Google voice question

sisblub

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I have a question about Google voice on the nexus, although I guess its not really a question about the nexus itself.

I currently have Google voice with my Google voice number coming to my cell phone. If someone makes a call to my Google voice number and I use my cell phone to receive it, do I still get charged carrier minutes for answering it on my cell phone?

Might sound like a dumb question but I was hoping to use my Google voice number for work and I was hoping that calls received via the Google voice number wouldn't count against my carrier minute plan. Thanks

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

dano272

Oct 27, 2009
Visit site
If you hang a landline onto your gv# and answer the call on the landline that call wont count against your minutes. Obvious I know but just wanted to mention it.

trmoney24

Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
one solution is to set your Caller ID to show your google voice number when someone calls it instead of the caller's number. then in your friends and family, add your google voice number in that list. now you will have free incoming calls when someone calls your google voice number.
you can also make free outgoing calls as well by dialing your google voice number, then hit option 2.
you could set the app to make ALL calls with google voice, but the app uses a different number for each person you call so technically verizon will think you are making calls to different numbers, not your google voice, hence charging you minutes.

Fahrenheit

Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, I use Flex Dialer Pro widget to do this. It automatically dials Google voice number, hits 2, and dials the phone number. My GV number is set for Friends And Family. Free Calls.

sisblub

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
So you can set your caller ID to show your Google voice number for all incoming calls? Where do you do that?

Also, what's option 2 when you dial your Google voice number? And its asking me for a pin when I dial my Google voice number from my cell phone, where do I go to set that up? Sorry for all the questions!

sisblub

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
So I went online and I found the option for the caller ID to display my Google voice number for all incoming calls. But I still don't know where to find my four digit pin that it asks for when I call my Google voice number on my phone, I don't remember ever setting up a four digit pin

Fahrenheit

Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
So I went online and I found the option for the caller ID to display my Google voice number for all incoming calls. But I still don't know where to find my four digit pin that it asks for when I call my Google voice number on my phone, I don't remember ever setting up a four digit pin

You can set the pin if you log into www.google.com/voice . Click the gear icon and go to settings (or voice settings), then click the "Voicemail & Text" tab. You should see some boxes for Voicemail PIN and confirmation.

mtmjr90

Apr 17, 2010
Visit site
If you're okay with VoIP (wifi or decent LTE connection is best), check out Groove IP (https://market.android.com/details?id=com.gvoip). If you use VoIP it won't count against your minutes, though if you use it over 3G/4G it will count against your data. I have my GNex on Airplane mode at home and use Groove for calls and the GV app for texting...saves battery:)

sisblub

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
OK I think I have everything set up, and I'm kind of excited to try it out and see if this works! If it does, then this is the perfect setup to get free calls for my work related calls! Thanks guys for all your help!

sisblub

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Oops I spoke too soon, I thought it may have just been a fluke but I can't seem to make phone calls using my google voice number. I installed the flex dialer and put in my pin and everything, but when it dials it rings twice and then I get the busy tone. Any ideas?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samahmed336699