Slingbox Pro HD with Galaxy Nexus

TheNexusMan

Jun 27, 2011
Visit site
I've been wanting to get a Slingbox Pro HD for a while and would love to use it with my Galaxy Nexus, however, I never know what reviews to trust, so I'm totally confused. Some people say the Slingbox pro HD is the best thing ever, while others say it is terrible, has terrible customer service, and it never works. Do any of you out there have it? I'm especially interested in hearing back from pople who have it and use it on a Galaxy Nexus. Should I get one? Please let me know!

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I've been wanting to get a Slingbox Pro HD for a while and would love to use it with my Galaxy Nexus, however, I never know what reviews to trust, so I'm totally confused. Some people say the Slingbox pro HD is the best thing ever, while others say it is terrible, has terrible customer service, and it never works. Do any of you out there have it? I'm especially interested in hearing back from pople who have it and use it on a Galaxy Nexus. Should I get one? Please let me know!

There was another thread on this topic last week.

The Slingbox Pro HD works great for me on my Nexus. In fact it works far better on my Nexus than it ever did on my Bionic, or even on my Xoom.

thomed

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
After reading bad reviews about the Slingbox, especially it's customer support or lack thereof, I just bought a Vulkano from Amazon for $100, figured it was worth the risk.

It works amazingly well, no issues so far.

lakedubvt

Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
Slingbox works great on my Nexus, never had to deal with their customer service so can't comment on that. Using it with my comcast box.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Disclaimer: I have an HTC Thunderbolt, not a Nexus, but I do have a Slingbox, and have been using it for years now (I'm on my 2nd one). I currently have a Slingbox Solo model.

First of all, to simply answer the question about using the slingbox on your phone...I find it works very well. i have both the phone app and the tablet version for my Galaxy 10.1. No complaints; it connects every time and I've never had any real issues with it.

Now, the actual quality of the video and your overall slingbox experience will depend on a few factors (regardless of whether watching on phone or remote computer via Internet)...
1. Your in-house setup. Slingbox requires component video for HD feeds. As far as I know, HDMI is not supported, so if you currently use HDMI with your cable box (or satellite receiver, etc), you may run into some problems.*
2. You home Internet situation. Slingbox requires a dedicated WIRED ethernet connection. I have attempted to use wireless gaming adapters with the Slingbox with a moderate degree of success, but the bottom line is that you REALLY want to have a wired connection available to run to your slingbox if you really want to expect it to work as described.
3. Bandwidth. This is on both ends. In order to get the best quality for remote viewing, you obviously need to have sufficient upload bandwidth from your home ISP. If you have cable or FIOS, for example, you' should be OK, if you have DSL or slower, your video quality will probably suffer. On the flip side, if you're trying to watch slingbox on your phone, obviously a 4G or Wifi signal will give pretty good results, but watching over 3G can will yield a noticeably more blurry and or choppy when it comes to video quality.

Bottom line, if you have a decent high-speed Internet connection available at your house to use with the Slingbox in a location convenient to connect to a cable box (or other compatible device), you'll probably find it works very well. If you're expecting to use WIFI to connect your slingbox to your home network or if you're expecting crystal clear quality while watching on your phone over 3G, you'll be quite disappointed. I'd definitely recommend the product, but also advise on evaluating how and where in your home you'll be trying to set it up and whether your home Internet connection is good enough to support it before making the purchase.

*Some devices do allow concurrent HDMI and component output, others do not. If you require an HDMI connection to your TV with the device you're planning to use, I'd test having component video attached concurrently with another display, or plan on only using the component video output. The standard Slingbox setup has you run the component video out to your slingbox device, which then connects to the TV via component output.

Aguaski

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
I have had a Slingbox Solo for over 2 years. Worked great on my Droid Incredible and now love it on my Galaxy Nexus. I also use it frequently on a larger laptop and a netbook. Wish I had the HD version, but I find the Solo to be fairly sharp on the Nexus screen. As far as customer service goes, I have not had an occasion to work with Slingbox. I find their product to work as advertised, and to be easy to set-up. There just has not been that much of a need for me to require customer service.

Umass021

Feb 16, 2010
Visit site
I have had it for almost 2 years now with no problems. Works every time. I use it with a direct tv hd box. My father who also bought one 6 months ago and uses it with a charter and a dvd player with no issues. I use it on my tablet and haven't seen a problem yet either. I stream it on my computer and my phone all the time. Sometime I leave it running in the background when I am using my laptop to hear a game playing and can quickly switch back to watch it.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
I have had a Slingbox Solo for over 2 years. Worked great on my Droid Incredible and now love it on my Galaxy Nexus. I also use it frequently on a larger laptop and a netbook. Wish I had the HD version, but I find the Solo to be fairly sharp on the Nexus screen. As far as customer service goes, I have not had an occasion to work with Slingbox. I find their product to work as advertised, and to be easy to set-up. There just has not been that much of a need for me to require customer service.

Unless things have changed since I bought mine, there is no difference in the video quality between the Solo and the HD version of slingbox hardware.

Both support HD input (albeit via component video and not HDMI), but the primary difference is that the Slingbox HD support multiple devices, such as a cable box and DVD player.

The quality of video you see on the client side depends on the bandwidth available both outgoing from the Slingbox and incoming to your device accessing the stream.

TabGuy

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site

May I be so bold as to suggest an alternative?

I looked hard and long at the Slingbox. However, I settled upon the Vulkano Flow by Monsoon. I did this simply because it's cheaper. I'm glad I did as the Vulkano works perfectly. I've used it on my Thunderbolt, my Galaxy Tab 10.1 and now with the Galaxy Nexus and the picture quality is absolutely stunning.

It connects to your cable box or Xbox via component cables so you get the best widescreen picture available.

The cost of the Vulkano Flow is $100. The client is $12.99 for a license that runs on all your Android devices. Total cost $112.99. I got mine at Fry's Electronics. Compare that to the SlingBox which costs a minimum of $200.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
May I be so bold as to suggest an alternative?

I looked hard and long at the Slingbox. However, I settled upon the Vulkano Flow by Monsoon. I did this simply because it's cheaper. I'm glad I did as the Vulkano works perfectly. I've used it on my Thunderbolt, my Galaxy Tab 10.1 and now with the Galaxy Nexus and the picture quality is absolutely stunning.

It connects to your cable box or Xbox via component cables so you get the best widescreen picture available.

The cost of the Vulkano Flow is $100. The client is $12.99 for a license that runs on all your Android devices. Total cost $112.99. I got mine at Fry's Electronics. Compare that to the SlingBox which costs a minimum of $200.

I've never used the Vulkano Flow, but it does sound like a nice alternative. The Android Slingbox app will run you ~$30. If you have an Android tablet, the phone version of the slingplayer does work (in fullscreen), however if you want the additional tablet features, you would also have to shell out an additional $30 for the tablet version. To me, that did feel like a bit of a ripoff -- I didn't mind paying for the app in the first place, but I wasn't happy about having to spend additional $$$ on the tablet version (although like I said, the phone version of the Slingplayer does at least work on tablets).

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maximusdebois