So, I exchanged my Nexus...

mears

Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
for another Nexus. Hopefully, this one doesn't drop all mobile connectivity. It did start off on the wrong foot by dropping all connectivity while activating, but since then it's been fine. I also took a look at the Rezound display model, which was right next to the Nexus. Both were in 4G, with the Rezound at -69dbm and the Nexus -85dbm.

I currently haven't upgraded from 4.0.1 to 4.0.2. I'm thinking about testing 4.0.1 since I've heard at least one person has had better luck with 4.0.1. Is there a way to disable the update nags?

Update: http://forums.androidcentral.com/ve...0-so-i-exchanged-my-nexus-11.html#post1549514

Last edited:

ohiomoto

Oct 31, 2011
Visit site
I exchanged mine on Friday. My signal issues on my old unit went away after I flashed a fresh 4.0.2 ROM, but it was still doing it random reboot act. So far the new unit is working flawlessly.

mears

Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
F#@!, F#@!, F#@!, F#@!

That didn't take long. Now I get to try and negotiate a return after an exchange. What an epic disappointment. I'm happy for those of you without issues, but for me, this phone has been an absolute joke, and I think the perception of it would be quite different *if* other phones had ICS and it wasn't a Nexus branded device.

Mastaking

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
Sorry you are having service issues. If you were still getting data i wouldve suggested ignoring the signal but no data at all is a bummer.

stabbedintheface

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
I have a weird issue where after I drop off wireless I have to reboot to get decent speeds.

Like I'll have 4 bars of 3G but will have 120kbps down and like 15kbps up.

Is this the same issue you have?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

dubge

Dec 21, 2009
Visit site
Ya I get the no data at all here and there. I really like the phone otherwise and hope there is a fix for it. I would hate to burn my last upgrade to get away from this phone. I can deal with it for a while for now.

B

budmonster

This is why I got a different phone, returned my Nexus. Phone is so over-hyped, getting pretty sick of it. It's a developers phone, nothing more, don't care what anyone says. Dropped calls, terrible signal strength, 4G but getting 3G speeds, needed a bunch of 3rd party apps to fix issues like sound, etc.

brownhornet

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
This is why I got a different phone, returned my Nexus. Phone is so over-hyped, getting pretty sick of it. It's a developers phone, nothing more, don't care what anyone says. Dropped calls, terrible signal strength, 4G but getting 3G speeds, needed a bunch of 3rd party apps to fix issues like sound, etc.

Why I probably wont get it when it comes to Sprint unless they make some drastic changes.

VideoEngineerAJS

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site

Clearly there are some bad batches of phones out there because I have absolutely NO issues whatsoever. I mean none. In fact now that I've had the phone 6 days shy of a month, it is getting better by the day. I think this phone honestly just needed to be "broken in" for lack of a better term.

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site

Too funny. It's only a "developers phone" because, being a Nexus, it's more directly tied to Google, so it gets quicker Google updates. This allows developers to test apps on the latest version of the OS. That also encourages the development community to pay more attention to it, creating more customizations and ROMs. That's it. It's still an Android phone like any other, and you get more choices in how you might play with the device. The biggest difference is that it's always living on the bleeding edge of software, which is where more unresolved bugs exist.

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site
Clearly there are some bad batches of phones out there because I have absolutely NO issues whatsoever. I mean none. In fact now that I've had the phone 6 days shy of a month, it is getting better by the day. I think this phone honestly just needed to be "broken in" for lack of a better term.

Same here. No issues with anything. The only gripe I have about the phone is the lower speaker volume on the speaker phone, but that's largely personal opinion. Now that I've gotten used to it, it isn't an issue.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
Too funny. It's only a "developers phone" because, being a Nexus, it's more directly tied to Google, so it gets quicker Google updates. This allows developers to test apps on the latest version of the OS. That also encourages the development community to pay more attention to it, creating more customizations and ROMs. That's it. It's still an Android phone like any other, and you get more choices in how you might play with the device. The biggest difference is that it's always living on the bleeding edge of software, which is where more unresolved bugs exist.
So you are basically trading usability and reliability for the novelty of new updates sooner than everyone else, and slightly more customization options.

Not that thats a bad thing necessarily...but I dont think Google advertised it like that and I think a lot of people were misled into expecting a fully functional device. I came very close to getting a GN and am glad I changed my mind at the last minute. It isnt an "Android phone like any other" because most other Android phones do not have these problems.

VideoEngineerAJS

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
So you are basically trading usability and reliability for the novelty of new updates sooner than everyone else, and slightly more customization options.

Not that thats a bad thing necessarily...but I dont think Google advertised it like that and I think a lot of people were misled into expecting a fully functional device. I came very close to getting a GN and am glad I changed my mind at the last minute. It isnt an "Android phone like any other" because most other Android phones do not have these problems.

Again, I fail to have these "problems" that people speak of. Which would those be?

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site

You're not at all trading usability and reliability. My Nexus is running flawlessly. There will always be people who have issues with newer devices. Just read through the first few months of ANY new phones forum. As to those, I would attribute over 80% of all issues to conflicts with apps that users tend to install that conflict with the phone/OS. That's both the beauty and the bane of Android being such an open platform and opening to flood gates to the market (app development). It means we're going to get some apps that cause problems. The alternative is to get an iphone where Apple controls everything. Any phone that came out as being the first to run ICS would also have issues, though I still believe most all those issues are related to app/OS conflicts. This is why so many of us do NOT have problems. It may seem like there are many problems from reading the forums, but that's what the forums are for...trying to iron out problems. If you don't want to have the latest, then just buy something else. Of coarse, then you'll (not you specifically) complain about it having an old OS and constantly fill the forums with questions about when you're going to get an update.

Last edited:
Reactions: crzycrkr

davey11

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
You appear to be one of the lucky ones then. The guy in Post #3 is not isolated from what I can tell on these forums.

Count me in as one of the "lucky" ones, and I suspect many countless others are "lucky". No issues period.

Plus after flashing the updated 403 radios and custom rom and kernel, this thing is a beast of a kicka** phone. :p

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
You're not at all trading usability and reliability. My Nexus is running flawlessly. There will always be people who have issues with newer devices. Just read through the first few months of ANY new phones forum. As to those, I would attribute over 80% of all issues to conflicts with apps that users tend to install that conflict with the phone/OS.
I think it is a mistake to dismiss these radio issues as trivial.

If you don't want to have the latest, then just buy something else.
Which is what I just said...you are making a trade off. If having the latest is worth it for you, then usability/reliability can take a back seat.

Of coarse, then you'll (not you specifically) complain about it having an old OS and constantly fill the forums with questions about when you're going to get an update.
If it is a choice between that or having a phone with basic functions that work, I will take the latter. I am perfectly happy to let GN users beta test the software if they want to. I do think Google should make that clear in their advertising though. The GN is not "really" getting ICS first. They are getting the ICS beta first.

youngzayiles

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
I have no issues with mine... I could understand that getting no signal is unacceptable.. I have none of those issues and my phone is blazing fast!

SpaceHippie

Journeyman
Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
Haha i just got back from the Verizon store. Loved the nexus ALOT. But once i saw the price drop on the Rezound i had to pounce before the return window closed. There was just no way i could justify the extra hundred bucks lol. Good luck to all you Nexus users though. And im still available if anyone has questions pertaining to the mac. :)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463