone which will support only one or the other. It's a hardware limitation.

billr

Aug 22, 2010
Visit site
Yes, it would. If the phone implemented the 11-pin interface, you could get simultaneous USB and MHL. The Galaxy Nexus, though, has the 5-pin connector, which does not have that capability.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance